YMCA and Y-Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I taught YMCA scuba for several years and the sanction thing killed me. I work in a resort area where "I want to start right now" is not uncommon. Due to this I did a NAUI crossover last summer. NAUI doesn't have the "silly" sanction requirement. Also I found they have much more modern materials.

I would be teaching YSCUBA today if it hadn't been for the sanction requirements. I hope Tom and all the best success and will have to see if they will "have me back" in the future.:)

Here is a link that Y Instructors might find helpful:
http://www.cmasamericas.com/news.htm
regards,
Darryl

Thanks Darryl. I was wondering if we were going to be able to continue offering CMAS certs through Tom's new agency as well. Gonna have to ask him.

I also think you'll be very welcome. This was one of the things we talked about. The sanction thing killed alot of instructors desire to continue with the program. I read John Sousa'a letter regarding it and see no reason for it other than someone wanting a little too much control. They should have trusted the integrity of their people. All it did was push good people away to other agencies that not only did not have the silly requirement but allowed on line processing. Their sanctions put the final nail in the coffin of the program. Even now the requirement that I have to get a letter from the director of a local Y to say it's cool to teach in this area is not too intelligent. As I said in another post my "local" Y for this area is like 40 miles away. They do not have a scuba program and I'd not be teaching there any way. Oh well. We do what we have to do till things get right. I just got a big chunk of my materials for crossing over to NAUI. Just have to see what comes first and makes the most sense for me. THanks again for the link.

Sanctions? Could you explain this? I'm not familiar with this.

Thank you.

Jim,

The details are still in process. All Y Instructors will be required to go through the Y/CMAS Workshop. We are finding out that a number of people have been issued 1 Star Instructor certifications (Y AI is a 4 star diver not 1 star Instructor) 4 star divers will be able to teach and certify CMAS 1-2 star skin diver courses. I met with Frank 2 weeks ago to finalize with CMAS Tech STDs (and Instructor materials to become available. They will not be as costly as NAUI/PADI materials) and these should be posted shortly. In short, we have sent individual emails to all the current Y instructors listed (next will be mailers to the instructors without emails). Everyone needs to understand the difference between national training standards and International. With CMAS, These are International STDs and are recognized as such world wide.

I'm not always on this cite because I have too many projects going on. But thank you for your postings. Questions: Welcome to CMAS AMERICAS OFFICIAL WEBPAGE look for About Us and you can contact Frank or myself.

BR
George EVP CMAS AMERICAS

Sanctions? Could you explain this? I'm not familiar with this.

Thank you.

The YUSA started a requirement where in order to teach a class you had to call, send in a form, etc to start a class. Every class. You needed to obtain this number to get the cert cards at the end of the course. Supposedly this was to be sure that the instrcutor was teaching a course they were qualified to teach. They do this with lifeguard classes. Now that is fine as a lifeguard class is usually put together weeks in advance and even longer as they know in say March that warm weather is coming and lifeguards will be needed. So you take names, sign them up get the number and no sweat. But with scuba you do not always have that luxury. And what about the person who wants private lessons. You may need to get 2 sanctions for the same time period. It makes no sense and was the killer of the program. Along with a requirement that you needed to get a letter from the director of the Y servicing your area that stated a Y scuba program would benefit the organization and community. Even if you were not teaching at the local Y. My "local" Y was torn down to make room for an insurance company office building. THey closed citing lack of support. Perhaps the regs put on by Y USA had something to do with that?

Thank you for the explanation. That is way too restrictive for our taste. Things are bad enough without adding more restrictions. CMAS is into KISS. In the future, if we are to use a Y Pool we are going to have to ask them how much. We will then want and sell the course al a cart. My opinion I could be wrong.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom