Your First Car....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

71 VW Beetle, blew the engine (funny how they need oil) in about 6 months. Installed a built Porshe engine with dual carbs and dual tuned headers. Fastest bug around. I had a Bose directional 200w speaker system in it which would rock. The only down side to the thing was that the floor boards were rotted out and you would get very wet whenever ya hit a puddle. I wish I still had it, it would be a rail buggy now though.

First car............1972 VW Super Beetle, Green with Sunroof.

Not very cool as a Freshman........6 months later purchased 1974 442 Olds Cutlass......much better car........a little bit faster with the gas guage as well. That 455 thoroughly enjoyed the petroleum products

:viking: '84 Dodge Caravan 4 banger that the AC never worked in. Put in a nice sound system to keep entertained on long road drives (frequent practice since I used to go to a LOT of medieval fairs and reenactments), kicked out the seats and drove it through 2 transmissions, 2 engines eventually till it just didn't want to jam anymore and the engine blew up! I miss that ole war wagon.

An '80-something black Buick Reliant with gray interior. We called it the B*TCH-mobile because there were 5 preset buttons on the radio, and I had applied alphabetic stickers to each one spelling out her namesake. I got it my senior year of high school. I didn't care so much about having a car as I did about being able to paint it when graduation time rolled around. Unfortunately I totalled it in an accident occurring during an Alice Cooper song on the radio - it was off of one of his sad attempts at "coming back" so maybe there was a connection to his song and my totalled car. Regardless, my car was loaded with people at the time, and luckily nobody was hurt beyond a scratch on my nose and a bruised knee in the back seat. Live and learn!

Be safe when you do make your choice!

With fake wood trim.

I was only 4 years older than it.

All electrical seats and windows.

A giant, unbreakable POS. The perfect car for an aggressive 16 year old.

Crush spaces measured in yards, acceleration times measured in minutes.

The engine and trans were unbreakable and survived all of the abuse I heaped on them.

Probably cost my dad about $.10

Easy to work on, kept my bills down.

Could not pass a gas station. 351W.

Peter

First car............1972 VW Super Beetle, Green with Sunroof. Not very cool as a Freshman ...

I seem to remember from my university days that we always used to say that the cutest guys drove the most beat-up cars....but then again I may just be feeling defensive of the ol' VW Super Beetle. Mine was yellow, no sunroof but she was in great shape with eye-lash headlight attachments and her name was "Betty Boop".

I bought it from my older brother for $200. It had right front fender damage. I was 15. I bought a junker for $25 at the junk yard, took all of the parts I needed and left it at the junk yard. I drove it until a lady ran into me and totalled it in a parking lot right after I graduated from High School.

Kayla, too bad you aren't here in Virginia. I am selling my 1992 Toyota Previa mini van. It's a great vehicle and holds tons of gear. I have been really happy with my Previa, but it's time. I'm buying a new 4Runner since it is a great time to buy new.

I also have a 1967 Mustang Convertible with a 390 CI (now a 401). That's about 6.7 liters for you young'uns. It's fun to drive, but doesn't get past a gas station without stopping.

... black, with tan interior. Cost a bundle when I bought it in '81, about 12000 German Mark. Sold it five years later for 15,500. :D
I was all over Switzerland, Austria and France with it, Northern Italy and *gasp* England. Odd to drive on the other side, I drove on all lanes. One of the last real adventures ... :mean:
When I moved on (on, not up!) to a Fiat Spider my brother drove it. Right into the ground. Blew the engine on his vacation trip to the French Riviera. Returned in the backseat of a friend. Dad: Where's your car?" "Broke down outside of town." "How far outside of town?" About a 1000 kilometers ..." :boom:
Luckily I forgot to cancel the towing insurance 2 years earlier. :D

Kayla once bubbled...
... are the greatest! I totally didn't expect this many people to reply! :) I'm not totally sure what I want my first car to be... but I think I want a truck. (Gotta haul dive gear somehow!) Plus, a lot of my family lives on farms.. and it would be a lot easier to get around in a truck! Also... thanks for the advice-on-the-side! It was awfully nice of ya'll. :D

Kayla:)

Trucks work out nice.. I've got a '98 ranger 4x4 w/a v6 in it and I have to be honest and say its the most reliable vehicle I've driven. A real workhorse. My wife drives a 98 Cherokee w/a V6.. Lots of room for gear, 4x4 for farm driving and when she lived up north in the snow of MI, and that little beast is awsome to!

1975 BMW 2002. Britisih racing green, i restored it and then gone in a "minor" fender bender, but they couldnt find parts for it. to bad so sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom