Your Reports & Photos - Week of July 5 through July 12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can make more eh? Wow! I tell you what, that was freaking awesome to make a little hot tub in my wetsuit! I was sooo cold as it was really cloudy, so it was great to have the water.

Robin - I wish my lips weren't so big. Otherwise this one would have been sooooo cool. 2009-07-11 Eric?s Pinnacle

hahahahaha... Yes, Mike showed us how to start the generator and get the hot water heater going... Last weekend I put that shower nozzle down my wet suite and my ankle weights and Otter Bay boots had such a tight seal the water collected in my wetsuit and my suit kept expanding and expanding... I moved around like a bowl full of jelly. It was really freaky!

Great idea, Sarah!

On 7/7/2009, I used my remaining vacation day to get a weekday dive in with Don. The whole planning process went something like this:

Me: "Whoa, I don't have to go to work today. Any of you free to dive?"
Don: "I'm free, let's go!!"

An hour later, we were on our way down to Monterey. The bay looked great, and I couldn't tell if the lack of surfers was due to it being a Tuesday or the flat conditions. Monastery beach was totally flat, and as we pulled into Lobos, so was Whaler's Cove. It was one of those days where you could see the hills and sky reflected on the water surface. Sounds like word had gotten out (conditions were great the entire week, apparently) since the parking lot was busier than on some weekends, and by the time we got there, we were team 12 for the day.

Considering the conditions (and the fact that Don had scooters with him), we decided to scoot out of the cove to the 3 Sisters, a site I've never been to before. Surface vis was a bit milky, but when we descending in the sand channel, things cleared up dramatically. Past HITW, we were pushing 40+ft, and could see that there was almost no water movement - particulates, kelp, floaties, all hung in place and looked like they were frozen in time.

Being unfamiliar with the scooters, I relied 100% on Don's navigation, only glancing briefly at the mounted compass as we buzzed along. He got us to the site in short order, and I found us hovering at about 95ft at the top of a beautiful pinnacle, with the sea floor clearly visible 30-40ft below. We stowed the scoots and started kicking circuits, around the first pinnacle, then onto the second, and then the third. There's SO much to see here, and we hit our turn time quickly. After a minute futzing to untangle my tow cord, we were on our way back into the cove.

Somehow, in the 40 minutes between getting into the water and heading back, the shallow viz had opened up quite a bit, and we spent another half hour or so poking around the west side of Middle Reef, an area I should really know a lot better by now. The same sites look dramatically different with calm conditions and great viz! I heard and saw the passing shadow of an inflatable pass directly over us, but we didn't run into any other dive teams. After a good amount of time offgassing, we made our way back to 20ft and ascended just short of the ramp. We packed up slowly, cleaned off the gear, and were back on the road (in reverse traffic the entire way) and in the bay area by 6pm.

It's days like this that make me think hard about maybe working part time :)

You can make more eh? Wow! I tell you what, that was freaking awesome to make a little hot tub in my wetsuit! I was sooo cold as it was really cloudy, so it was great to have the water.

Robin - I wish my lips weren't so big. Otherwise this one would have been sooooo cool. 2009-07-11 Eric?s Pinnacle

that lingcod has a disgusted look on his face. he looks like hes saying "what are you doing in my house?"

Kenn, that sounds awesome. I really have to go dive pt. lobos more. The few times I have been out have not been good.

Not good? How so? Bad viz/conditions? No fish? Annoying divers with black and red tables all over? :) I think everything is a numbers game, statistically Lobos conditions tend to beat the bay, generally.

Great reports and pics everyone! (edited after reading the rest of the thread :))

I ate Caribou when I was in Canada and it was yummy!

Great idea... do we want a standardized format?

Dive 1
Dive Site: Breakwater wall
Date: 11 Jul7 2009
Conditions: Calm
Water Temp:
Visibility: 25-30
Dive Buddys: Rob R, Jason T., Ryan
Comments:

Arrived at the BW under a cloudy sky and chilly conditions... The wall parking was all but taken up at 8 am with a lot of boat trailers in the double spots. The upper lot on the grass was wide open though. The plan was to dive with newer divers Jason and Ryan... Myself and buddy Rob were just looking for any excuse to get in the water so the plan was to do the wall and then the Met fields.

We did our briefs and went over some of the gear differences then a head to toe gear match and we were off... I've been getting lazy with the scooter and a good long kick wasn't bad exercise.

we descended at the corner and me and Rob did a quick S-drill (Air share) to help keep the skills fresh... then off along the wall. The usual suspects were there... some of the notables were a ok sized Ling Cod on the rocks and a harbor seal that was hanging behind my head that everyone but me saw.

During the SI we had some lunch at the Deli and checkout the Deep Flight Super Falcon 2 man submersible. It was a pretty impressive looking vehicle. Reminded me of a F-1 racer or a jet fighter.

Mr Hawkes himself was piloting... Way cool

There was a poor baby sea lion that was holding the boatramp hostage though but the Marine Mammal Rescue guys got there pretty quick and took the little fella out for some lunch as well :)

Dive 2
Dive Site: Metridium Fields
Conditions: Calm
Water Temp: 52
Visibility: 30
Dive Buddys: Ryan, Jason, Rob
Comments: We showed Jason and Ryan the line ups... Jason did a fantastic job of dropping us right on the pipe. we kicked to the end and in no time we could see the Metridiums beckoning us to come visit them. There was a lot of light down there and surprisingly good vis for this site. You could clearly see the other patches of Metridiums scattered around. We rounded out our dive with some drills for everyone around and a weight check... (oh and it takes a while to dump 500 psi in double 100's so start early)

:)

Edit: Had to remove pictures since stupid SB doesn't automatically resize photos...

Look here for the full report with pictures: http://www.divematrix.com/showthread.php?t=7386

Last edited:
Wow, crazy day at the Breakwater, Ben! I've never seen the Deep Flight subs in person. Did you happen to see them in/under the water?

But man, 2500x1875 pictures? Any chance of ensmallenating them a bit? :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom