Your First Car....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A bright yellow 1974 'sunny' vw beetle...what a car, I miss him.

Got a VW Golf GTi now, fast as you like!!

It had a 170 in-line 6 cylinder, four doors, a two-speed automatic, a hand choke, and a vacuum tube AM radio. I could carry the whole Lake Howell High water polo team. It was a nice car.

Mine did not have the wood-grain siding or roof-rack like the one in the picture, but it will give you the idea:

1974 AMC Javelin

The only cool car AMC ever made. It was almost 10 years old when I got it. My bestfriend & roomate had a Plymouth Satelite.
Guys at parties would always come in & ask who owned those 2 cars. Donna & I would yell out "We do!" They were always shocked that girls owned the 2 coolest cars around.

I wish I still had it:( I carried a picture of it in my wallet, until I had kids.

1957 Chevy Belaire. Got it for $30 bucks and it ran like a charm. Oh by the way..Gas was 25 cents a gallon!:D

...Black and rust. Growing up in Michigan and all the salt we use on the roads up here, the rear quarterpanels were GONE. The trunk on each side had holes in them you could throw a cat through!

It was a great little car with a "3 on the tree" and a 225ci slant 6. The transmission started making noise when it hit 90,000 so we put 80/90 wt. gear oil in the I'm stupid to replace the factory atf and that quieted it right down. Then that winter it went to -22, and I couldn't get the car to move! The gear oil was like tar in the transmission and rear end!

A week before I left for Basic Training in 1974 I spun out on an icy bridge and snatched the front fender off on the railing end post. Gave it back to my Dad (who had bought it new in '65) and he fixed it up and had my younger sister driving it later that spring.

They sold it in 1978 for $600 with 170,000 miles on it!

My first car was a 72(?) Vega, burnt more oil than gas. Always had the dream of turning it into a funny car. Thank god I was too poor to do that.

Then a year later I went to a 79 Ford F150 club cab, then I wanted something more economical so I bought another winner of a car: The classic 81 (?) pinto. After that I went with new.

The first new car I had was an 85 Mercury Capri RS, very nice and very fast. After I lost my license for the third time (too many tickets) I bought a full size blazer - used and slower. Got tired of the gas costs (again) and down sized to a 91 Ford Ranger. Then a 97 Chevy Silverado LT Z-71 ext cab truck followed by another in 2000 and now I have a 2003 GMC Sierra 1500HD 4 door 4 x 4. It even has a DVD player!

My wife said this is the last new vehicle for me for the next 10 years. :(

My first car at 16 was an 84 TransAm- black & gold, Bandit-style. I abruptly rapped it around a tree a month after getting my license. :(

First car was a ,58 Thunderbird convertible with power everything. Was holding out for a '56 or '57 but the folks figured all T-Birds were alike and they'd be doing me a favor by putting a down payment on a "newer model". Doh!!

Looking back now, I wouldn't mind having even the '58 today....sigh.

tj

Back
Top Bottom