Yet another "What tank to buy?" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
Nate I just spent a half hour composing a reply to you but they wouldn't let me use that many smilies and I lost it all ;-0

And it was really good too ;-0

;-0

Short version.....

They don't make 200 Bar regulators anymore

There is a reason.

Umm, as I understand, the reason they don't make the 200 Bar versions anymore is that the 300 Bar regulators work on both the 200 bar valves as well as the 300 bar valves. Why make two thing when one things work well for both?

Did I miss something?

Nate

Originally posted by newton

Did I miss something?
The forest....

Ah well... it's not important...

I am still burnin' over the idea of an LDS wanting to charge more for filling a DIN valve... PM me with the city you are in... and what kind of diving do they do over there anyway... it doesn't involve stock tanks does it?

Nate,

You said you wanted to do this right from get go, and that's what we're trying to help you do. UP has done about as good a job at presenting why 300DIN is the way to go as one can do. Just get the fill adaptor for the 300DIN valve. I'm sure the LDS won't charge you extra for a fill, that’s crazy.

You mentioned you couldn't find a valve for less than $100 other than the OMS. Are you talking about an H-valve?

Mike

Nate, I think your dive shop misunderstood what you were asking. When you mentioned 300 bar the shop employee probably thought that you were requesting a 4500 psi air fill or perhaps a Nitrox fill.

I know what you mean about "religion". When the high priest speaks, the acolytes scramble to comply. Personally, when the robes make a pronouncement I am reminded that I live on earth, not in the clouds, or in a cave.

You are trying for a solution which fits your particular situation. Great, it's worth it, if for no other reason than an exercise in independent thinking.

The particular risk evaluations by you know who are pretty picky. When one of my old 3000 psi tanks failed I was presented with a free 3500 psi tank from the man himself, PST. Problem was it had one of those Euro style DIN valves which didn't conform to any of my other gear. I didn't want an oddball tank or valve. Before deciding on whether to convert my entire tank set to 3500 psi bottles I had to consider the valve type. I opted to convert to HP but to remain with yolk style valves.

This meant machining a number of suitable yolk valves to fit the new HP tanks. No problemo, they have worked fine over the past two years.

I've hardly met another diver who has any interest in examining how a valve works. Like you, I do, and I looked at some valves in detail. In 1977 Sherwood redesigned the yoke style valve face. They completely changed the dimensions of the valve orifice, the annular ring and the O ring. Instead of the old style compression scheme where the O ring was essentially a washer, the newer valves employ metal to metal interface which totally seals the O ring's outside perimeter. The inside perimeter of the ring is not sealed but that is not necessary as pressure forces the ring out, not in. Therefore, extrusion is eliminated as long as the regulator is locked down tight. Who needs DIN?

To answer my own question, divers who are worried about fishing line entangling the yoke screw. Also, cave divers who have 5000 psi in their tanks and bump their heads a lot.

DIN valves are OK, so are yoke valves. The differences are a matter of plumbing, getting the right part to fit the other part. The rest is theory.

just to be an onery cuss...

I have 232 BAR DIN valves on my argon bottles so I can use either the yoke or DIN argon 1st stages that my wife and I have. This is the only use that I have for them.

I have 200 BAR DIN valves/manifold on a set of AL80's that I doubled up and hate. I also have the H-valves for this set up as well. This was done because I thought having the extra versitility was desirable. This stuff just sits in the garage now.

I will not buy another set of 200 BAR DIN valves and I will sell the ones I have on e-bay in the near future and replace them with 300 BAR DIN.

Save yourself some money and do it right the first time. I always look at the things like this when I am evaluating any new gear purchase.

omar

Originally posted by omar
I will not buy another set of 200 BAR DIN valves and I will sell the ones I have on e-bay in the near future and replace them with 300 BAR DIN.

Save yourself some money and do it right the first time.
Shoot Omar....
This is a small community....
What are you thinking man....

*Don't buy the stuff I'm gonna sell on ebay*

I really want to see the ebay description you write!
:D

Course I still have a Ranger in the garage to unload and I'm on here slapping them around....
:wink:

Hard to resist isn't it...

How about…….

Thermo modular valve system constructed from rugged aircraft grade brass with chrome overlay can accommodate both yoke and DIN first stage regulators with the use of a simple adapter. This modular valve system is the building block of both H-Valve and isolator manifold setups adding flexibility and growth to suit your needs. This item has the features demanded by divers worldwide with it's double barreled o-ring and adjustable crossbar section. Do not pass up this opportunity to purchase this item at a fraction of the original cost.

Instead of:
I am now offering a classic POS dive gear that I made the mistake of buying and am now pawning off on some poor unsuspecting neophyte with dreams of granduer and diving prowess.

omar

P.S.
I thought you already done did get quit of it.

P.S.
I thought you already done did get quit of it.
One... still have my daughter's to unload...er... I mean... pass on to some lucky dog!

BTW... ebay is such a funky deal it is hard to say which of your proposed descriptions will draw the most and highest bids...

just to be an onery cuss...
I have 200 BAR DIN valves/manifold on a set of AL80's that I doubled up and hate. I also have the H-valves for this set up as well. This was done because I thought having the extra versitility was desirable. This stuff just sits in the garage now.

I'm assuming you are either filling your own tanks, or can get fills locally, true?

So, how much do you want for them (seriously)?

If they're cheap enough, I might be interested. A win for both of us, since we can avoid the whole E-Bay hassle. :) :)

Nate

Originally posted by newton
So, how much do you want for them (seriously)?
Boy!.... that one went sideways on me.... whew....

Nate.... you assume correctly....
Yes Omar pumps his own....
He even banks 4.5K....
Uses LP jugs and....
300 bar DIN....
Go figure....

Back
Top Bottom