Yet another Lasik thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xSandman3

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I had lasik done 3 1/2 weeks ago, and am dying to get wet! My Dr. says he'll give me the ok after my next appointment (11/5). For anyone considering this surgery, I highly recommend it. I went from 20/100 to 20/10 overnight, with no negative affects at all. Can't wait to dive without contacts...12 days to go!

Wow, down to 20/10! Now you have eagle eyes. Did you need any of the extra options, or was it standard lasik?

That sounds great!!! congrats on the incredible success. I've been contemplating it for quite a few years, but will have to wait for another option to come around.

Let us know how the first dive goes, it will probably be amazing!!!

archman:
Wow, down to 20/10! Now you have eagle eyes. Did you need any of the extra options, or was it standard lasik?
Just had the standard lasik. They tried guilting me into spending twice as much on the wavefront thing, but it was just way too much.

xSandman3:
Just had the standard lasik. They tried guilting me into spending twice as much on the wavefront thing, but it was just way too much.

Whoa... they advised wavefront, but STILL got you down to 20/10?? What'd they do, quote better odds or something?

How about the corneal treatment, was it with the cold steel or those new fancy lasers?

archman:
Whoa... they advised wavefront, but STILL got you down to 20/10?? What'd they do, quote better odds or something?

How about the corneal treatment, was it with the cold steel or those new fancy lasers?
They said I was a candidate for both, but said the wavefront has a 25% better result on average (x-ray vision, I guess).

Actually, I don't know if he used a knife or not. They create a vacuum and it fades to black right before they make the flap. The whole thing takes less than 30 seconds for each eye, and hurts like all hell the rest of that day...kinda like someone stuck a hot laser in your eye...go figure. The only thing no one ever mentioned before was the smell of burning flesh, that was a bit of a surprise.

xSandman3:
I had lasik done 3 1/2 weeks ago, and am dying to get wet! My Dr. says he'll give me the ok after my next appointment (11/5). For anyone considering this surgery, I highly recommend it. I went from 20/100 to 20/10 overnight, with no negative affects at all. Can't wait to dive without contacts...12 days to go!

Please keep us posted on the net effects. I too am tempted. Getting old sucks, I've spent the last month try to adjust to "progressive" bifocals.

Looking at lasik myself, but planning the recovery for depth of winter, not when the local waters are 65-68 F :D

Tobin

Finally had the opportunity to dive with my new eyes! Went to Fisherman's Cove in Laguna Beach. Total dive time was 37 minutes, with a max depth of 33'. Had no problems at all with the eyes. I used to get a bit of a squeeze from contacts, so that didn't happen. I am still stunned at the results, just wish I had done it earlier.

xSandman3:
Finally had the opportunity to dive with my new eyes! Went to Fisherman's Cove in Laguna Beach. Total dive time was 37 minutes, with a max depth of 33'. Had no problems at all with the eyes. I used to get a bit of a squeeze from contacts, so that didn't happen. I am still stunned at the results, just wish I had done it earlier.

Hey X,

Thanks for the update. Glad to hear the remodeled Orb's are working.

Tobin

I just had Lasik done last week (Thursday) and have had no problems at all. Not even pain - although I felt like I had sand in my eyes for the rest of the afternoon. My doctor advised 10 days for swimming/diving. I'm down to 20/20 the day after. Follow-up appointment at 1 month & they say it usually gets better. Love it! I can see the alarm clock in the morning :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom