Yet another reg comparo question - Legend vs ScubaPros

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been diving my Aqualung Legend LX for a while now and absolutely LOVE it. Since just recently banding up my 100s, I've purcashed a MK17/R395 combo for the left post (backup). Today I dove the MK17/R395 on the right (primary) for about 3 hours, just to make a comparison. Switching back to the Legend, the differenct was night and day!

The Legend breathes much drier, much easier and much smoother than the R395. But compared to the MK17, the routing ain't so crash hot. So if I delegate my Legend to my single tank kit, and the ScubaPro to my doubles, what second stage will get me similar breathing performance to the Legend?

Suggestions from a few divers in my club (esp. those cave cert) are to stick with R395 on both posts - common equipment, easy field maintenance, yudda yudda). But after spending that time on it today, I'm tempted to go S555, S600 or X650. But how far up the line do I go to get close to the Legend?

Anyone got any opinions?

I am currently diving the MK17, and the difference between the unbalanced seconds and the balanced seconds is amazing, I would reccomend the S600, or spend a little less and get the G250HP. Actually, Scubapro will be replacing the G250HP with the G250V (metal air barrel, like the original 250), although the MK17 is only packaged with the 555 and the 650, your dealer can order them together. If you plan to go to any GUE courses in the future, the X650 is a definite no-go. It is impossible to open up underwater, and many people are wary of it because of its recall history.

The S600 and the G250HP are the same: different sized case. The S555 is essentially an un-adjustable S600, and thus, is cheaper

Actually the purge cover just pops off the X650 and then you screw off the retainer for the diaphragm. No big deal even underwater.

Although I have to say, unless you are in a no flow cave with a hard and silt free bottom (somewhat contradictory), you never want to find yourself doing reg disassembly in the water. In my opinion, the "cover removable without tools" is absolutely the dumbest reg selection criteria imaginable.

Either the S600 or G250 would make a good regulator choice on the Mk 17. The Legend LX second stage uses what appears to be a hybrid of the old and new Scubapro poppet designs and fucntionally speaking it looks a lot liek a G250/S600 knockoff.

In short, if you go with the balanced G250 or S600 second stages, you will be very happy with the performance. Comparing an unbalanced R395 to a balanced second stage is not really a fair comparision.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not necessarily comparing the balanced and unbalanced directly - I knew there was going to be a difference, but I seriously didn't think it would be that big! It's like comparing a dusty old piece of chalk that's been sitting in the dust on the classroom floor for two years to the finest aged brie served with crackers and a glass of smooth wine.

Having said all that, the cost difference of the S555 to S600 is AU$225. According to the literature, the only difference is the adjustable cracking pressure. On my Legend, it pretty much stays at fully open all the time. Is it really worth it the price difference? I guess only I can make that decision for myself..

froop:
Having said all that, the cost difference of the S555 to S600 is AU$225. According to the literature, the only difference is the adjustable cracking pressure. On my Legend, it pretty much stays at fully open all the time. Is it really worth it the price difference? I guess only I can make that decision for myself..

Have you look into G250hp? It is priced pretty close to S555 here in my market.

I personally prefer the larger second stage for the primary reg. Anyway, if you haven't, its certainly a good alternative you would want to look into.

The G250HP and S600 are identical internally, the G250HP just has a larger case and a larger diaphragm, and the larger diaphragm is a good thing to have as it provides more mechanical advantage.

The G250HP is also substantially less expensive than the S600.

The legend is - according a test of a european diving magazin - the regulator with the very lowest breathing resistance of all...

So you won´t find a similar performance but the combo X650 / MK 17 is coming near to it...

StefChri:
The legend is - according a test of a european diving magazin - the regulator with the very lowest breathing resistance of all...

So you won´t find a similar performance but the combo X650 / MK 17 is coming near to it...
Magazine tests are generally speaking not worth the paper they are printed on.

Most are more subjective than anything else and there is little or no control over the preparation of the test regulators or the test conditions. A well tuned regulator with a poorly breathing overall design can breathe better than a poorly tuned but generally better breathing design in a given test. That however won't mean the better tuned regulator performaning at it's peak is a better regulator than another poorly tuned reg perfroming at far less than it's potential.

The Legend is a great reg but it's not the best breathing regulator out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom