Your thoughts about visiting the Egyptian Red Sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crowley

Master Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I made a similar request last year after the revolution but as we come into high season, I'd like to ask how past, present and potential visitors feel about coming to Egypt for their holidays. Even the non-diving package tourism.

We've taken a massive hit since the dizzy peaks of 2010 before shark attacks and a revolution almost crippled the business here, and my centre just got super busy because we are in German high season right now - and we don't have the staff to cope. In fact, all the major operators in Sharm are stretched to their limits. Foreign staff left in their droves; there's a lot of new and inexperienced staff - mostly Egyptian but also a fair few foreigners trickling in for their IDCs and IEs, and for sure I'm seeing a lot of things underwater that I don't like.

We know that travel agencies hedged their bets last year and didn't push Egyptian resorts as hard as they might have done in the preceding years, and because their aircraft apparently have to be scheduled up to a year in advance, they were scheduled for Greece, or Fuerteventura, or some other sunny winter holiday resort. This meant that seats on planes were at a premium - so instead of a lot of half-empty charter flights and hotels that in turn generate the "last minute late deal", actually, booking late has become increasingly more expensive - because there is no room on the flights any more.

But because I live here, I have a very objective view of what's going on. I understand the general business principles involved in the mass tourism market, but I don't really get a feeling for what people in Europe are thinking. I understand perfectly why people would think twice about coming here, but it's not something I ever have to think about...!

So - I'd like to know your thoughts and opinions. Did you find it's changed for the worse since the revolution? Were you put off visiting because of the uncertainty of the political future of the country, or even that they've elected an Islamic government - and please, please don't start a heated debate about politics and religion - purely tourism and dive holidays! I'd also like to hear from people who have worked in Egypt or are thinking of looking for work here in the future....

Thanks for the input...

Cheers

C.

We have been on 5 liveaboards since the revolution, 2 since the elections, so it is obvious that we are not at all worried about our safety in visiting Egypt!

What is so sad, is that so many people have been put off visiting Egypt as the country is in desperate need of the tourist money. As ever, we have found the people to be warm and hospitable.

Of course all of our trips in the last two years have been to the Southern Red Sea so we are unable to comment on the situation in the Sharm or Dahab area, but we will certainly go to Dahab again in the future. Although the diving in Sharm is better than that available in Dahab, we don't like the way Sharm has changed since it became a holiday destination for the chavs!

If you are reading this and are still worried about going to Egypt, go book a trip NOW! The diving is amazing, the locals will make you feel very welcome, and you will keep Crowley in a job!

Well, we just aren't doing big trips this year at all, and maybe not next year . . . but if we were to have things improve and be able to consider a long trip, I think Egypt would be down the list. Part of it is because we have been there twice already, but part of it is worry about political instability and issues, not so much with personal safety, but with increasing and arbitrary behavior on the part of the authorities.

I have many friends in the Eygptian Navy whom I have known for over 15 years that said I will not return to that country for training or tourism until that former friend and ally again acts as a friend and ally. It is going to get worse and you guys need to take off your rose colored glasses. Laws regarding tourist are right around the corner and woman are not going to be impressed. It is sad.

We visited Egypt in August- and spent the whole week on the liveaboard boat. We loved it. Usually we work with local Egyptian dive guides and I confess I like their professionalism (I talk about really good guides), and this year our Egyptian friends were as nice as last year. In Hurghada we saw there were much less tourists. A walk in the shops of the New Marina was everything but lively. A few people in the bars, everything was too quiet... So we prefered to stay on the boat with my friends.
About the desperately needed tourist income: Greece needs money. Spain needs money. Portugal needs money. So I should visit all of them? Sounds good but there are two problems: my country needs money, and even I need money.:) I don't think too much about this, I go to destinations which I can afford. For liveaboard trips there are no better option than Egypt. It was true 3 or 2 years ago and it's true now as well. I felt safe all the week and I'd go to Egypt anytime in the future- I'll skip a winter trip because I want to dive in Cyprus again this year. But we'll dive the Red Sea there next summer and I recommend to visit the country to everybody who love diving...
But I confess as well we got some bad news from the Sinai. I'd be more careful there than in Hurghada although hopefully Sharm or Dahab is safe as well. Anyway, we wouldn't like to go there for a holiday next year.

I guess my actions speak loudest: I booked a trip to the South for next Easter coming from NYC but...........made sure I have insurance on all parts of the trip, so should things change between now and then, I can take the week and dive the Caribbean instead.

I really enjoyed diving the red sea but I will probably not return till I go to Indonesia (I haven't been there yet). I have considered returning but frankly I'm turned off by what I'm seeing in the American media. From here most the news makes Egypt look pretty sketchy. Perhaps if Dutch would organize another trip where we go directly from Amsterdam directly to Sharm:D I had a good experience last time but I have a dark complection and my guide (a retired army col.) thought I was Egyptian. Even the locals did not bother me with sales pitches. Nonetheless what I am seeeing in the US media does not make Egypt look very attractive.

I've only been to Egypt once, a few years ago. I crossed by land from Israel, spent some time diving in Dahab, then did a desert trek in the Sinai and took a bus to Cairo. I don't think I'd do a similar itinerary today out of security concerns, but I wouldn't hesitate to do a liveaboard. A southern Red Sea liveaboard is on my bucket list. Revolution or not, I don't think I'd be interested in Sharm or Dahab again.

I was hoping to go to Hurghada this winter but have put plans on hold until I see how things continue to shake out. It seems every year I think about going to the Red Sea something happens in that region to make me reconsider. May do a South American dive location instead.

I have been living and working in Kuwait for the past 3 years. I travel about 5 times a year and hit new scuba destinations as much as I can. I still have not been to Egypt yet. I was planning to go last year but the revolutions put me off and I ended up going to Bali. I booked tickets to go to Egypt for my first trip last month before any of the protest began. I'm american so after seeing the embassy stormed and the flag burning I was scared to go. I thought about canceling my tickets but decided to to wait it out, now I will be going next week. After reading about Dahab I decided to dive there, it seems to have the chill backpacker atmosphere that I like.

I'm mostly concerned with traveling to and from Dahab. Can anyone give me any advice as far as safety goes? How safe is travel in southern Sinai?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom