• Oceanic Delta3/PX3

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Oceanic Zeta/PX2

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • It doesn't matter just get whatever comes in the ScubaToys package deal

Votes: 15 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Has anyone else seen this freezing issue in 50 degree water? That's got me a bit rattled now on the ScubaPro MK25/S600. I thought it was a non-issue in the areas I dive.

I doubt a Mk25 will freeze above 50 degrees. daaquamaster can speak more directly on this, I've seen him post on these regs before.

In any case, keep in mind (just to make things even easier for you :D ) that you can mix & match Scubapro 1st & 2nd stages. So you can get a Mk16 with R190, or R390, or S600, or G250. Or you can get a Mk25 with G260 or S600 or the newer 650, or pretty much whatever combo you want.

As to the freezing issue with the MK25's - the last couple of winters the water temps got down around 45 F. here - never a problem. I dove the reg for several days last year in Port Hardy BC where the air temps were well below 30 F. While I didn't breath the reg on the surface - I had no problem. The concern isn't with the first stage freezing, but with the second stage. This doesn't mean you won't, but in normal diving conditions for most rec diving, I would be careful about making mountains out of mole hills.

Get in touch with DA Aquamaster. I think he'll be able to set you straight.

This is where I see em freeze...

http://www.mermetsprings.com/conditions05.htm

Nice little quarry. Pretty much every weekend I'm there, Somebody freezes one. Especially if they go deep. Usually the 50ft thermocline is around 55 degrees... It's where the plane is... And I've seen them freeze there. But, usually it's in the deep end. Seen em freeze at 85ft.... MK20 and MK25 and MK25AF..

I've seen a lot of students in AOW class with new MK25's. Get to 85 feet and freeze they do. And, I thought it was in the 1st stage. NOT the second stage. Ice get's caught around the Piston. And won't let it move.

Shut off the tank valve at depth. Shake you're upper body around to get some water around the firststage to thaw the ice. And slowly turn on the valve. Usually it will work. But, for a new diver. That's a little stressfull....

Like I said. If you are breathing normal. And not stressed. Like in a OOA with another diver. You're fine. Problem comes up when you are stressed and breathing very heavy. And if you have an OOA diver that is stressed breathing off your reg. To get you to the surface. You'll be stressed as well as them. Especially if you're a new diver.... When the reg your breathing off of freezes up when you're already stressed out. That in my mind is a problem.

Saying it doesn't happen. Well, I've seen it regularly...

Like I said. I have ScubaPro and use them alot on Stage bottles. Used to dive them in Carribean a lot. I even dove them Ice Diving.. They were what I first bought and I used to sell them on the net. So I had pretty much any reg I wanted... Great regs. And I've never had one freeze... But, I've seen them freeze. A lot... And that is why ScubaPro keeps trying to fix it...

Don't know about Atomics. Zeagle I hear great things about. I even heard of some problems with MK16 ScubaPro's. But I can't remember what. I like MK20 and MK25 for stage bottles. More then Apeks... But, not for you're regular backgas tanks...

YMMV.... Just my experience...

To put it simply, the Zeagle DSV first stage and ZX second stage is the way to go for environmentally sealed regs. Apeks is also great. I have both and dive them at Mermet in cold water with no issues.

All my regs (rec and tec) are Apeks. Down to 37f I haven't had any problems with freezing.

One of the charters I was on last year, of all the divers on the boat, most were diving Apeks. The one diver with Scuba-Pro had a freeflow at 65'. Bottom temp was 43f. Sorry.......don't know what model it was.

Based on the great deal that ScubaToys is giving me, being made in the US and all the good recommendations it has received here, I think I am going to go with the Zeagle ZX Flathead VI at this point. Thanks for all the good advice, I really appreciate it!

" am only going to be doing local Texas dives and the occasional trip to Cozumel or similar locations."

Given this, I have to say that I really like the rig I ended up with--Oceanic Alpha 7 with the SP4 first stage. I've had it down to 40 meters without noticeable decline in breathing performance. Gets great independent reviews.

And you can get two of 'em for the price of a high end reg set.

I spoke too soon. Well I went to ScubaToys today and spoke at length with Joe this time. Larry, Joe, they are all just the coolest bunch of guys up there. I can't get over how nice and helpful they are. Anyway, I told Joe I was was coming in to buy gear on Saturday and he said he would line up three tanks and let me compare the:

Zeagle ZX Flathead VI
Scuba Pro MK25/S600
Oceanic Delta 3 TDX5 Titanium (I think)

And based on that I will decide which to go with. I asked him about the freezing thing and he thought it was a non-issue in the water I dive in.

Back
Top Bottom