Yet Another Pony Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sasquatch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
In most threads I've researched on the use, choice, size, deployment, dive style, necessity, philosophy and mounting of a bailout bottle I haven't seen this question adequately addressed.

For those that mount their bailout tanks to their main tank I've noticed that some mount them upright to the right of the primary, some upside down to the right of the primary and others upside down to the left of the primary. In most threads these configurations are mentioned casually and what I'd really like to know is whether you have a reason for your preference.

Why do you mount it the way you do?

If upside down is because you can reach the valve, I dive with both valves full open. Are there other viable reasons?

Mine is upside down on the left of the main tank. Reasons: (1) I can reach the valve as you suspected and (2) on that side my pony reg hose comes up on the other side of my chest which is where I prefer it since my second and octo are on the right side.

My pony is mounted right way up on my main tank on my left side. I leave my pony on all the time so the position of the valve is not so critical. I mount it like this as it allows easy under-the-left-arm routing to my octopus holder which is mounted on my left side shoulder D-ring. My octopus from my main tank is mounted on my right side shoulder D-ring.

Grey_Wulff

So, Dr Bill you are a 3 reg man I see.

Thank you both for your input! I'm a little surprised that after 10.5 hours this has received but 2 responses but what the hell?

I got entangled by the first stage of my pony a couple of days ago and was wondering if I might have avoided that had the tank been mounted upside down...

I'll post more on Near Misses & Lessons Learned when I feel I can talk about it.

Sea ya!

I am a little odd in that I have both my pony and argon bottles upside down. Air pony on right side of tank hose under arm and attached to octo clip. Argon on left, hose routed to dry suit. I dive with a Air Source so if someone grabbed my yellow octo they would actually be on my pony. I would then offer them my primary 2nd stage a abort dive. This set up seems to work well for me in hundreds of dives. Yes the valves down so I can turn them on or off as needed. Even though I check my valves before going in you never know what will happen. Just my 2 cents worth.

IF I mount my pony on my tank its on the left side. Why? it just is. Is the way I did it to start with and I see no reason to change. Its mounted valve down and easy to turn on if needed. I leave it off when not in use.
I use a SS1 and find that it is perfectly suited to using a pony as I have not got 3 2nd stages.
In fact I think everyone who has a pony should use a SS1/ air 2. No forget that they MUST use a SS1 or else they are just plain crazy and shoundnt be diving at all!!
Umm err too many burbons. must go to bed.

Upside down, right side for the 20 cf, the 6 cf gets hung left side waist with a clip, all so the valves can be easily reached for when they grab ahold of something & start practicing their macrame.
Sometimes I'll wear a short stubby crossways at my waist when going hookah, valve on the right.

Sasquatch:
I got entangled by the first stage of my pony a couple of days ago and was wondering if I might have avoided that had the tank been mounted upside down...

I sling bottles to avoid these kinds of situations with the hose properly stowed. Yes, it is a tech solution, but it works.

Right side, quickdraw bracket, valve up to protect the valve, guage and second stage during donning/doffing. 3 reg config, main-xs2-pony octo. Gives me the option to pull the pin and drop the tank should my panicing buddy decide to bolt for the sky from 100 ft down. It only takes once to learn this lesson....

IF I had a pony (I don't)

I THINK I would want it upside down. This way you can turn slightly to bubble check, and I think I would keep the valve off until needed.

I have heard it said some people bleed the valve at depth intervals to avoid blowing a burst disc. I want to know more about that, I have some questions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom