Your max depth!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[FONT=&quot]A curiosity question for the non-tech deep diving enthusiast, how many cubic feet of gas do you need to safely ascend from 130 and the logic behind your number?[/FONT]

Funny how most leave out the SS and the buddy gas
Key word is Safely.

I agree completely TZ

Whoa! That Twilight Zone website was pretty cool! I am quite happy at the coral reef zone. However, I would nearly **** my pants if I had the opportunity to go to the bottom in a submersible in the 'aphotic zone'!
Take care!
~Aubrey

[FONT=&quot]A curiosity question for the non-tech deep diving enthusiast, how many cubic feet of gas do you need to safely ascend from 130 and the logic behind your number?[/FONT]

When I was 25yo one breath, now, well, OK, two breaths.

N

Roughly 6cu ft to accend @ 30'/min from 132' with a .4 SAC rate

The number is based on your surface gas consumption rate and taken to depth. There are of course many variables, you could accend faster or have an issue an be slower, and of course be freaked out breathe heavyier and never make it. But for a no deco everything is cool dive it should be pretty close

[FONT=&quot]This is my estimate at the gas required for a safe ascent from 130 feet:[/FONT]

Sh#t happens, Murphy guarantees this, and your buddy is out of air. You .45 SAC just became 1.0 because of the pucker power factor. You are now breathing two people on one tank so you have a SAC rate of 2.0

1 minute to get you sh#t back together @130 feet – 9.9 CuFt
Ascent from a 130 @ 30 ft/min – 25.7 CuFt
1 minute 65 foot deep stop – 5.9 CuFt
1 minute 35 foot deep stop – 4.1 CuFt
3 minute safety stop – 8.7 CuFt

That’s 54.3 CuFt or 2105 psi on an AL80 and that with 0 psi in the tank.

[FONT=&quot]Dive deep but dive safe![/FONT]

Deep Really Deep greater than 400ft on air at 1 atm.... Ok I cheated.

Longest bottom time was 90,000 minutes (63 days).

I have not viewed any answers on here that would help you. Throw all the numbers out there you want but the only answer is this. It will vary with each diver because every diver has a different sac rate. You need to know your sac rate before you can answer that question.

137' on the U.S.S ORISKANY fligh deck,I was able to see the bottom of my dive boat when I looked up with the island in the foreground UNFORGETABLE!
Dive plan: ean 28 max time @ depth 7 min.
start accent after 5 min. for saftey margin
stay out of deco
plan our dive and dive your plan

All the way to the bottom on many occasions.
Sometimes nowhere near that.

IMO The REAL challenge is to see
who can do the longest dive at over PO 2.0 .

Now thats a contest worthy of having.

I'll even volunteer to stay on the surface to keep the stats.

(Mostly because I don't feel the need
to get my chest puffed all out there) LMAO

I remember my first deep dive. Viz was absolutely crap, propably about 8 feet, we hit a sand bottom iso a wreck and my buddy decided to put on a all time personal best on decent rate. I lost him within the first 10 seconds...

Then we hit a thermocline on 16 meters (52 feet) in which the tempature dropped about 5 degrees celsius (62 F to 53 F). I was out of my mind, panicking when we hit bottom 114 feet. I was sucking air like never before. The instructor took one look at me and we went up. I had to buddy breath at the safety stop cause all my air was gone.

That was then.. Now im totally fine on deep dives, but personally i wont go deeper than 130 feet. Ive got no desire to start technical diving. Theres enough to see higher up.

Our diveshop with whom i dive is really professional, on deep dives the group stays together and you always feel safe eg someone will be there to assist if anything goes wrong. I wouldnt just do a deep dive with someone that ive never dived with before. Also, having your own gear and a decent dive computer does a lot to settle the nerves and can have a big impact on how deep one is willing to go.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom