Yet another "What tank to buy?" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting ready to buy a set of tanks. For now they will be used as singles but I want to turn them into doubles in the future. I want steel so that I can get some of the 16 lbs off my belt. I know that if they are doubles in the future the DIR philosophy is I need a dry suit but for now they will be singles and swimming them up will be no problem if I drop my weight belt.

My questions are what sizes are generally used for doubles, and what is pressed steel and what is the advantage or disadvantage of it vs regular steel tanks?

Thank for the input.

Chad

Learn something everyday.

I assumed (I am aware of the saying) that it was a different manufacturing process.

How much do 104's run.

Chad

Originally posted by ckharlan66
Learn something everyday.

I assumed (I am aware of the saying) that it was a different manufacturing process.

How much do 104's run.

Chad

Hi Chad,

If you follow the links on the site I think there is one that explains the process. Some Tanks are made from pipe with a end welded on. PST tanks are like Drawn out of a solid peice of steel.

I think at Leisure Pro 104's are $275. That's with k valves. I want DIN. I'm also waiting for a price from my LDS ( might be cheaper as I wouldn't have to pay shipping.

There is a set of Brand New PST 104's on e-bay with the good bands and manifold, also Halcyon BP & harness. Looks sweet but lot's of $$$$$$$$$

I also am planning on singles for now, doubles later.

PST LP 104s...
Last ones I bought at 5thD were $285 with 300 bar DIN valve...
I wanted to buy some more last week but they are awaiting a shipment....
They go out as fast as they come in....

Anyway you probably need to buy them locally so you don't pay shipping twice... unless 5thD will drop order them for you.

The dive shop up here is selling 104's for $250ea. I would consider buying them without valves and getting two modular DIN K-valves (left hand and a right hand). Go with a Sea Elite, Dive Rite, or Scuba Pro valves (they're all the same). The Sea Elite should be the cheapest at Diver's Supply. When you're ready to double them up, all you'll need to buy is the isolator section rather than a whole new manifold (and therefore have two useless valves).

Good luck.

Mike

If anyone is looking at knocking up a set of doubles, here is a link to a guy in NJ that makes bands - $50 a set + $10 p&p. Compares well to Highland Millworks which run around $117 a set + shipping.

Combining that with 2 104's from LeisurePro (@$275), and a Sea Elite manifold for $170 + shipping (see thread on valves running at the moment), a complete set of doubles could be had for about $780 plus whatever shipping on the cylinders and manifold. 5th Dimension currently sell complete sets for $899. Hmmm only about $100 cheaper - might be easier to just buy it all in one hit :)

LY,

If I get the DIN's is there an adaptor for yolk to din so that I don't have to get a new first stage? At least until I do go to doubles.

Everyone,

Am I hearing that the PST is the best way to go or should I consider other choices? What about Farber and Genesis? I am not sure if my LDS can get PST and if it doesn't make a big difference I would like to buy from them. But if PST is the way to go I will find them somewhere else.

Thanks for all of the input so far.

Chad

Chad I know you wanted Yooper to answer but since he hasn't yet I'll tell you.... yes... but it is not an adapter ... it is the DIN replacement fitting... usual cost is $50~$60 and it replaces the yoke fitting on the first stage. If you were to buy 200 bar DIN valves for the tank they come with inserts and can be used directly with a yoke first stage.... this is not what I (or Yooper) would recommend.... go with the 300 bar DIN.

And

Your LDS can order from PST if they want to....
You want PST... because they are galvanized not painted

And just as importantly the weight and balance is better (IMO.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom