Your wisdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The adjustment knob makes the inital tuning a little less critical as the tech can set it up to freeflow slightly with the knob all the way out. The adjustment also lets the diver adjust it for minimum cracking effort or to increase it in situations where that is beneficial. And finally, the adjustment knob can compensate for the formation of a seating groove in the soft seat that would otherwise require a trip to the dive shop for an adjustment.

With a non adjustable reg, you get what you get when it is serviced and initially adjusted and the reg is consequently a bit less flexible in use.

DA Aquamaster:
. . .

In summary, a Mk 16 G250 with a comfo-bite mouthpiece and an LP hose of the proper lenght would be a good choice. Ideally, the Mk 18 would be even better if you can find one. It is a Mk 16 but with a swivel turret that improves hose routing and also makes the second stage LP hose lenght less critical. They are not marketed heavily in the US, I suspect because they would not fit with SP's marketing strategy and would steal sales from both the Mk 16 and Mk 25.

The MK18 has now vanished from the Scubapro UK web site as well - looks like the MK18 is not really being promoted / marketed by Scubapro in Europe any more (but I'm sure they're some to still be found in shops). Some UK shops are advertising a Mk17 - but no pictures yet (see http://www.sdswatersports.co.uk/Index900.htm). Nothing on the Scubapro UK or Scubapro US web site yet on a MK17.

They still show the MK18 in the 'technical posters' section of the Scubapro UK site currently.

http://www.scubapro.co.uk/utilities.asp#util8

Jess,

Why don't you check out

http://www.scubamarket.com/eng/ersb0006.php

for a MK18/D400 combination in Europe? From what DA Aquamaster has posted, this should give you good performance in cold or warmer water. Or maybe your local shop can give you a good deal on something similar. An authorized Scubapro shop in my area is advertising Mk18/G250HP combinations for $250 brand new currently (must buy at the shop).

Hope you find something that works well for you.

I would think that your best bet is likely the S550/MK16. It will perform very well, and it is not a far cry from the Mk25. As mentioned, I think that you wouldnot fare as well with the Mk25 in the UK. The mk16 will also stay cleaner with minimal interior damage. As for the mouthpiece, a comfo bite would suit you well, as well as a Seacure (or a Jax in Europe. I have one and love it).

At an SP repair seminar in December 2003, I was told that SP was developing a new diaphragm first stage - the MK 17 - but I have not heard anything since.

DA Aquamaster:
At an SP repair seminar in December 2003, I was told that SP was developing a new diaphragm first stage - the MK 17 - but I have not heard anything since.

Evidently the Europeans are way ahead of the USA in getting information regarding Scubapro's work on the MK17.

http://www.scubatom.net/teh_kot14.html

I don't read / speak the language, looks like maybe Polish - I'll have some fun at the Babelfish site trying to translate this.

The drawings indicate this would be a true dry sealed diaphragm design using two diaphragms (this is not something I'd seen previously from Scubapro), but also incorporating extended surface area (fins) like more recent production version of the MK25.

Looking at the drawings, the fins would not be all that critical but would serve to severely inhibit any ice that may want to progress along the outside of the reg toward the ambient pressure side. Probably largely cosmetic, but it would prevent any ice from forming any obstruction of the diaphragm over the ambient chamber.

It is also interesting how they route the IP air to the back side of the seat carrier with a small hole in the body rather than (in addition to?) using a hole in the center of the seat.

Otherwise it looks like a pretty generic balanced diaphragm regulator - sort of a conshelf with a diaphragm sealed ambient pressure chamber and a load transmitter.

I noticed the smaller detail drawnings have English wording. It kind of peeves me that SP USA can't send out any information on it - even to their techs and dealers.

Looks like it is probably a typo.

However from the look of the MK 17 drawings, and the general appearance of the reg, I'd say it looks like it is pretty close to being released. In Poland at least. Who knows when the SP will release it in the US, if ever. They could sure use a good totally sealed diaphragm reg to compete with Apex in that market.

Yeah - I was thinking it resembled more like an Aqua Lung Titan with Cold Water Kit, with fins and some of the other stuff you noted added. It is listed as for sale on a number of Scubapro UK dealer web sites (with no picture available - see first link my earliest post in this thread) - so I think the original poster Jess could get one on his side of the pond. Looks competitively priced to the MK16 in the UK. Maybe Scubapro is releasing in Europe first as a more direct head-to-head with Apeks & Aqua Lung in that market, to be followed in North America.

Note the red & blue arrows on the detail picture for the fins - Scubapro is demonstrating increased heat exchange with the surroundings.

I read a bit closer on the top of the page - the detail pics are listed on a web site in Slovenia (Slovenija) - something to be said for ex-Eastern Block ability to gather info! Check out the links at the bottom of the page - click on the one for the X650 - you can't get those drawings from the Scubapro US or Scubapro UK web sites either!

Or how about this one

Odpravljanje tezav na Scubapro regulatorjih

Is this info you have in English, DA? It looks like a list of problems & solutions for a number of Scubapro products.

The MK17 is featured in the UK Scubapro 2005 Catalog that you can download here

From the catalog itself:

"MK17AF Balanced Diaphragm
First Stage Systems
Diaphragm first stages have been in production for many years
and have been adopted as the standard valve design by several
diving equipment manufacturers due to their reasonable
performance characteristics and reliability at an economical
price point.
Since the development of the diaphragm first stages many
years ago, performance characteristics have improved, although
diaphragms have never been able to achieve the extremely high
performance characteristics of an overbalanced flow through
piston design such as our MK25AF. However, the MK17AF
diaphragm first stage by Scubapro is the first of a new
generation of diaphragm first stages that offers exceptionally
high performance in its class (up to 8000 liters/minute flow at
200 bar), close to the unrivalled overbalanced piston design.
The MK17AF will provide the sport diver and extended range
diver alike with extreme performance, exceptional cold water
compatibility and unsurpassed reliability. It benefits from a combined
dry ambient chamber and patented cold dissipation fins to
outperform the stringent CE cold water performance requirements.
Compact and lightweight, the MK17AF is set to redefine the
standards of diaphragm regulator performance and design worldwide."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom