• Oceanic Delta3/PX3

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • Oceanic Zeta/PX2

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • It doesn't matter just get whatever comes in the ScubaToys package deal

Votes: 15 12.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jarrett

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm new to the sport and just got my OW cert as did my daughter. I am in the process of gear buying and have almost everything picked out except the regulators for each of us. I am only going to be doing local Texas dives and the occasional trip to Cozumel or similar locations. I am thinking I doubt I will dive much in the winter, but I guess it might be possible. I don't think the water really gets much under 50 degrees here if I am reading correctly.

I have a few that have been recommended to me by the various LDS's and thought I'd throw up a poll to see what the board recommended. Plus I just wanted to try my hand at doing a poll :) I'm torn between, "Ah just buy the best and forget about even if it's way overkill" and "Just spend a little as needed to get just the required features." I'd love to hear your thoughts on what to get. Also, what the general consensus is about buying for your child as in whether to go all out or just spend the minimum. Thanks in advance!

If your daughter is going to stick with it, well, the reg is one thing she won't outgrow. Buy a good reg. Not necessarily the most expensive one in the world, but certainly not the cheapest thing you can find.

Damselfish:
If your daughter is going to stick with it, well, the reg is one thing she won't outgrow. Buy a good reg. Not necessarily the most expensive one in the world, but certainly not the cheapest thing you can find.

Thanks for the feedback. That's kinda what I was thinking. I don't know her long term intentions of course, but right now, she is really into it. I'm capping our (primary) reg budget off in the $500-600 range a piece with the SP Mk25/S600 and Atomic B2 being the top picks. Those seem to be considered the best among that group before exploding into the Titanium dollar range. I keep getting hung up on wanting to buy the very best equipment I can for her in the hopes it will provide added safety for her when it counts.

Don't buy her anything you wouldn't want to use yourself and that should cover it. :wink:

I don't think you'll find many people who think titanium regs are worth the money, or even better for that matter.

Wayward Son:
You might add the Zeagle Envoy or Envoy Deluxe to your list.

Are they comparable to the other Zeagle's listed? I added those Zeagle models because they are included with a ScubaToys BC/Reg package deal ("Everything is Special") that looks pretty good to me. I am trying to decide to just stick with that package or spend the extra bucks to get what seems to be the better regs on the market.

The other concern on titanium regs is nitrox. Mostly, from what I've read you shouldn't use them with nitrox. I think they cna be used with under 40%, but that even with lower percentages there is a bit of a risk factor.

For me, that takes them off the table before I even look at a price tag. I find nitrox too usefull in recreational diving to buy gear that might be unusable with nitrox.

I have heard a LOT of high praise for the Envoys. No personal experience, but the basic claim is that they are a lot of regulator for the money.

If I were shopping for a reg right now I would at least give them a serious look. Might be worth asking Larry?

I just finished my OW certification dives this weekend. Since my wife will be getting certified soon, I jumped the gun and got 2 reg sets. I was torn between the ScubaPro Mk25/S600, Apeks ATX200, Atomic B2, and Zeagle Flathead VI when I first started purchasing gear. The first reg set I bought was a Flathead XP with Envoy Octo from ScubaToys. The second set was a ScubaPro Mk25/S600 from my LDS. I used the ScubaPro for my pool dives and first day of OW dives, and the Zeagle on the second day of OW dives. I could not tell the difference in breathing performance between the two regs. Inhalation effort was excellent with both, breathing was effortless. The S600 second stage is a little more comfortable in my mouth than the Zeagle ZX. The swivel fitting on the second stage hose moves more freely on the S600 than the ZX second, which helps keep the second stage sitting squarely in your mouth more easily. I like the hose routing and general layout of the Zeagle first stage better. It sits lower on the tank than the Mk25, so you don't hit your head on it quite as easily.

After using both, the ScubaPro will be my number one choice, because of the comfort difference of the second stage.

You may want to consider the scubapro MK25/G250 as well. More time tested than the 600 and for what you will be doing i think it is a good choice. It is a bit cheaper than the 600 as well. I have one and it is great. I feel that money up front for the good gear (especially regs) will benefit you in the long run. Good luck with the hunt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom