Zeagle D50 1st stage failure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no one here that can service regs as far as I know. Certainly not Zeagle...one of the dive shops can probably do Scubapro type that are used in their school.

Why not consider Scubapro, if they can be serviced locally, possibly only need the first stage - MK17 for AU $265.00 DIN or Yoke new Scubapro MK17 First Stage | eBay

You may find this cheaper from other sources.

Good idea for hog regs, bullet proof, economical, user serviceable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 50D is B003255. Before the serial number range indicated - but the fault is VERY clearly the same.
Hmm. This begs a question. The recalled 50D serial numbers were for units manufactured between Jan and May 2003. When you mentioned in your OP that you bought a 'new' 50D on eBay 'a while back', exactly how far 'back' was 'a while'? Presumably, your first stage was manufactured in the second half of 2002. It just failed this week (Wednesday), after your wife put ~5 dives on it since purchase. If you bought a 'new' unit, that was manufactured almost 13 years ago, and had not been used, and presumably not serviced before you bought it, that seems to reinforce the probability that a routine service / overhaul is in order. :) Just a thought.

Yes New Old Stock - it was advertised that way and when it arrived there was no doubt it had never been used. I bought it about a year ago. Then my wife got pregnant and as there was no way she was going to be diving for 10 months I just had it sitting on a shelf here.

Our twin boys were born 21st August so I put the Miflex LP inflator hose and Computer on the first stage, test dove it at the bottom of our back yard, we have a lovely coral reef 50 meter from our back door, washed it and put it away pending her being cleared for diving by the Dr. She has dived it probably 4 times in the 6 weeks she has been back from Australia with the boys.

I emailed Zeagle (Hush Outdoors) and sent them pictures. They just said it probably 13 years old and sent me the contact details of the Australian Distributor to get it serviced. Fair Enough.

I guess they don't make dive gear they way the used to. My last NEW dive gear purchase was 1990. US divers 1st/2nd stage...which I dived with until several years ago and never had the 1st stage serviced once - might have had the 2nd stages serviced back in the mid/late 90s or early 2000s - I don't remember. Beautiful 2nd stages - breathed beautifully at great depths on the wrecks in Rabaul Harbour. You can't even buy service kits for them any more so I decided to retire them and go with Zeagle on the recommendation of a tech diving mate. He also said HOG were very good.

I have no complaints about the Zeagles I have...but I think I might go HOG for the 3rd set I'm going to build up.

Last edited:
I emailed Zeagle (Hush Outdoors) and sent them pictures. They just said it probably 13 years old and sent me the contact details of the Australian Distributor to get it serviced. Fair Enough.
No surprise there.
I guess they don't make dive gear they way the used to.
Not sure that I would go there. Zeagle equipment, specifically their regulators, is incredibly reliable, and durable. What you don't know is the environmental conditions under which that particular 50D had been stored for ~13 years. Obviously, it didn't come directly from Zeagle. So, whatever shop / distributor that had it may not have paid attention to reasonable stortage. I have a Zeagle DS-V that i haven't serviced in 8 years, and it performs very well.. I also use it regularly. As I mentioned, I have ten 50Ds. I service them every 3-4 years. A small challenge with the 50D, or any turret reg for that matter, is the fact that there is one more O ring to replace (under the turret) and therefore one more place to 'fail'. What you describe was not a failure at the turret, this was just an example of the fact that some regs have a greater potential than oithers. You won't find HOG, or Apeks, or ScubaPro any more, or any less, durable. What probably failed was not the HP seat that was the subject of a later recall, rather the 'replaceable components. You take any brand, and let it sit, unused for 13 years , and you may have problems with those components.

Indeed - agree completely.

The upside of all this is I have found, while ordering a new Hog D3, a place that services Zeagle (and most other brands) Regs.

I'm boxing up the 50D/associated 2nd stages and my Flathead 6/associated 2nd stages and sending them to Brisbane on Monday. My daughter will send them to The ScubaDoctor in Victoria and he's going to repair the 50D and fully service the rest. I will be in Melbourne 28th/29th this month doing simulator recurrent training only about a 90 minute drive away so I can pick them up then.

The D3 will go on my wife's set with some new Miflex hoses and the 50D will be the basis of a 3rd standby set, with new Miflex hoses and a couple of good Hog/Zeagle or maybe Apeks 2nd stages. That way I can send 1 set down to the Dr every 12 months or so for a service and we won't be grounded.

And I ordered an IP gauge at the same time as the D3 and pink Miflex primary/yellow Miflex occy hoses. :D

Edited to add. Just found another place in Brisbane that my daughter drives past on her way to/from work every day. I'll ring them on Monday and see if they can do the D50 repair and turn my gear around in the 7 days they claim on their website.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom