Yoke 1st stage with HP100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I'm still trying to concieve of how it would be possible to crack/rupture a yoke reg without the little tank-to-reg O-ring extruding/popping/tearing up and releasing the pressure LONG before you'd begin to stretch/fracture the METAL yoke reg ???

As Ron said, the yoke will not fail in a catastrophic manner. The yoke will normally stretch elastically and the O-ring will extrude without any mechanical/ structural damage occurring to the yoke. Just a big scare if you didn’t seat the yoke connection properly.

That is in a normal situation with the yoke screw only torque by hand. In theory you could tighten it enough to do some damage, but it is unlikely unless you use a big wrench… and you are not supposed to use any wrench.

As Ron also mentioned, Cousteau regularly used yoke connection to 5000 psi.

I started using DIN connections back in the 70’s (back then they were only called 5/8” threaded connections and they were not around in the US back then), but I personally prefer to use a yoke and I use them with 3500 psi all the time without an issue.

Considering a warm AL80 can easily see 3200-3300psi, I really don't sweat using a yoke connection on a 3442psi HP tank. If 200psi is really all that stands between a safe dive and a catastrophic valve failure, we've got some really serious problems to deal with.

Thanks all, I appreciate the input. Now I'm going to go out and get that HP100 (I love buying scuba stuff).

Adam

I've used my 1978 Mk5 / 3000 yoke on 3300 & 3442 tanks. Even had a few 3950 fills with it & no problems.

What can happen over time is the threads in the yoke weaken & eventually strip. But I really don't expect that with a 3442 tank, especially with a modern yoke. It would be a problem, over enough time, with my old yoke. But I converted it to DIN.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but what about a warm HP100? ;-)

Considering a warm AL80 can easily see 3200-3300psi, I really don't sweat using a yoke connection on a 3442psi HP tank. If 200psi is really all that stands between a safe dive and a catastrophic valve failure, we've got some really serious problems to deal with.

I own a Scubapro MK17 on it it say's the Yoke is approved for 232Bar which converts out to 3364.8816 which is just under the recomnded tank pressure of 3442. With that being said I used my Yoke Valve with the Worthington X-7 HP100 for a year untill they were do for their service and then switched them to Din. With these Tanks your Maxing out the rate at which they were ment to handle can they do more sure. Most Manufactures put the Lower Max on the equipment less likely to fail then if they stated 4000PSI.

Any way I think for a short period you should be fine and a possibility they might work fine for years for you. Mr personally Scuba has enough risk's on it's own without adding to it. If your thinking about the HP100 I would consider Getting your reg's switched to Din's in a timely manner.

The warm fill was more my concern as it pushed the envelope for my safety that I felt comfortable as there was times my tank was filled to 37-3800 so when it cooled it would settle at about 3400~

I'm also in the same situation here, looking to convert to HP100 tank. The one I was looking at had a DIN valve - silly question but do I need to put on an adapter for my yoke first stage? Thanks.

Adaptor screws into the valve, sandwiching an internal o ring tightened with an allen key.
Monthly removal-check and removal for storage is good. Rubber band it to the valve, because misplacement is bad.
I have not had a problem with yokes and high pessures unless I do something stupid, even with the early rectangular skinny square ones.
Why do I see yoke knobs with tool marks and crushed and rubber knobs missing leaving the screw, also with tool marks?:no::no::no:

Last edited:
Adaptor screws into the valve, sandwiching an internal o ring tightened with an allen key.
Monthly removal-check and removal for storage is good.

This is true for a 200bar din valve, but I dont think you can adapt a 300bar din valve (I could be wrong about that).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom