• Oceanic Delta3/PX3

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Oceanic Zeta/PX2

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • It doesn't matter just get whatever comes in the ScubaToys package deal

Votes: 15 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wayward Son:
The other concern on titanium regs is nitrox. Mostly, from what I've read you shouldn't use them with nitrox. I think they cna be used with under 40%, but that even with lower percentages there is a bit of a risk factor.

For me, that takes them off the table before I even look at a price tag. I find nitrox too usefull in recreational diving to buy gear that might be unusable with nitrox.
There was one incident with a titanium reg. Can't remember what the percentage was, but I believe it was something like 70%.

I've been using a MK25T/S600T as a primary for two years now going up to 40% and not once has it caught on fire. I dive exclusivly nitrox and last year had over 250 dives and this year I'm pushing 200 to date. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are using for 40% or less.

Frankly I don't know that the titanium is worth the extra money and that would be the consideration for me. Since I own a total of 5 MK25/S600's and only one is titanium, you can see where I spend my $$.

Another vote here for the Scubapro MK25/G250. The hose routing (for single tank diving) is great. I also use a MK20/S600 and an Apeks FSR/ATX200—IMHO, MK25/G250 is the best deal for recreational diving.

maybe you can add the apeks line to your choices:)

I vote for Zeagle. However, whichever reg you choose, make sure it is environmentally sealed. Salt water will have less affect on it's operating parts and in freshwater debris can't get in. Also, cold water will not be a problem which is common below the thermocline in freshwater, at least it is here in MO.

If your EVER going to dive cold water... Go with a Sealed Diaphram reg. Apeks or Zeagle or ScubaPro MK16...

I have Apeks DS4's TX100, ScubaPro MK20 and MK25 with 250, 500, 600. Never had a problem with freeze on ANY of them. But, I've seen a lot of freezing at the quarry from others. On the ScubaPro MK20 and MK25... Usually deep. Where it's cold and you don't want it to freeze... If you're stressed out and breathing heavy. And the firststage is flowing a lot of air. Good chance it would freeze... Which since you're already stressed out, it's exactly what you don't want to happen...

And cold water is anything in the 59 or below...

So the Mk25/S600 is NOT sealed and can freeze at temps lower than 59 degrees? That does seem like an issue. Is this an issue on the Atomic B2 as well? But not the Zeagle's?

The only store I know of that carries Apeks is a good drive away from me. I rarely have time to get down there. I think I would prefer working with an LDS closer to home.

The Zeagles are perfectly fine. If you are really stuck on ScubaPro, they are coming out with an environmentally sealed first stage "real soon now". The MK-18 is supposed to be some sort of sealed piston/diaphram design, I have no idea how that would even work (?), or if thats even possible, maybe DA Aquamaster could enlighten us. :) Here's a link to a English language Italian website that is selling these in Europe: http://www.scubamarket.com/eng/ersb0004.php

BTW, if Scubatoys was that close to me I wouldn't mess with any other LDS. My two cents.

StSomewhere:
If you are really stuck on ScubaPro, they are coming out with an environmentally sealed first stage "real soon now".

That would be the MK17—I can’t find any information on a “MK18” on any official Scubapro sites; is it a different 1st stage?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom