Your Gradient Factors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With no deeper stops? Considering RGBM's penchant for deep stops? Interesting...
Try it see what happens. The Suuntos I have owned only put in fake Pyle style deep stops which happen based on depth not time. The ‘Fused RGBM” ones I have less knowledge of.

I have about 85 light deco dives on Oceanic computers running DSAT. Deco is usually 10 min or less but as long as 14 min. I've never had a stop deeper than 10 ft. About 30 of these were run with a Buhlmann computer in parallel run at 80/95. No stop deeper than 10 feet here either.

I have about 85 light deco dives on Oceanic computers running DSAT. Deco is usually 10 min or less but as long as 14 min. I've never had a stop deeper than 10 ft. About 30 of these were run with a Buhlmann computer in parallel run at 80/95. No stop deeper than 10 feet here either.

Yeah, I guess it's a function of number and spacing of half-times: more TCs will result in finer granularity of deco stops. DSAT has noticeably bigger "gaps" than ZH-L16 in the 10..40-minute range so if that's your leading TCs, it's probably how it works out. And who knows what zoop has: my leo apparently has 9 going from 2.5 to 480 minutes (cf. DSAT's 14 for 5..480) but I don't know if RGBM TCs are fixed or you can pick your own like ZH-L16.

Still, if you have a 1-minute stop at 9' before a 14-minute stop at 6', it's less weird than one 25-minute stop at 6'.

Yeah, I guess it's a function of number and spacing of half-times: more TCs will result in finer granularity of deco stops. DSAT has noticeably bigger "gaps" than ZH-L16 in the 10..40-minute range so if that's your leading TCs, it's probably how it works out. And who knows what zoop has: my leo apparently has 9 going from 2.5 to 480 minutes (cf. DSAT's 14 for 5..480) but I don't know if RGBM TCs are fixed or you can pick your own like ZH-L16.

Still, if you have a 1-minute stop at 9' before a 14-minute stop at 6', it's less weird than one 25-minute stop at 6'.
Suunto will tell you what they have in terms of half times and number of compartments, but you may be forgetting that the faster compartments have higher over pressure limits so are not always limiting shallower than the slower ones. I did a load of short deco dives in the 30 to 45m range with maybe 20 minutes of stops recently and only a couple got a brief stop at 9, mostly the first actual stop was at 6. These were 50/85GF and according to MultiDeco I ought to have had stops at 12 and 9 but of course my ascent is never as fast and the computers have a different idea of where GF lo applies.

I, too, find this suspicious. A 25 minute stop at 5mm is a serious decompression obligation, and it should have been preceded by an earlier stop. On the other hand, something like that could happen with a Suunto, although not on a dive such as you describe. I'm guessing your buddy with the 25 minutes at 5 meters did not have that sort of dive.

Well it happened. I believe she went into deco on her Suunto and missed a deco stop. For whatever reason her Suunto had her do 25 mins at 5m. I'm not one for telling porky pies just stating what happened. It was the second dive of the day and she had done multiple dives each day over the last 5 days prior to that day. It was a very boring 25 minutes that went so slowly.

This dive log I posted is not her dive with me it's just one I use showing my GF factor where I get longer times to NDL on Shearwater than Sunnto over many days of diving.. Sorry for confusion with that. My error.

Hey dude we had a lengthy discussion about this on Facebook, small world lol
Do you ever get the halo, glare or other side effects they warn about?

Halo glare gets less as time goes by. Bit annoying when you get very bright lights that some traffic lights and car lights have. Yeah not too many on the forums who did their tri focals in Sydney when some chap was asking how to fix his bad eyesight when he cannot even see his Perdix display underwater lol. Overall very happy with the eye surgery a huge lifestyle change. Old age aint for sissies.

Suunto will tell you what they have in terms of half times and number of compartments, but you may be forgetting that the faster compartments have higher over pressure limits so are not always limiting shallower than the slower ones.

They are, but they also off-gas the fastest, so if you stick to safe ascent rate and a TC is fast enough, it's possible for it to never kick in at all (in theory anyway). Middle compartments are getting the blame for DCS hits for a reason: the fast ones "cancel out" unless you blow the ascent rate, and slow ones never kick in on no-stop/"light deco" dives.

They are, but they also off-gas the fastest, so if you stick to safe ascent rate and a TC is fast enough, it's possible for it to never kick in at all (in theory anyway). Middle compartments are getting the blame for DCS hits for a reason: the fast ones "cancel out" unless you blow the ascent rate, and slow ones never kick in on no-stop/"light deco" dives.

So is there evidence available that the tissues those compartments are analogous to get bent more often? That would seem helpful for divers to plan thier deco.

So is there evidence available that the tissues those compartments are analogous to get bent more often? That would seem helpful for divers to plan thier deco.

I've seen it in some DAN EU study that I'm pretty sure did not include deco dives and I should've highlighted and stressed no-stop up there. Although ZH-L16 was "adjusted" from A to B to C also in the middle compartments, and that was after the trials. Or at least A to B was I believe.

Note that this is only how numbers work out. How much faith an actual diver should put in them for actual deco is another story.

Nobody knows what actual tissues in the body have a medium 30min half-life or what is a long 90min half-life or what corresponds to what. They are theoretical compartments with made up numbers across a likely range, not actual tissues. And even within a 'single' tissue like bone, or the CNS, parts of it probably act differently than other parts. For instance, there is lots of postulating that the CNS or spine is "fast" but the actual spinal cord is surrounded by fat cells and when people experience a type I hit nobody really knows where the impacting bubble(s) actually are in real time. There are some symptoms which can be clearly related to a specific tissue, like the optic nerve. But knowing the actual half life of the optic nerve, nobody knows. And many symptoms can't be related to such a specific tissue at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom