Your Reports & Photos - Week of July 5 through July 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have them on DMX as well so follow the link.

They motored out to the Met fields and it looked like they were on the deeper end of the fields. If I had brought the scooter and a scooter buddy it would have been cool to check them out underwater.... I dunno what would happen if we had a scooter vs sub collision... That thing looked expensive :wink:

That machine is crazy! Says depth rated to 400'-1000' for users - although the hull can go deeper. Pretty 'wow'! Sounds like the dives were pretty good from shore. Robin and I contemplated going in again, but after 2 40-45 minute dives in my wetsuit in water temps of about 48-50 degrees (depending upon whose computer you were looking at), I was pretty frozen. Actually, I think my feet still are. :)

The goal is that by experiencing the oceans first‐hand, the VIPS ‐‐ educators, journalists, politicians,
conservationists, patrons and artists – will make that critical personal connection that is the necessary
first step in promoting education, exploration and preservation of our ocean planet.

I think this is what they were doing... Showing off what divers enjoy to people who wouldn't normally partake in what we ohhh and ahhh about :wink:

My report for the weekend:

This weekend I started GUE-F, it was actually 4 days and I just got home about 3 hours ago. I won't go into a big, long-winded report; however, it was a pretty eye-opening and humbling experience.

First impression (days 2-3): I really SUCK at diving. I went into this knowing pretty much what to expect, but I did not expect that the frog kick I thought I had dialed was wrong, my body position - wrong, my buoyancy - terrible. And this was all in the pool in 8 feet of water where each mistake was magnified.

I learned that in all my ocean dives, with all my practice was allowing me to get away with fundamental mistakes that the unforgiving nature of shallow water, a confined space, and 3 instructors who did not miss a single thing did not.

By day 4 (Sunday) we started making quite a bit of progress as individuals, and as a team. The video review was priceless. I felt like my trim was great, my head was back, and my knees up. The camera does not lie ... My knees were dropping on certain kicks, my head looked down to fumble with a bolt snap or stowing my light cord, and I was bending at the waist when I started to fatigue.

All in all it was a great first class, with the final class next weekend at point lobos.

The instructors Beto, Susan, and Rob were excellent teachers and divers and they really showed us just how high the bar goes.

AND, I actually was able to reach my valves using my big undergarments - something I have not been able to do previously, AND I can -sort of- back kick now. :D

I'm tired and going to bed now.

This weekend I started GUE-F, it was actually 4 days and I just got home about 3 hours ago. I won't go into a big, long-winded report; however, it was a pretty eye-opening and humbling experience.

Awesome! Sounds like you're having quite a time in class. I think my own experience mirrored your own. And nearly everyone who takes the class comes away with the same "I had no idea I sucked so bad" revelation at the end of the first weekend. Of course, this is all relative to the instructors and videographers for your class, all of whom are at least Tech 2 rated, and completely amazing in the water. And it also just underscores the vast improvement you'll see in open water next weekend. The pool really puts your senses into overdrive, and you'll see the fruits of your efforts out at the worm patch next week. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom