Zeagle D50 1st stage failure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chuck Perry

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A while back I bought (for my wife) a Zeagle D50 on eBay. It was advertised as essentially 'new old stock' in that it was some years old but had never been used. When it arrived I had no trouble believing this as it was in clearly unused condition.

It came with 2 Zeagle 2nd stages and I added a Miflex LP inflator hose and an Aladin Air computer.

Up to yesterday it had done maybe 5 dives and when I opened the valve on the tank there was a loud pop sound and one of the second stages started alternating between free flowing and 'barking' in rapid succession.

There was slightly less than 200 Bar in the tank so it wasn't an over pressure scenario.

I turned off the valve and then slowly turned it back on - the 'cover' at the top end of the 1st stage exited straight up and the 1st stage started to free flow through the now open top.

Interesting.

Thoughts?

Its my first time on this board as a member - when I work out how to add a pic I will. Do I need to host the pics on another site and link to that?

I realise there is no warranty issue here but I am curious to understand this and will email Zeagle with pics too and get their thoughts.

I'm just really glad it happened before entering the water and not at depth and/or inside a wreck.

This is the type of failure that can easily be avoided with an inspection. If you can't or won't do it, then you should pay someone you trust to do it.

Do you have a local shop that can service the reg? (looks like you are in Vanuatu)

It may be interesting to understand what has failed, but it would appear it a significant failure and servicing is required.

Hi Chuck,

Welcome to ScubaBoard.

It sounds like runaway intermediate pressure which is an issue with the first stage. If my guess is correct, the first stage did not did not regulate the high pressure gas down to the correct pressure which caused the second stage to freeflow. Then, the lifter pushed the diaphragm and the following components up and dislodged the environmental (hydrostatic) diaphragm. The runaway was most likely due to a bad high pressure seat or perhaps one of the stem o-ring seals.

Definitely time for a rebuild, but as Awap mentioned, a few simple checks could have detected this before it became an issue. See this sticky for a start:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/346813-regulator-inspection-checklist-rev-7-a.html

Couv

Well, we've been dealers of Zeagle products for a number of years. If you have no one on Vanuatu who can help you, we will be glad to look at it. Contact Joey at info@Scubatoys.com to get the ball rolling.

Thanks awap. First time in 43+ years of diving I have seen a first stage fail period let alone in this manner. I gave it a good looking over before use and I am convinced it had never seen water before I purchased it.

coup that is exactly what I thought has happened.

John Lewis you're in Dallas Fort Worth? Thats a LONG way from our little South Pacific Island but if I can't find someone in Australia I will certainly box it up and send it your way.

There is no one here that can service regs as far as I know. Certainly not Zeagle...one of the dive shops can probably do Scubapro type that are used in their school.

I'll get a IP gauge and check my other 1st stage - a Zeagle Flathead 6.

In the meantime I will need to get another 1st stage to get the love of my life back in the water.

Is there really any advantage between sealed and unsealed in warm, clear tropical water?

I'm looking at HOG and Zeagle 1st/2nd stages as I want to put together a 3rd set for my daughter/her man to use when she visits.

New 1st and 2nd stages mated to Miflex hoses and a good air integrated dive computer.

Thanks for your input.

Chuck Perry:
I turned off the valve and then slowly turned it back on - the 'cover' at the top end of the 1st stage exited straight up and the 1st stage started to free flow through the now open top.
This is not unheard of, certainly not with the 50D. It is an indication of increased intermediate pressure. What extruded was the clear hydrostatic diaphragm, which is held in place by the environmental cap. I have ~10 50Ds, goods regs all. And, I had one of them do exactly the same thing on a trip to Bonaire back in September. It really gets your attention, when that diaphragm 'pops'. But, it is not a big deal, just noisy. Standard 1st stage overhaul should fix the problem.

Ideally, you would just take the reg to a Zeagle service technician, have the first stage serviced, and it would be 'good as new'. I suspect the problem is increased intermediate pressure, possibly coming from an internal diaphragm that has become brittle and failed. But, if there is no service opportunity where you are, ship the reg somewhere (Dallas, for example) for service. It might be tempting to think 'Well, I can just unscrew the environmental cap that held it in place, reseat the clear plastic diaphragm, and screw the cap back on.' And, you can do that. And, the same thing will happen when you turn the gas back on.

Well sorta bingo

Released May 21, 2003Zeagle Systems, Inc. is recalling 931 first stage Scuba regulators sold between January 20, 2003 and May 19, 2003. If you have one of these regulators it is essential to take it to your dealer for immediate repair. Do not attempt to dive with this regulator again until the regulator has been inspected and by an authorized Zeagle dealer.
The first stage regulators affected are the following models:

• FlatHead Six s/n F001391 to F001476
  • 50D s/n B003315 to B003652
  • DS-IV s/n A001352 to A001571
  • Envoy s/n C001117 to C001403
The serial numbers are stamped on each first stage body. Zeagle regulators that have been serviced since January 20, 2003 may also be affected.
These first stage regulators may have a defective high-pressure seat that could cause the first stage to over pressurize. If this occurs, the air supply to the diver could be interrupted, making it impossible for the diver to breathe from the regulator. This type of failure is most likely to occur upon initial pressurization of the regulator and is unlikely to occur underwater.
If you own one of these regulators, take it to your authorized Zeagle dealer for a free inspection and repair. Call 1-800-771-5568 or contact any authorized Zeagle dealer for information on obtaining a free repair.

My 50D is B003255. Before the serial number range indicated - but the fault is VERY clearly the same.

Interestingly my Flathead 6 is F01111 also just before the range indicated in the recall...and purchased from the same eBayer some months later under the same exact terms. I think I might get it checked too.

Thank you runsongas!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom