Your Gear, Your Dive, Your Responsibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter:
I don't see this as so much of a male/female issue (although, I do see that as well from time to time), but usually of someone who has little confidence in their own diving abilities, usually as a result of an OW class with no real skills learned.

As some of you have read in my early SB posts, I truly didn't learn much in my OW class. The first time I dove outside of class was with my husband, Brian, and he had to set up my gear because I had no clue (whole separate story in itself). It would have been easy at that point, a beginner - not to mention a female beginner - to allow people to do things for me and to get sucked into the whole victim role. But that is not acceptable to me. So I went back to class, next I found ScubaBoard with it's wealth of knowledge and also found good dive buddies who would give me constructive criticism on how to excel as a new diver. I now trust my abilities as a diver and constantly strive to improve. And when it comes to actually setting up my gear...forget it - no touchy for you! :no If I make a mistake, then it is my fault and I will learn from it. I don't want to question what someone else may or may not have done for me.

I will admit that Brian has a tendency to take over when it comes to packing the gear and loading/unloading the tanks. But I am the one who arranges the sitter, finds and organizes the dives, etc. so I don't feel bad about allowing this. I am 5'4" (on a good posture day) and hate carrying AL80s :baby: So I am more than happy to have someone else carry my tanks if they offer. When I am diving without him, it is all on me and I am more than capable. It may take me more trips to unload my tanks than someone else of a larger build, but I can do it on my own. Strangely enough, I am one of the first people to line up to unload tanks off of the boat.

On the dives themselves, Brian is usually the lead. Not so much because his nav skills are so much better than mine, but because he is a more aggressive, inquisitive diver than I am. So our natural pattern is he is the lead and I am usually at 4 o'clock next to him. On dives without him, it depends on the dive and who is my buddy.

catherine96821:
I am guilty of adding air to people's BC's. ...

I've never done that unless someone didn't understand the "add some air" demonstration. I don't think I've ever had it done to me and would have a problem if someone started fiddling with my gear.

To the OP: All the women I've gone diving with are rather independent and don't need their gear setup / carried etc. If they did I don't think I'd want to go with them :)

Well, after posting my "strong, independent diver" opinion, I needed TWO people's help to get over the logs on the slope coming out of Cove 2 last night . . . :(

Somewhere, I've got to find the motivation to get to the gym, or give up the doubles!

TSandM:
Well, after posting my "strong, independent diver" opinion, I needed TWO people's help to get over the logs on the slope coming out of Cove 2 last night . . . :(

Somewhere, I've got to find the motivation to get to the gym, or give up the doubles!

I'm not sure what the doubles are for when diving in Cove 2? Added safety of an entire other tank? Practice? What is the purpose?

I've only done that site (many, many times!) on a single tank & I have lots of air left at the end. Also, I suspect you don't even use very much air.

TSandM:

Just put the doubles on empty with a heavy sweat shirt on and wear them around the neighborhood or something. :wink:

Going to the gym is kind of a pain. Driving, parking...

You should check out somebody's treadmill, put it on a steep grade and walk while you watch the news. It sounds easy, but it is harder than running and will make your thighs strong which might give the power to haul those doubles. A very convenient way to get your heart rate up every day, too. Somebody mentioned to me that you are tiny, so it might not be realistic to hike steel doubles around....I'd hate to see you get hurt, or fall and not be able to get up. I can barely get around in one steel 120, and I am 5'9".

I guess I think one's back is too easily messed up. I had a back injury long ago and it was a long road back....think of how much you are compressing those discs!

Doubles are prep for cave. I agree that there's no justification for diving them for me in Cove 2, at least for the dives I'm willing to do there, because I usually end a dive with my 95s with over 1000 psi left. This is all cave practice . . . The guy who led the wreck workshop I did was GUE Cave 2, and I asked him what he would suggest for practice before going down to Mexico, and he said two things: Work on the line skills he showed us, and dive my doubles all the time. So I'm trying.

I've been threatening to wear them around the house -- But I need to work the legs, not wear out the shoulders. A treadmill on steep would be much better, but that means going to the gym. Or I could just get motivated and take the dog for a walk up the local hill . . .

I just wish I could get my wife into diving. I would help her all she needs and be happy to do it. I would not want to go to the point of making her a weak/unskilled diver. I think it is important to set up your own gear. But I would not mind carrying gear for her. Oh well, just wishful thinking. She is not the least bit interested in diving. Except when I spend money on diving. Just my .02

I really dont think its a male female thing. In every situation there is always one that is more dominate in any relationship. When I have a class the first thing I do is seperate husbands and wives, and parents and children, just in case that tendency is there. Bottom Line Everyone needs to be self sufficient.

TSandM:
I've been threatening to wear them around the house -- But I need to work the legs, not wear out the shoulders. A treadmill on steep would be much better, but that means going to the gym. Or I could just get motivated and take the dog for a walk up the local hill . . .

Lynne,

What about putting together a simple home workout? With free weights you could work on the following:

Core strength. Probably a good idea considering the risk of back injury from doubles. A swiss ball, some medicine balls/dumbells and a routine of situps and other floor exercises would do well there. I've worked this into my weight lifting routine recently because I too am spending lots of time practicing in doubles and don't want to tweak my back.

Leg strength: Squats come to mind (holding dumbells) but there are probably others. I bet you could easily structure a 10-20 minute "fall out of bed" workout that would improve your strength.

Cardio: Let's face it, you aren't a fat slob, and we like you for that. Something, be it a brisk walk with the pooch, or treadmill work, anything will get you there on that.

For the record, the exit at Cove 2 on Tuesday night was a difficult one, it just plain made sense for all of us to help each other get out of the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom