Your favorite certification agency ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The premise between a UTD class and a PADI class are different. It's like trying to contrast the difference between architects and engineers. The former know a little about everything and the latter know everything about a little. Which is better depends entirely on your outlook. In the same way, choose the agency that closest aligns to your approach and thinking. Isn't that what this thread is all about? There's no need to try and convert someone over to your way of thinking. Dive and let dive.

Dear NetDoc,
I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking, I don't have anything to gain by doing that. I'm only a consumer / learner and am just trying to share my experience as a fellow consumer and justify why I disagreed that which agencies you went with don't really matter, only instructors do.

This thread was about our favourite certification agency. I voted for GUE (not UTD) and gave my reasons why.

Differences in approaches to diver training are what justifies comparisons of agencies to be valid. If every single agency had the same approach to training and had the same curriculum, then the premise that only the instructor matters would be true. But since different agencies approach training differently and sometimes from totally different paradigms, we as consumers can then make comparisons on what is better for us. I don't think my comparison was unfair. I picked courses that would allow divers to dive to similar levels.

Some agencies take a minimalist approach to training. Just make sure the diver won't kill himself or his buddies, and he's good to go, give him a C card.

Other agencies take a more stringent approach to training. Train divers beyond their target certification in both knowledge and skills, and make sure they know what they're doing, before giving them a C card.

I'm not a groupie of any dive agency. I go in with both eyes open to see what they do well, and what they don't.

I understand that such comparisons in the big scheme of things are very sensitive topics, as many members, supporters of the forum and some moderator's livelihoods are affected by what people say on these boards, because they are part of the training industry. Perhaps certain things are better left unsaid. From the tone of the discussions, it also seems that support for certain agencies are frowned upon, not because of their training methods or merits as an agency, but for other more personal, irrelevant reasons.

Respectfully to all my betters and seniors on this thread, I take my leave from this discussion (and will try to stay away from such threads in future).

rotuner that was very well put!!!!

It's good to see people getting certified, hope they are getting the training they really need. PADI is adapting and new standards are coming that will hopefully produce better entry level divers.

I certified NAUI open water 30 years ago. I'm in the PADI system now. I won't say one is better than the other. For those looking to get certified that are reading this. Find a shop in your area, talk to people that have certified with that shop, talk to the instructors. If it fits what your looking for then go get certified regardless of the agency. Then go dive!!!!

Differences in approaches to diver training are what justifies comparisons of agencies to be valid. If every single agency had the same approach to training and had the same curriculum, then the premise that only the instructor matters would be true. But since different agencies approach training differently and sometimes from totally different paradigms, we as consumers can then make comparisons on what is better for us. I don't think my comparison was unfair. I picked courses that would allow divers to dive to similar levels.
... and the biggest problem I have with this rationale is that it's too simplistic and fails to consider that agencies don't train divers ... instructors do. Agencies specify what must be taught, and in some cases how it must be taught. But they provide just the framework ... it's the instructor who either makes the effort to assure the student understands the curriculum and achieves the class objectives or not.

I've been involved in enough classes and dived with enough divers who trained with your chosen agency to know that the premise that they are all taught to the same level is not accurate. My first Fundies class was NOTHING like my second one ... which is why I took a second one. I know other people on ScubaBoard who have had less than good experiences with a Fundies class ... one in particular that was taught by GUE's training director that was discussed in some detail on here a couple years ago that was, from all accounts I read, not a well-taught class. So while the agency does matter ... the instructor matters far more.

Some agencies take a minimalist approach to training. Just make sure the diver won't kill himself or his buddies, and he's good to go, give him a C card.
No agency take an approach to "just make sure the diver won't kill himself or his buddies, and he's good to go". Granted, some instructors do ... and they do so by following a checklist approach that, while it technically meets standards, fails to correctly define the meaning of the term "mastery". If there is blame to the agency it lies not in the standards, but in the fact that the agency allowed those people to become instructors in the first place. This is where I'll give your chosen agency a nod ... they demand far more from their instructors than other agencies. But it is still ultimately the instructor that teaches the class.

Other agencies take a more stringent approach to training. Train divers beyond their target certification in both knowledge and skills, and make sure they know what they're doing, before giving them a C card.
No agency requires instructors to "teach beyond their target certification in both knowledge and skills". Some agencies make it easier for instructors who choose to do so than others. Some ... like the agency I teach for ... encourage instructors to do so based on the philosophy that instructors are more cognizant of local environment and student needs than the agency. Some allow an instructor to withhold certification if the material added by the instructor is not mastered suitably by the student. But none mandate that an instructor must train beyond the stated goals of the target certification.

I'm not a groupie of any dive agency. I go in with both eyes open to see what they do well, and what they don't.
I'm curious how many different agencies you have actual experience with?

I understand that such comparisons in the big scheme of things are very sensitive topics, as many members, supporters of the forum and some moderator's livelihoods are affected by what people say on these boards, because they are part of the training industry. Perhaps certain things are better left unsaid. From the tone of the discussions, it also seems that support for certain agencies are frowned upon, not because of their training methods or merits as an agency, but for other more personal, irrelevant reasons.
This is the usual rhetoric I've been seeing for the past dozen years in countless agency threads on ScubaBoard ... which invariably go the same direction, often by the same people. It's based mostly on personal preferences and false assumptions about agencies that, I'm willing to bet, you've had no personal experience with.

The reasons I take issue with a lot of the proselytizing that goes on with respect to GUE isn't personal or irrelevant. I've got experience with that agency, and I recommend people in that direction regularly ... I'm the person who originally recommended a GUE class to TSandM, and loaned her a rig to take it in. So it's wrong to state that I have personal or irrelevant reasons for my comments in this thread. I just don't happen to believe it's as universally good as some of you do ... nor do I believe it's an appropriate choice for everyone. GUE has a specific target market in mind, which isn't the majority of people who dive or who participate in ScubaBoard conversations. Sure, they offer things you can't get through other agencies unless you're lucky enough to find a specific instructor who includes them in their curriculum ... but any diver can become adequately skilled through a class taught by any agency if the instructor is diligent (and skilled) enough to teach the class properly ... and within the standards of the agency. I know way too many excellent instructors from many different agencies to believe otherwise.

I get real tired of seeing people making comments like the ones you made in your post above ... because, frankly, it always boils down to rhetoric and agency-bashing by people who have, at best, taken a Fundies class and suddenly decide they know all the issues and inadequacies of the dive industry. To use a phrase that you're perhaps familiar with, you don't know what you don't know.

I've got nothing against GUE. Lord knows I send enough people their way, including a significant percentage of my own students. But it's a good fit for a particular type of diver ... and a poor fit for others. It's one way to attain skills ... but it's not the only way. And frankly, I've seen plenty of people come out of Fundies who were floundering ... I've helped some of them continue to develop their skills, just as I was helped by a local GUE-trained diver when I came out of Fundies. Because no matter what class you take, you don't get skills out of a class ... you get a set of tools to help you learn skills. If you want to say that GUE provides you with a really good set of tools I'll agree ... but it's a very specific set of tools, and it leaves out a lot of choices that are more appropriate for where some people want to take their diving.

My reasons for my comments here are based on recognizing that not everyone will want to take their diving in the direction that GUE classes will take them ... nor will everyone particularly benefit from going that direction. In some cases, it will only hold you back. Choices are there for a reason ... there is no "best" ... there's only a "best for you". For some ... for the reasons stated in TSandM's earlier post ... GUE will be that best way. For others, for many of those same reasons, it won't be. But it'll have more to do with approach and philosophy than it will with skill development.

That's why we have different agencies. Your "favorite" ... like everyone else ... boils down to which one offers the services that best help you take your diving to the level you want to take it. And more often than not it won't boil down the agency at all ... it'll be the instructor and the support group that helps you achieve the skill and comfort level that keeps you diving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Could you compare and contrast the various agency that you have first hand experience on?

---------- Post added December 25th, 2013 at 12:45 PM ----------

2) GUE. Because they grew from the seed PADI planted but decided to put 100% of their focus on quality. GUE is happy to remain a niche player. They're very expensive, their courses are very challenging and the divers they produce are very good. It's GOOD that our industry has an agency that offers the option to specialize and focus on nothing but perfection! GUE deserves the bragging rights for that. They created it, they own it and they deserve it. ALL of it. As for UTD... meh... it's just GUE with differences in opinion as opposed to differences in goals and/or results.

3) IANTD. I personally think that they strike the middle ground. Technical training with neither "Judge Dredd" nor "Mr. Rogers" as an instructor. IANTD is the middle ground between "too much" and "too little". They teach you what you need to know without telling you "you're not good enough" (when you are) or "you are good enough" (when you're not). To me IANTD is the realist in the group.

R..
I still remember the IANTD's Encyclopedia has a picture of youthful looking Mr. J in it. He was a IANTD Cave Instructor then.

UTD has my votes. I have spent 3-4 months on scubaboard looking at different agencies. I Just completed Extreme Scuba Makeover yesterday with Marco. I am totally impressed. In the 2 hour class session, everything that was explained in just an introductory fashion made much more sense to me. I am a math/science guy so i am guessing this is why i liked it.
PADI is great for those that want to "jump in and go see fish" but if you wish to become a proficient diver with mastery of skills and techniques I think UTD is the way to go for me.
The fact that i was so over weighted by PADI, blew me away. I am 6-0 290 lbs and was weigthed with 18 lbs on my cert dives in trunks in St Lucia. In the pool i was able to maintain my trim and do the skills with 5-6 lbs. I had 30 lbs with a 7 mm suit, and thinking that this will drop to 20 or so.

[FONT=Lucida Grande, Lucida Sans Unicode, sans-serif]The fins negatively buoyant made a huge difference and while I was thinking that I needed. So i went out to the SD swap meet and was able to pick up a pair XL Jet fins for $10. *will be using sb and a pair of diy spring straps also,[/FONT]
Cant wait to take UTD essentials of rec and move on towards becomming a certified UTD diver. Even if i have to drive 2 hours to get there.

The fact that i was so over weighted by PADI, blew me away.

PADI didn't overweight you one ounce.

PADI standards call for the instructor to work with you repeatedly to fine tune your weighting. If you were overweighted, then your instructor overweighted you, not PADI.

I love all the posts in threads like this that can be rephrased this way: "I took a basic introductory course from Agency A, and then I took a more advanced course from Agency B. You won't believe how much more I learned from Agency B! It shows they are way better than Agency A!"

PADI didn't overweight you one ounce.
It's important that we put the blame squarely where it belongs. No agency certifies a single individual: Instructors do. Choosing an instructor is primary and their agency affiliation is secondary if important at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom