Your Gradient Factors?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For decompression dives, you are absolutely supposed to carry some sort of redundancy. If you are only going to use one computer, then your dive should have been preplanned, with at least 3 possible ascent scenarios written out. You would also need to have methods to measure depth and time as well.

Yep, got the redunancy part. I was just sharing, perhaps too vaguely, that to safeguard oneself against ANY computer failure (whether water intrusion, dead battery or lock out) that a slate with main dive plan and three contingencies and a bottom timer is a still a bombproof solution. I sometimes sense here in SB an undertone of disdain for carrying a slate. In fact, an instructor I know scoffs at it, says that it's an outdated legacy technique, plans only for TTS and doesn't carry a back up. I can't make this stuff up.

Yep, got the redunancy part. I was just sharing, perhaps too vaguely, that to safeguard oneself against ANY computer failure (whether water intrusion, dead battery or lock out) that a slate with main dive plan and three contingencies and a bottom timer is a still a bombproof solution. I sometimes sense here in SB an undertone of disdain for carrying a slate. In fact, an instructor I know scoffs at it, says that it's an outdated legacy technique, plans only for TTS and doesn't carry a back up. I can't make this stuff up.
Would you use one if you had a second computer?

Nah...not untiI I have more experience and can intuitively anticipate my obligations. I'm getting there on normoxic dives but not yet where I think I should be to dispense with the informative planning process of cutting my tables. I think strapping on a second Shearwater right now would undermine my development objectives.

I'm getting there on normoxic dives but not yet where I think I should be to dispense with the informative planning process of cutting my tables.
Why would you dispense with that planning process? You still need to plan the dive to be sure you have all the gas resources you need, and with two computers you would plan it the way you did with one. The only thing you wouldn't need to do is plan the contingencies and write them down on a slate. If you are not planning a multilevel dive, you can do it right on the Shearwater.

40/80
Usually pad a little just getting everyone else clear or waiting for another sport on the line to open up. I'm in the 70s or less when I exit the water.

But the SHTF and need to roll the dice, check the surface GF and try to keep that under 100. Never done it, don't want to do it, but if something really bad happened that is the plan. That is right up there with ditching gear type of plan. No more diving for the rest of the trip (not just the day) kind of plan.

Nah...not untiI I have more experience and can intuitively anticipate my obligations. I'm getting there on normoxic dives but not yet where I think I should be to dispense with the informative planning process of cutting my tables. I think strapping on a second Shearwater right now would undermine my development objectives.

I wouldn't ever dispense with planning, just maybe the process of writing out my four schedules on a slate.

But I have a long ways to go before not using a slate becomes an option for consideration.

To get back on topic - 50/80 for me.

Compared to the time it takes to blend the mixes after a dive planning, printing the plan is really fast. Laminate it and stick it on the deco tank(s).

45/75 for me

Compared to the time it takes to blend the mixes after a dive planning, printing the plan is really fast. Laminate it and stick it on the deco tank(s).
I am pretty sure that in all my planning for technical dives in well over a decade, I have never been near a printer when the plans were made, let alone a laminator.

45/75 for me

I’ve heard from a little birdy you’re a pretty sophisticated guy but that proves it.

In sharp contrast, I am not.

If there were a printer around, I’d probably use it to block my deco tins from rolling around or something similarly low-brow.

I am pretty sure that in all my planning for technical dives in well over a decade, I have never been near a printer when the plans were made, let alone a laminator.
In contrast, in my 17 years of deco diving (since taking AN/DP), I think a printer has almost always been available during my dive planning. But rarely a laminator. Clear packing tape over a printout on a slate, Yes.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom