Yet another Introduction.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vodrzk

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
Recently just found this website. I've been diving for a few years now, although entirely in tropical waters. :pirate6: I've had all of my certifications done in Freeport, Bahamas - although I've done diving in Mexico as well.
I've yet to venture into the cold waters of Massachusetts - and I'd love to dive locally. It's a real shame to only dive on vacations, as it's probably my favorite activity in the world to do.
My questions are - what are the good local areas to dive? Any good wrecks, or wildlife hot spots? What do you enjoy most about diving in New England?

Thanks! Glad to join.
-Kat

My questions are - what are the good local areas to dive? Any good wrecks, or wildlife hot spots? What do you enjoy most about diving in New England?

Thanks! Glad to join.
-Kat

Great to have you here, Kat!

Cape Ann has quite a few easily accessed shore dive sites.

Here's a good listing on Cape Ann Divers website:

Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div

You've also got some good charters right in Boston that take divers to some interesting sites.

Wildlife is everywhere, although you may have to look a little harder to find it than in the tropics. :wink:

Although it's a 250-mile round trip for me, I find Cape Ann well worth the trip, since I get to meet interesting people, see interesting marine life and even bring home some flounder fillets on occasion! :D

It's cold water though, so I dive in a drysuit. I'm not sure I'd enjoy coldwater diving half as much in a wetsuit, but a lot of people do. It might be worth your while to rent some coldwater gear and see for yourself! :)

Again, welcome!

Dave C

It's sort of the end of season for most folks as water temps drop significantly and don't warm up until late spring/early summer. You'll be in for quite a shock if you go in now. You really need to get used to diving with a thicker wetsuit. (will need a lot more weight) The water is warmer further south in Rhode Island. You'll be amazed at what there is to see up here. I never get bored. You need to start with some of the cooler sites here. Nubble Light in York, ME and Folly Cove, Old Garden beach in Cape Ann. You'll find plenty of folks here that will always be going out and willing to show you the sites. You should consider some of the various dive clubs too like the New England Aquarium dive club.

Most folks don't get cold in the water. it's topside when you're out a lot of folks get cold in between dives. As long as sun is out and no wind, most folks are ok diving this time of year.

Also, don't expect great visibility like the warmer waters. The diving's best after a few days of calm seas. You'll be pleasantly surprised.

Wait till you see your first torpedo ray or Sea Anenome (sp?) Oh, there are plenty of things called lobsters that I hear are great eating..

New England diving is a lot of fun and generally the visibility is not all that bad. You won't see the long distances of warm water sites but with 10-20 feet you have enough to easily keep tabs on a good buddy and enjoy the sites immediately around you.

We have over a dozen sites here in southern Maine including the often mentioned Nubble light site in York.

The water still has a ways to go before it's at it's coldest but it's probably not a great time for doing a cold water orientation unless you throw in a drysuit but if you're hardy it's doable. Without a doubt the surface time, especially changing apres dive is the toughest. If you're a mind over matter type of person it's just a state of mind. Diving in heavy rubber with gloves and a hood takes a little but of adaptation but after a few dives it's all old hat. The nicest water is enjoyed from mid July through September.

Once you are up to speed on cold water diving your warm water diving will seem very easy. If you find yourself heading to southern Maine at some point PM me and maybe we can find a site to enjoy.

Pete

Thanks so much for the awesome welcome! :D

I think I will probably hunker down for the winter and do some local diving when spring/summer hits. While I don't generally get cold easy, I do know the 'joys' of that boat interval.

I just found a website on the U-853 wreck... Intense. I love wreck dives - history at its finest if you ask me.

Thanks again - I'm looking forward to diving in the area now.

Welcome Kat

One thing I have been wanting to do is a seal dive, I think that would be cool.
People do spearfish around here but there's good eating that you can just get with your hands -lobsters aka bugs, crabs, scallops and even flounder - my wife has better luck catching the flounder than I do but she makes it look easy.

Just scan the forum, prolly relatively recent posts covering all your questions about the area.

:D

I dive wet as long as the topside weather is OK for changing (low 40's and no wind, mid 40's with wind). Was able to dive through mid December last year and then start up again in late March. Just did the U-853 for the first time Sept 30 and can highly recommend it. Lot's of wrecks up in this area that are easily accessible by boat so you should have fun -- the Polling is one of the most popular in the Cape Ann area. Welcome to the board and diving in New England.

Kat,

Welcome! Definitely get a number of New England dives under your belt before doing the U853. I did it 2 summers ago and although it was a mind blowing dive, it was for me the outer limits of what I am comfortable with--100+ feet in New England feels a lot deeper than 100 Ft in tropical water. That being said, I love the diving up here--it is so amazingly diverse and there are cool things to see all times of the year. I think Sept/early Oct is the best time in terms of diversity of critters--squids, cod, skates, stripers, pipefish, atlantic puffers (rare but we see them at Old Garden) --LOTS more stuff than you would think. Definitely give it a try!:D

Thanks again for all the advice - I will definitely get a few New England dives under my belt before I go at the U-853. I've been spoiled by diving in the tropics - nice, easy, warm clear water. But I can't wait to see the wrecks off the coast here - there's so much better history in New England. I think I'll hold off until May/June. I'd hate for my first experience diving local to involve me freezing my *** on a boat. :p

Again, thanks for all the warm (no pun intended) welcome! Now I can't wait to take a swing at the diving up here. :)

Thanks again for all the advice - I will definitely get a few New England dives under my belt before I go at the U-853. I've been spoiled by diving in the tropics - nice, easy, warm clear water. But I can't wait to see the wrecks off the coast here - there's so much better history in New England. I think I'll hold off until May/June. I'd hate for my first experience diving local to involve me freezing my *** on a boat. :p

Again, thanks for all the warm (no pun intended) welcome! Now I can't wait to take a swing at the diving up here. :)

Well, you can do some internet diving with these websites:

ShoreDiving.com - Your Shore Diving and Snorkeling Web Community!
Boston Harbor Diving Company
Welcome to PG Dive. Snorkel and Scuba Outfitters. Private Scuba Instruction, PADI classes, Boston Scuba, Newton, Scuba Equipment
Welcome to Southshore Divers
Northern Atlantic Dive Expeditions - Wreck Diving, Technical Diving, Deep Exploration
New England Aquarium Dive Club
Welcome To Mass Bay Divers
MetroWest Dive Club

LobstaMan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom