• Oceanic Delta3/PX3

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Oceanic Zeta/PX2

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • It doesn't matter just get whatever comes in the ScubaToys package deal

Votes: 15 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirthead:
(clip)...The first reg set I bought was a Flathead XP with Envoy Octo from ScubaToys. The second set was a ScubaPro Mk25/S600 from my LDS. I used the ScubaPro for my pool dives and first day of OW dives, and the Zeagle on the second day of OW dives. I could not tell the difference in breathing performance between the two regs. Inhalation effort was excellent with both, breathing was effortless. The S600 second stage is a little more comfortable in my mouth than the Zeagle ZX. The swivel fitting on the second stage hose moves more freely on the S600 than the ZX second, which helps keep the second stage sitting squarely in your mouth more easily. I like the hose routing and general layout of the Zeagle first stage better. It sits lower on the tank than the Mk25, so you don't hit your head on it quite as easily.

After using both, the ScubaPro will be my number one choice, because of the comfort difference of the second stage.
Jarrett

I bought the "Everything is Special Zeagle" Package from Scuba Toys and could not be happier with my purchase. Larry is extremely helpful and willing to make changes to the package to fit your needs. For example, my wife really wanted the Zeagle Zena BCD instead of the Brigade, so I called Larry and no problem it was done.

My suggestion would be to go with the standard reg in that package. It is an excellent performing and very durable package. But because of diving the colder winter waters here in So. California, I did decide to upgrade the the Flathead VI.

As for dirtheads comment about the swivel fitting on the ScubaPro; If this is something that you think that you may want, It can be added to almost any second stage on the market. In fact, I have one on mine.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

You can also call Larry and ScubaToys as he will definately be able to help you choose the right regs for you and your daughter. And like I said before, he is extremely helpful and fair, and will not try to sell you the most expensive regs in his shop if they are not going to fit YOUR needs.

Parrothead

Scott, Looking good. You should be proud.

Don

Thanks a bunch for all the good info so far. Especially the head to head review of the Zeagle and Scuba Pro.

I've been in ScubaToys a couple of times now and have spoken at length with Larry about all the various equipment. With BCs, computers, etc. it's been fairly easy to boil it down to a couple of choices on his advice, or one choice in the case of the Zeagle BC :) But with regulators, he walked me through the whole gamut of them and pointed out all the differences and was extremely helpful in informing me about them. Unfortunately, I guess it didn't all sink in and help me drive down to a couple of choices. Basically, they all sound good.

I did get a chance to breathe on a couple of them including the Zeagle's and an Oceanic Zeta. The only thing I knew to go by there was ease of air delivery and the Zeta won in that category as it just force feeds you the air it seems. But I don't see a lot of favorable reviews of the Zeta around these parts though. If I remember correctly, Larry said it was a different design from all the other regs though. Don't know if that equates to better or worse. Unfortunately, I was out of time and didn't get to breathe on the higher end stuff like the ScubaPro and Atomic. Hopefully, next time I will have more time to do that.

At another LDS, I spoke with the tech that services the regs and he was 100% ScubaPro based on quality and service agreements. He also liked Atomic, but said their service agreement was not as good. The Oceanic Delta3 was another he liked, but had only bad things to say about the Zeta.

The one thing I am starting to see everyone that I talk to agree on is the ScubaPro Mk25/S600 is a good setup. And lots of folks saying similar things about the Atomic. At this point I am leaning that direction unless money becomes an issue when we finally add up all the other parts and I have to look at areas where to reduce costs.

I personally am a big Scubapro fan, I've been diving the same Mk 5 regulator since 1978. Parts are still available, no problem to get annual service.

The 25/600 combo is pretty much top end for SP. Never used one, but too much has been written about them. They're solid, great performers.

Zeagle has only recently come to my attention, but it's almost 100% positive. They're American made, and clearly they perfrom or those guys wouldn't have used them to hunt giant fish 425 feet down :D

Oceanic makes good products, but I'm not up on their regs to be able to discuss strengths/weaknesses of specific models.

I don't think you have a bad one on your list.

Jarrett:
I did get a chance to breathe on a couple of them including the Zeagle's and an Oceanic Zeta. The only thing I knew to go by there was ease of air delivery and the Zeta won in that category as it just force feeds you the air it seems. But I don't see

One thing I'd point out is that unless it's a really cruddy reg, breathing on them at the surface is a waste of time. You've got to dive with them, and don't assume at 10 feet that's how it's going to do at 100 feet. Take them on a real dive and see how it goes, see if you can rent them and you'll be happier knowing it works as you wish.

That said, I think any of the regs on your list are nice, I'd be looking towards Zeagle myself based on what you said you'd be doing with it.

Your other considerations are, service and turn a round time. Then consider where you dive, if something goes wrong can you get it worked on there or rent a reg so you don't waste your vacation?

That's a good point. I would assume ScubaPro is the easiest to get repaired at foreign dive spots? Zeagle's being fairly new might not? But I guess a rental would work in that case.

Based on the pole results at this point in time I would say what people are saying is "don't skimp on the regulator."

The most expensive are getting the most votes.

When you get into the high-end manufuactuers such as Atomic, ScubaPro, Zeagle, Apeks and some others you don't need to worry about quality in the slightest. They are all great.

So choosing the brand is the task at hand. Choose based on its name, its color, the logo, the LDS that sells it. Doesn't really matter too much.

Once you've chosen one of those brands, choosing the particular model is where I would put a little thought and remember, you always get what you pay for.

My brand loyality is with Atomic.

I'm a big Scubapro fan. I'd say, don;t bother with the MK25, especially considering nitrox... the MK16 is fine. Also, you might want to take a look at the X650 second stage... that's an update of what I use, and I love it. And, just for kicks, look at the AIR2 octy... nothing like gettin' rid of hoses!! :)

T1 is an awesome bit of kit. I've had Scubapro, Apeks ATX 200 but the T1 Atomic is a different class. There is no issue up to 40% and I've used them at depth on air at 200 feet (yeah i know but it was truk lagoon) and on trimix even deeper and they breathe they same everywhere. I know they are expensive but if I'd bought them first I would'nt have needed the rest.

Stay safe

Back
Top Bottom