Your opinion on my plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DCDivenut

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I am about to pull the trigger on the Kona Aggressor May 9 -16 and I have a few questions, not about the Aggressor, but afterwards.

My thoughts were as follows

Pick up a rental car on Sat at 10AM and drive over to Hilo via Saddle Road. I figure if I stop for lunch that gives me around 24 hours out of the water before I hit altitude.
Go see the lava at night.
Stay somewhere on that side.
Do an early helicopter tour of the volcanoes
Drive back via the upper road and catch the 5PM flight.

Here are my questions...
I understand that all lava viewing is at the whim of Mother Nature, but am I correct that at this point the best viewing is the county viewing area off of 130? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Should I try to drive up to the crater and get there mid-afternoon? Is it worth it? I hate guided tours so I will be doing this with a copy of the ultimate guidebook and a bottle or 4 of water.

Should I stay in Hilo or Volcano? I am traveling solo so I am not too concerned about fancy resorts, more about convenience as far as getting there after looking at lava at night and then getting to the airport in the AM for the heli tour. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tropical with doors off (I am leaning this way) or Blue Hawaiian for the helicopter tour? I have heard good things about both companies.

Where is the best saimin on the island? After getting into Hamura's in Kauai a few years ago this is KEY!!

Overall does my plan sounds reasonable? I know I am pushing it by doing the heli on the last day since if weather bites I am totally grounded but I have NO choice from a logistics point of view.

When's your last dive? Saddle road peaks at about 7000 feet, basically the same or close to the altitude pressure as an airline flight is pressurized at, you should consider it a flight. Your best bet to get to Hilo area is the northern route through Waimea and Hamakua which hits roughly 3000 feet, maybe a bit more, but the park entrance at Volcano is at about 4000 feet.

You'll need to find out where the best viewing is when you get here. 2 months is a long time, it can change in days.

I saw the lava in the mid afternoon and only saw a bunch of smoke. As soon as the sun went down, the entire hillside lit up like one enormous fire. I would wait until after dark to see it and find something else to occupy my daylight hours.

When's your last dive? Saddle road peaks at about 7000 feet, basically the same or close to the altitude pressure as an airline flight is pressurized at, you should consider it a flight. Your best bet to get to Hilo area is the northern route through Waimea and Hamakua which hits roughly 3000 feet, maybe a bit more, but the park entrance at Volcano is at about 4000 feet.

You'll need to find out where the best viewing is when you get here. 2 months is a long time, it can change in days.

Last dive is out of water at around 11AM to noon on Friday. I am planning on hitting Saddle in the afternoon on Saturday, giving me about 24 hours, which would be about when I would be on a plane anyways. I will also be diving Nitrox so that should help a little.

I certainly appreciate the fact that this planning could all be for naught at the whim of Pele. I certainly don't like my nature of the appointment variety, but I do like to build a solid shell of plan since that makes changing it that much easier if I have to!

I also want to make sure that I am not trying to cram in too much. Thanks for the feedback and quick response.

BY the way.. love your blog... read your post on driving... I was looking at Google Earth to get altitudes (highest point through Waimea is 2913 BTW), 17 NOAA charts for altitude after diving, trying to convert them into PADI, do planning on a table etc... and finally I just said that it was not worth if I wanted to do the Friday dives...

DCDivenut,

If you end up not going to see lava from the Hilo side (which I've yet to do) I would say it's easier to head to Volcano down the west side of the island from Kona. Unless you want the full-on saddle road experience of course. And if you decide to be conservative in your altitude and take the route all the way around the north side of the island past Waimea (where I live) bring a fleece and long pants if you plan on getting out of the car. It's cold here and rainy on the wet side of town. Either over saddle or through Waimea cattle country, it's super pretty and you won't be disapointed by the drive. There's a craplaod of snow right now up on mauna kea too.

If you happen to cruise thru my neck of the woods I suggest stopping at Tako Taco for mex food and micro brews (they may even have their own beer brewing up and running by the time you get here).

Good luck, have fun, and be sure to post your photos.

-Eric

DCDivenut,

If you end up not going to see lava from the Hilo side (which I've yet to do) I would say it's easier to head to Volcano down the west side of the island from Kona. Unless you want the full-on saddle road experience of course. And if you decide to be conservative in your altitude and take the route all the way around the north side of the island past Waimea (where I live) bring a fleece and long pants if you plan on getting out of the car. It's cold here and rainy on the wet side of town. Either over saddle or through Waimea cattle country, it's super pretty and you won't be disapointed by the drive. There's a craplaod of snow right now up on mauna kea too.

If you happen to cruise thru my neck of the woods I suggest stopping at Tako Taco for mex food and micro brews (they may even have their own beer brewing up and running by the time you get here).

Good luck, have fun, and be sure to post your photos.

-Eric

I am feeling pretty good about Saddle Road from Kona to the east side. I will be giving myself a full 24 hours, and if I wasn't going on Saddle Road I would be getting on a plane, which is equiv to 1000 feet higher. I will also make sure to stay really hydrated and avoid booze Fri night. I may even rent a 4x4 from Harpers just to be on the safe side although I have no intention of going on road that really needs it. This way I can go straight to VNP and get the most out of the day there.

I will have about 5.5 hours to get from Hilo to KOA so I am sure I will miss a few things, but I have done "Hawaiian coastline" on Kauai and I can always leave something for the next trip. I was going to try to do the route by the Botanical Gardens, Waipo Valley Lookout and Old Mamahola Highway, stopping in Waimea for lunch. I will be sure to bring long pants/fleece...

I was going to try to do the route by the Botanical Gardens, Waipo Valley Lookout and Old Mamahola Highway, stopping in Waimea for lunch.
Too much for one day, you can spend 4 hours or more just at the Botanical Gardens, especially if you are a photographer...............

While Tako Taco is still my suggestion for lunch here... I asked a local Waimea guy today where you can find best saimin in town.

His first suggestion is the chinese place in the Parker Ranch food court. I think it might be Don's Chinese Kitchen... I think. Just go too the food court right before Starbucks in the Parker Ranch Center you can't miss it. I've had their wonton noodle soup and it's huge.. and tasty. Don't bother trying to use maps on the googles to find anything up here. And don't bother searching a map of Waimea... try Kamuela.

Second place is my favorite place for musubis (which I had today in fact) is called LL's Somethingorother. It is a few doors east of Foodland before Blockbuster. Tasty!

Good luck,

-Eric

Back
Top Bottom