Your Gear, Your Dive, Your Responsibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
I don't mind carrying tanks for my girlfriend but that's about where I draw the line. She will carry Al80s but full LP95s are a bit heavy for her. We need to get her into strength training...
She sets up all her own gear and we both do a fast visual check over each other before we hop in. :)

Now that I'm signed in as me...

I went through all of my training without someone to carry my things. It took me two weeks to build up enough arm strength to get out of the pool (without the ladder of course) with all my gear on. Now, as Charles said, the only thing I can't easily carry are the LP95s. He'll lift them out of the trunk for me, and I'll take it from there. It usually takes me a lot longer to carry my gear, because I take 1 tank at a time, but I'd rather do that, than have him do it for me.

I believe in self suffiency. I am 4'11 5/8. I carry my own gear, but I do have to carry it on my back. I like to do it all myself. But, I have no objections to help if I am struggling with something. Just my .02

Well i've been reading this story and tonight i'm gone try to inflate my wife's BC and try to do her trimmng:huh: But i'm afraid she's gone kill me:D
If I don't report back tomorrow i'm a goner.

He who is about to kick the bucket saluds you.:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Ok i'm sorry i'm back:D and that's only because i'm a little bigger,stronger and most of all faster then my wife.:rofl3:
I can now positively tell you all,women diver do NOT need men to do there thing under water.:rofl3:

Take my advice let them do it by them selfs or they will try to get you,as did my wife try to do:rofl3: thanks to the Lord (or my splitfins)I'm just a little faster.

Thanks Oceanic V12:rofl3:

oh...I thought of this thread yesterday. I couldn't set my Stinger for EAN. I sure do miss him packing all the dive gear and me just stumbling to the car with my coffee.

Man, handling those tanks, computers, GPS, driving and cleaning the boat....I want him back. Men are great. So, all you guys out there that do all that? Some of us love it.

I'm a woman Who works in a dive shop and instructs and I'll tell you something... I'm sick of couples coming in and She doesn't really want to do it and he'll do everything for her.... I'm sick of it because generally He Doesn't listen to the skillsetc and then tries to tell her what to do.... If she doesn't want to do the course then she should Ante up and tell him... I'm beginning to get cranky with the woman who just stand around and let the the men and instructors carry and lift everything... My theory is that If I have to do it then. I dont care if they don't like lifting It's part of it..... Oh and don't get me started on The peeing in the suit thing... Is it only me or do the men take great delight in telling everyone about it????
Oh and Diving is not a fashion show so don't arrive with makeup on and pretty earrings etc cause I'll makle you take them out... lol
I'm not mean I just don't like the Idea of having students rip ears etc open...

Its not just women though. I always know when im in for a bad ride when the husband comes in and says "my partner dives, so i think i will learn as well". My reply is always thats no a good enough reason.

PS If i try and set up my wifes kit and control her bouyancy for her she may well get her dive knife out and try and turn us into a same sex partnership!

Is it only me or do the men take great delight in telling everyone about it????

basically...that's the way men are.

hmm..Jb learned to dive just because I do it. I am cycling just because he does. (but..we both like diving and cycling, although I would have never even considered it. Life is full of surprises.) I CAN carry my tank, but I love him doing it. I love picking up his towel.

I think you should be ABLE to do the tasks, but if one person wants to do it for the other...it's their business. I did learn how to set the EAN percentage, again, but I will forget. Men seem to remember sequences on computers and vcr's better than I do.

Women should not tell other women what to wear, IMO. We need to stick together a little.

My dad MADE us all dive, we were not given a choice. It was "okay kids, you're getting certified, we are going to the Cayman's) I rolled my eyes and was very annoyed.

I really don't like anyone doing anything for me, and in some ways that's not a good way to go either. __________________

I initially took a strict approach with my student couples - everyone had to do it for themselves - carry their own gear - I split up the couples until a time close to open water weekend. Eventually however, I drew a simpler line. If one diver wanted to carry and do things for the other, that was all right, but if it interfered with their ability to learn it made them dangerous. One person telling the other what to do, criticizing them or belittling them in any way, was way over the line as well, and wasn't allowed.

Strictly by percentages, I recall a greater number of men became panic, washed out of scuba classes, and did bone-headed and sometimes dangerous things under the water, than women. When it came to learning to dive, women seemed to know where to draw limits, instinctively staying safer - they knew not to go into something blindly - calculated the angles more critically. One other thing I found in classes, was that women were much less competitive. They learned to dive more because they wanted to, and didn't need to stay down "deeper - longer" to prove anything to anyone.

No doubt, it's more often the case with couples were a woman is learning to dive because her mate wanted her to do so. I would worry about it more however, if the opposite were true.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom