Your favorite New England dive spot?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Man...this makes me realize that I have only begun to experience some of the coolness that New England offers.

I've only done shore dives so far out here, but I have most enjoyed Old Garden Beach and Cathedral Rocks. I need to get out on a boat!

Old Garden is just pretty--usually lots of good vis, too. Cathedral allows some depth and there is coolness to be found all over. The sheer volume of starfish is overwhelming!

Does anyone know why is it called Cathedral?

Probably a namesake of the estate that's on the edge of the street that you park on. The estate is called Cathedral something or other... I think Cathedral Ledge.

-Roman.

One of my favorities is a boat dive at the Isle of Shoals because of all the friendly seals swimming all around you. It's surreal!

Great replies! I hope to see more.

MSilvia,

Ya, it would be pretty nice to find the Tenny, although I'm sure you're right that without a mag it would be tough going and using just a fish finder you'd spend alot of time "discovering" rocks. Although, there are some interesting wire-drag spots on NOAA charts in that area. Too bad the vis is often poor, or atleast unpredictable in that general area.

So, is there just wreckage "out in the open" off Minots? Even though this is my backyard, I ussually choose to drive up to Cape Ann for most of my diving. Although I did dive Hogshead rock a few years ago, tough current, low vis, and lots of lobster gear, but, with the huge number of wrecks in the area, it is intriguing.

The whold South Shore, espically Cohasset and Scituate are
dotted with people with huge anchors on their lawns, the other day I saw in guy in Scituate who even had a bell on display. I guess some of the local guys in the 60s and 70s brought up cannon, swords, etc.

I'd say the "big" finds yet to be made off the South Shore are:

The Tenny

The Alabama - I've seen china from her - very nice- although the wreck, after spilling some of here 'riches,' drifted off and sank in deep water

The St. John - 100plus Irish immigrants killed, a 10' cross in the local cemetery over the mass grave, but, no bell or anchor. Although I've heard some local guys know of where she is, but, there's so much kelp that it makes searching almost impossible.

I haven't had much chance to explore the ledge yet, but anecdotal reports of loose wreckage lead me to that conclusion. I can personally verify that the remains of the old lighthouse are where they fell though, as I came across one of the support legs at the end of my last dive there. Following it to look for the house will be my next objective at the site.

Slack tide is definately the time to go.

MASS-Diver once bubbled...
So, is there just wreckage "out in the open" off Minots?

My dad will have his boat running in the spring, and trips out of Cohasset harbor will be possible from time to time. I'd guess we could probably get 4 divers out on it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom