Your favorite dives in South Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BradnerBoy

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be visiting the sunny south from Vancouver the week of Oct 26 through Nov 1 and am looking for recommendations for some dive sites in around south Florida (on either coast). I particularly want to hear what some of your favorite spots are and build an itinerary for the week to try some.

My cert level is PADI Rescue Diver, I have no cave or wreck specialties, but I do have my Enriched Air specialty and just over 100 dives. I'll research the recommended sites and determine if they're within my ability.

I'll be in Orlando, but then plan to head to Ginnie Springs for a day on Monday. From there, I'm game to go anywhere. As much as I'd like to head down to Key West (loved it there as a teen), I don't think I want to be driving too much.

Some spots I've done some research on and would like to try:

Ginnie Springs - need I say more
Venice - the Boneyard
Miami - I've read good things about RJ Diving
Boynton - sounds like some decent wreck diving

BTW...I'll be solo, so if anyone wants to call in sick for a day to play host and take to some of their favorite sites, I'd be thrilled. It goes without saying that, should you WWW (warm water wimps) ever venture north to the glorious emerald seas of British Columbia, I'd return the favor :cheers:

Thanks for any input and suggestions.

Todd.

My favorites:

Blue Heron Bridge (North Palm Beach)
Sea Emperor and United Caribbean (Boynton Beach / Pompano area)
The Eagle (Key Largo / Tavenier)
The Benwood (Key Largo / Tavenier)
Conch Wall (Key Largo / Tavenier)

I'd also suggest Jupiter for a different take on reefs. A bit deeper, huge ledges, often bigger critters.

If tides work right, and you really like macro, the Blue Heron bridge rarely disappoints. However, construction is supposed to begin any day now, so I'd suggest not planning specifically for it.

Unfortunately, a large group of us will be headed to Ginnie Springs at the end of that week, from Oct. 30-Nov. 1, so few will be in town to join you for the weekend in S. Fl.

However, if you're able to twist your schedule to join us in Ginnie at the end of the week, you'd certainly be welcomed!

From the Orlando area, many people like Jupiter and West Palm Beach. You can drive down, dive and drive back in a day. For a weekend trip, I like Pompano Beach. The soft corals, sea whips and sea fans are all good there and there are good fish populations. The Sea Emperor is a good dive.

Unless you are stopping there on the way down, Blue Grotto and Devil's Den are closer to Orlando than Ginnie. I've only been to Ginnie once and will keep my opinion to myself. Regardless which one you choose, I recommend you hit the springs during the week. Lots of LDSs use them for check out dives on the weekends and they can get crowded.

Jupiter- Area 51
Key Largo- Speigel Grove bow section
Key Largo- Conch Wall

Have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom