Yet anouther reg comparison....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_Bipartitus

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am looking at buying a new reg, the following are the choices I have narrowed the field to

-Mares Abyss 05
-Atomic Z1
-Scubapro MK25/R390

And no the unusual Scubapro pair is not a typo. The LDS guy said they got a deal and wanted to make an inexpensive MK25 setup. He also claimed most of the performance came from the first stage, which I wouldn't mind some comments on if that is true...
I don't think I could go wrong with a MK25 1st, but would it be wasted on a R390 2nd? I also don't like Scubapro on account of their product shipping policies. All three options would be a local purchase, so it's just a philosophical difference.

I think I am leaning towards the Abyss. Anyway, all three are about the same price for me, so if anyone would like add their opinions, I would appreciate it.

I would think you can get a ScubaPro MK17/S550 combo for about the same as the one you have listed would be priced. I think you would find that the performance would be better than the one you have listed and you would like the smaller s550 better. Not to mention the s550 is just like a s600 without the adjustment.

Size wise, the S550 and R390 are the same as both are based on the small sized case. The difference is that the S550 uses a balanced poppet while the R390 uses an unbalanced poppet. Most divers notice the performance increase with the S550.

Scubapro, like other companies, charges more for second stages than first stages overall. So the cost difference between an R390 and an S550 is going to be greater (about $150) than the difference between a Mk 17 and a Mk 25. (about $65).

Plus the R390 has also been discontinued in the US which allows dealers sell it well below retail and basically give it way at cost if they want. So any package with an R390 second stage can be made very attractive.

If you are not in love with a swivel for the LP ports, I'd recommend a Mk 17 first stage. The Mk 17 has less brute performance than the MK 25 with a flow rate of 177 SCFM compared to 300 SCFM but 177 SCFM is more than enough for even deep air and technical diving situations so the MK 25's extra performance is, in my opinion, overkill. Personally, I prefer the sealed design, superb cold water reliability, compact size and lighter weight of the Mk 17.

If the dealer is only offerring a MK 25 R390 package, the price is going to be hard to beat. But it would be worth asking if he is also offering a Mk 17 R390 package as it would offer equally good to better real world performance for a little less money.

I suspect he is only offering the mk25/R390 package as he had about 5 or 6 assembled next to the sale sign. But I will ask him. The price is around $300.

I like the Abyss. Very solid performer and one of the few regs that still offer a second stage made of metal instead of crappy plastics.

M_Bipartitus:
I suspect he is only offering the mk25/R390 package as he had about 5 or 6 assembled next to the sale sign. But I will ask him. The price is around $300.
That's only slightly higher than the retail price of a Mk 25, so you are getting the R390 almost for free.

I know exactly what dive shop you are talking about and I am thinking about making a simalar purchase. That was my thought, for that price I could always upgrade. Let me know what you decide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom