Your Goals in Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To enjoy diving safely with my wife and others for many many years and to someday be appreciated by a few divers as a mentor.

Pete

I´ve had my "learners permit" for wreck and trimix for a while now, looking to get one for caves later this year.

My long term goal is to have dives at that level be "routine", learn to take good photos so I can hook other people to this addiction and my dream would be to become so good that people pay me to do it...

Since I have only been diving for almost a year my short term goal is to dive as much as possible, take my time at each experience level and really learn to be a safe and proficient diver.

Long term goals are to use scuba to travel as much as possible, and hopefully to get into advance wreck diving, including penetration and maybe some caves. :)

To have an experience that I can continue to share with my kids as they become adults.

Train my students to be competent attentive divers.
Offer monthly dives for our certified students to keep them active
Increase our university scuba program participation and staffing
Ber :lilbunny:

I don't have anything that I would consider a goal anymore.

I've been an instructor, owned a dive shop and dived caves and wrecks constantly going further, deeper and longer. All the goals just got to be work. I was spending lots of money and time doing dives that I wasn't really enjoying all that much...more expense and work but the diving didn't increase in enjoyment proportionately. We got involved in some minor survey projects that were ok but, though I love to sight see in caves, I really don't care where they go. I like seeing a good wreck once in a while but I'll never be a diehard "wreck diver" or "wreck hunter".

I stopped diving for a while, in part, because there wasn't anything left that I really wanted to do. I got bored and burned out. I've since gone back to diving just to be in the water and hang out with other people who like to be in the water. Last week we dived a local quarry which has lousy vis this time of year and it was one of the best dives I've had in years. I didn't spen $300 on gas, 2 evenings mixing, another going over gear, I only carried one tank down to the water and no long decompression with my fingers crossed that I wouldn't end up in a weel chair. Really that shouldn't have been a surprise, because some of my favorite cave dives were cavern dives that I did with my wife and son after my wife and I had finished doing the "real dive". I guess I've gone back to enjoying the weenie dives. LOL

There are still a few things that I'd like to do. I haven't done a lot of ocean diving and I'd like to do more of that. Maybe the Gulf or someplace else I can drive to. I don't really like to travel but if I go in my own truck it feels less like traveling.

I have family in Arkansas near Lake Norefork who dive and UW hunting is big down there. They let you shoot game fish (not just carp like around here). I did a little years ago and I think I'd like to do more of it. My wife hasn't ever had the chance to go cat hunting so it should be fun and I'll get a good meal after the dive.

DeputyDan:
To have an experience that I can continue to share with my kids as they become adults.

I have several goals. But, the first one, I am with Dan, on this. My family approached diving as a growth activity we could do together. Two daughters, mom and me. The girls and I got certified together and we have made several trips as a family. For now mom is the captain while we are in the water, so we know someone is manning the boat or counting our heads (on commercial trips). She has gotten hooked on snorkeling and the girls have her trying the regulator in 3 ft. water. So, maybe we'll be two teams soon.

My other goal is to dive East Coast wrecks. I am a little long in the tooth, but still approaching it at a reasonable pace. OW one year, dives, AOW next year, even more dives, Rescue and Cavern the next year, this year beginning the mixed gas study, got a dry suit and BP/W. Hopefully I will be ready to think about Intro this fall. If I am not comfortable with my new gear yet, I wait. Hope to extend the gas training.

I am in an area with more caves than wrecks, so, the basic skills I am hoping for will be learned there. Branching out to the Great Lakes is also on my agenda. My older daughter went as far as Cavern with me and said that was good for her for now. The two of us did a trip to the Keys and dove the Grove, Duane, and Eagle. This just heightened my desire keep training.

But, I still like gathering mussels and crayfish at 25' with the younger one, who will go deeper in Cozumel, but otherwise has no interest in going where it is cold and dark.

short term:
hit 100 dives.
explore localish (doable on a weekend trip) dive spots
get my diving expenses down enough to go at least once a month

long term:
full time dive instructor in the tropics
diving with my kids and wife all the time (my four year old runs around saying "scuba diving, scuba diving!" every time he sees a fish, the ocean, a boat, etc. on TV.)

Back
Top Bottom