Yet another wing question ..... Sorry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have spent days trying to figure out what I wanted. I've read threads, blogs, manufacturer sites, etc and thought I had it figured out..... Dive Rite Transplate harness, less than $100 OMS or DGX stainless plate, and a 30# wing. The harness is now the only definate choice for the quick release buckles.

I usually dive aluminum 80's at home (fresh water) but I also have an al100 and a steel LP 95 as well. I read on a mfg site that a 30# wing is good for up to a al100. Sometimes I clip off a 27 cf pony when diving alone. Now the dilemma, we dive steel hp120's in Cozumel. Is the more buoyant salt water enough to to make up for the 120 tank and 30 pound wing?

So do I go with a 40# wing, stainless BP, and just have a little extra lift in freshwater? 2 wings are really not in the budget right now. Doubles are probably never in my future, cave diving does not interest me and an aluminum 100 or steel 120 is more than enough bottom time for 1 dive.

I'm 6'1" and 230#. Dive a 3/2 full wetsuit. I have a 7 mil full but the cool water trips ( Bonne Terre in Missouri and Blue Hole in New Mexico) are on permanent hold because my wife's NOPE meter pegs out at 72 degree water.

I just would like something more travel and trim friendly. It seems DSS Is the go to brand, but a 200 plate is not in the budget, nor a $300 wing, and the standard hogartharian rig is not what I want. I appreciate his Input on this site, but the frequent "Call Tobin" advice does not seem right when I'm not going to be buying his products this time around.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Jay
Take a good look at DSS glide adapter. I like it a lot. I have very inflexible joints and it helps me get in and even more importantly out (I get sea sick and need to be looking at the horizon asap). We got their package special - Torus28 wing and SS backplate. It is much easier to get in and out of that I thought it would be. Often I am not using the glide adapter feature.

As for sizing, most of the wing is to compensate for wetsuit compression and lead. With me, the Torus28 will allow me to use my 7mm in fresh water w/ Al80's. In salt w/ my 3mm any tank.

Good luck with your decision

Rocketman

[QUOTE="Rocketman3, post: 7789273, me
Take a good look at DSS glide adapter. I like it a lot. I have very inflexible joints and it helps me get in and even more importantly out (I get sea sick and need to be looking at the horizon asap). We got their package special - Torus28 wing and SS backplate. It is much easier to get in and out of that I thought it would be. Often I am not using the glide adapter feature.

Correction Torus26... (Close enough???)

30lb wing will be fine, but I guess the question is if the DSS rig all in is $480, do you really need a transplate harness, and if so, why?

I'd get the DSS rig, and order the glide harness adapter if you're concerned about getting in and out. Odds are you'll find that if it's fit properly you won't need it but the glide adapter is much easier to deal with than a QR in my experience. I have QR's on a few harnesses *Dive Rite Transpacs* and never use them. If you find that you still want/need a transplate, Large - Dive Rite Transplate Harness - Red -Large
they're not that expensive. John has them in Red and Blue at the discounted price. The sizing is about the length of the shoulder pads, everything else is the same.

It's really unusual that you would need a 40 lb wing for single tank diving, especially with the wetsuits you describe. I would avoid OMS simply due to the company's horrible reputation for customer service. I would just get one of the packages from dive gear express or DRIS with a steel plate and 30 lb wing.

Go ahead and get the harness you want, but understand that it's not uncommon for a new BP/W user to start with quick release harnesses and switch over to the hogarthian. I did.

Dive rite used to say stuff like their small wings were good for certain tanks....it's kind of nutty because the tank size has nothing to do with lift requirements other than larger tanks have more swing between full and empty. But that's never more than a couple of pounds difference. Lift requirement is based on your wetsuit compression, and on how much lift you need to float the rig without you in it. Single tanks are never that negative when full. Some steel doubles, sure, but they use much bigger wings. In general, IMO dive rite tends to overestimate the amount of lift needed, and their wings for many years were much bigger than was ideal. They seem to be building smaller wings now. If I were buying one for single tanks, it would definitely be the travel wing, not anything bigger.

You might find that with a thin wetsuit and a big steel tank, you're overweighted with a steel plate, but the solution to that is not to get a bigger wing, it's to use a AL or plastic plate in those situations. Lots of BP/W users eventually get a steel and AL plate specifically for that reason.

Go ahead and get the harness you want, but understand that it's not uncommon for a new BP/W user to start with quick release harnesses and switch over to the hogarthian. I did.

Yep, I made this switch too. Especially when moving from a jacket style BC, a basic harness looks ridiculously uncomfortable and like it doesn't have enough places to put things. Nothing could be farther from the truth. They are super comfortable, easy to get into, and you can always put a pocket on the belt if you need it.

ou might find that with a thin wetsuit and a big steel tank, you're overweighted with a steel plate, but the solution to that is not to get a bigger wing, it's to use a AL or plastic plate in those situations. Lots of BP/W users eventually get a steel and AL plate specifically for that reason.

Yes, again. I've got a 45 lb wing and it will float a full set of steel doubles with a SS backplate (just barely). A 30# wing should float a single tank pretty easily.

The reason for the quick releases is that I think my warranty has run out. When possible, I try to take my rig off in the water and hand it up. There are some medical issues that are creeping up faster than I'd like to admit. Knees, back, and shoulders are showing their miles.

Thank you everyone for the replies, especially the link to Northeast scuba supply. That's an insane deal on a trans plate!

Thanks again guys!

Jay

Hey Jay: I find it pretty easy to get out of my hogarthian rig in the water, as I keep the shoulder straps a little loose. But, I understand your pain; I am definitely not be as rubber and bullet proof as I was 20 years ago! Even though I've moved to a simple hogarthian harness, I still have my "deluxe" harness with quick release straps. I don't like the extra complexity of that unit, but if you want to get out of that rig quickly in the water and have it handed up, it would certainly work really well. It still beats a jacket style BC any day!

one of the biggest changes that people have to face with one piece harnesses is that the shoulders fit incredibly loose so you can slide out of the rigs very easily. What I would recommend is grabbing a DSS rig with the glide adapter. If that isn't enough, you can always put a QR on one shoulder on your own with the buckle itself and a pair of tri-glides.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom