Yet another tall female in search of a suit that fits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cat

Contributor
Reaction score
Took a look at the other "tall female threads" but I think I need specific advice from others with similar body shape (tall when standing, average to short when sitting down) or others who might know what works for this shape.

I'm shopping for a suit for cold water diving (7mm/7mm jane + shorty, semi-dry is also a possibility) and could really use your collective wisdom and advice on what brands/designs to look for/avoid.

I'm about 5'10", but my legs are disproportionately long (inseam length about 34-35"). Also have relatively narrow hips and a rather large ribcage but am not heavily busted (thank goodness - I've been reading the fitting horror stories of those who are). I don't fit the "tall, skinny" description of a recent thread because the legs are fairly muscular (alas, my arms are not) and because of the ribcage and shoulder size.

The best fitting (womens XL) wetsuit I've tried on still had a bit too much torso length (didn't matter much at the time - but it will in really cold water) and far too much room at the hips and waist. Men's wetsuits that are long enough in the leg have been far, far too long and wide in the torso.

Anyone out there think this sounds like their body shape and have recommendations on suits (also BC/BP and good tank lengths to try, too?) for a poor newbie diver? I'd rather not go custom if it can be avoided.
Thanks! cat

As this is from a guy , take it with a grain of salt. I wear an Oneill wetsuit in a tall size. It fits my long legs just fine. I checked on their website and they do make women's tall sizes. Check it out.

leadweight once bubbled...
As this is from a guy , take it with a grain of salt. I wear an Oneill wetsuit in a tall size. It fits my long legs just fine. I checked on their website and they do make women's tall sizes. Check it out.

Actually, lots of guys seem to be savvy about sizing women's wetsuits (experience doen't have to be personal). Pity my LDS owner isn't one of them :) All help is welcomed and i will check the O'Neill site.

If it was just height that was the issue, I'd have no problem (I fit most unisex clothing well enough). There are women's XLs that fit my legs perfectly. Trouble is - they seem to be fitted for women who are also long in the torso - and I'm not. If I sit down, I suddenly become average :)
For years, I've worn a 5mm jane (sailing and working in lakes/rivers) that fits the torso fine but doesn't fasten properly at the leg/ankle zips. Hasn't been a problem while sailing and only one leech (now safely deceased) has ever found the gap while working but I'd really prefer to have a properly fitted suit while diving, so unless I find a manufacturer that fits suits for out-of proportion people, that means custom fit.

It's to be expected - a manufacturer can't make money catering to the extreme ends of a population unless they either specialize in oddball sizing or do custom fits - they'd end up with a whole pile of unsold suits.

Profound (interesting that it's a synonym for "deep") thanks to canuckdiver for all the tips on Canadian custom-fit manufacturers. I'll be checking those out ASAP :)

Hey cat, FWIW....

I bought my girlfriend an I O'Neill 2pc wetsuits for certification. The farmer john/jane style you explained. I really liked the wetsuit. It was very comfortable. But I guess that's irrelevant (sorry, it's late :D)

Anway, my girlfriend told me she loves her wetsuit (I'm on the phone w/her now). She has long legs and a short torso (after reading your description I'd say both yours and her body shape are very similar). It maybe came teeny bit high in the ankles, but nothing that couldn't be compensated for by boots. Ours was the 3mm/3mm style, but O'Neill makes an identical one in 7mm.

Hope this helps :)

Dr. Jay once bubbled...
Hey cat, FWIW....
I bought my girlfriend an I O'Neill 2pc wetsuits for certification. The farmer john/jane style you explained. I really liked the wetsuit. It was very comfortable. But I guess that's irrelevant (sorry, it's late :D)
Ok. I won't assume that you know it's comfortable 'cause you tried it on, then (no cross-dressing allowed for men in in SCUBA :), except the pantyhose trick)

Anway, my girlfriend told me she loves her wetsuit (I'm on the phone w/her now). She has long legs and a short torso (after reading your description I'd say both yours and her body shape are very similar). (snip)
Hope this helps :) [/B]
It sure does. One of the LDS's in town is an O'Neill dealer, so now I know to start there (I'll have to sneak in - it's across the roads from the one I took my OW through :) ). I'm replying to this as an open post instead of a PM so that other tall/short females can see it in future - thanks! And please thank your gf for me, too. cat

I don't know about oneils, but one option is to try otter bay wetsuits. They do custom builds, but can be pretty pricy depending on the customization wanted.

the other option is to look at henderson. my lds can sell a xs bottom with a xl top, or whatever you want. They do sell alot so they probably have some pull on seperates, but it never hurts to ask.

I'm only 5'9", but I had a hard time finding a wetsuit that was long enough in the legs. I tried several before finding one that fits - Oneill women's tall sizes. I've had my 3mm for about 30 dives and love the fit. I just got a 1mm too (I get cold easily) to wear under the 3mm when I need the warmth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom