Yosemite Compatible IrDA Dongle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EdMcNeill

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Does anyone know what IrDA dongle will work with MAC OS X 10.10? I just got a dongle from Amazon that says its compatible (the Polar) but it is only compatible with OS X 10.9 and below.

IrDA hasn't been supported natively on OS X for a long time. There are, however a few option.

If you need an IrDa dongle to communicate with your computer, you can run Windows (via Parallels or VMware) on your Mac and the IrDA dongle will work (Windows supports the full IrDA stack, OS X does not).

You can also do the import some other way. For example, use Divemate ( DiveMate | Innovation for Divers ) on your Android phone and then sync with Divemate on the Mac.

What dive computer are you trying to connect to?

Thanks for the advice, I have the same issue I own a Mac but cant get an IRDA to work so I ended up using my work laptop (windows instead). Its annoying I wish they would just move to Bluetooth instead of sticking with this old tech that's no longer supported. You would think they (Scubapro) would look at windows and Mac as standard operating systems that any tech they produce must be able to sync with. My computer is the Galileo Luna.

I don't really like the idea of having to partition my hard drive and install windows on my MacPro just so I can connect. It feels a bit like the proverbial sledgehammer to crack an egg approach.

I don't really like the idea of having to partition my hard drive and install windows on my MacPro just so I can connect. It feels a bit like the proverbial sledgehammer to crack an egg approach.

You don't have to partition your drive. The virtual machine file system is just a big file inside the host (Mac OS) one. I agree it is still a pain though.

You can order the dongle on Amazon for about $20. It works with DiveLog to download in Mac OS. It is the only one that works.

Ahhh, so DiveLog apparently provides its own IrDA connectivity to the Galileo from within the application! Clever. They seem to be the only ones who have bothered to do this, basically a work-around for the fact that OS X doesn't include a built-in IrDA stack.

I'm using Subsurface, but will give DiveLog a test drive.

Ahhh, so DiveLog apparently provides its own IrDA connectivity to the Galileo from within the application! Clever. They seem to be the only ones who have bothered to do this, basically a work-around for the fact that OS X doesn't include a built-in IrDA stack.

I'm using Subsurface, but will give DiveLog a test drive.

+1 to that, i will give it a try.

As the developer of DiveLogDT/Dive Log Manager, I can confirm that yes, we *did* add all our own IrDA code to be able to download UWatec IrDA based dive computers - including writing our own drivers so you don't need to go and find any. Just plug in a *compatible* IrDA dongle :D and it should "just work". Sorry to hear that your Polar one didn't. I'm always amazed that for such an old and out of date technology, that new IrDA chips are still showing up!! But because we did our own drivers, we can only support the chips that UWatec uses/used. We can confirm that the one listed in the link works just fine and the price keeps getting lower. For those outside of an Amazon site regular shipping area, we do have some hints on where to find the same one.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any issues or questions,
Janice

I doubt this one will work. Looks similar (same chip) as the one from GearMo that I have (which does not work on my Mac Yosemite - latest driver is for 10.9). I haven't tried, but think the Actisys 4002 and 4020 adapters claim compatibility (IrDA, IR Products) and list a driver for 10.10. (DownLoad).
Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom