Yearly computer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dnaber

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How many of you actually send your computers in for the yearly service? I'm in the process of purchasing an new Oceanic and on the web site their fee for the yearly service is like $160.00. That seems a bit high.......

Depending on the computer model, while that is the price if you computer requires "service", don't interpret that to mean "annual service" as in the case of regulators. No one pays annually for that kind of service. More typically they might pay to have the battery and o-ring changed out, but would only send it in to Oceanic for "service" if they were having an issue with the computer.

Your were correct. It was for a repair service charge. Now, with that corrected what do most pay for an annual service?

Your were correct. It was for a repair service charge. Now, with that corrected what do most pay for an annual service?

$0, aside from a battery every ~100 dives.

(I don't send it in to get serviced). Maybe I would send it in for repair/replacement ....

BRad

Zero. I wouldn't own a dive computer where I couldn't change the battery myself.

$0, I wouldn't ever buy a computer that has to be sent in for battery changes, and it shouldn't require any service unless a sensor goes bad.

Which computer are you looking at and why?

The computer in question is the Oceanic Pro Plus 3. According to the warranty it has to have it's annual service in order to keep its warranty good. Now it does have the ability for the user to change the battery. it is only a 2 year warranty so I'm thinking I need to take it back to Diver Suppy at the one year point have them change the battery and sign off on the service card ($9.00 + the battery kit) and then after that I would do the battery change myself. Does this sound right?

Service for that is probably to calibrate the pressure sensor since it is a QR fitting. Frankly that computer is a colossal waste of money, but if you've already purchased it, it is a bit too late.

You'd be far better off with a wrist computer that does average depth and has gauge mode and a cheap plain SPG. You're talking about spending $680+tax on a computer, than another $160 in a year to keep it in warranty.

Cave Adventurers - Shearwater Petrel - OC/CC - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
same money, 2 year warranty, but Shearwater is known to A. not have anything go wrong ever, but B. fix damn near anything, most of the time for free, also is a better computer, and uses AA batteries. No AI, but has an integrated compass, actually has resale value if you decide to sell it, and is just overall a better company to support.
Personal opinion obviously, but if you're spending $800+ on a computer, you should probably not get one that is already obsolete, going to cost a lot to service and maintain, and has no resale value if you decide to go on with your diving. Take a long hard look at what you want to do diving wise and if that computer will fit your long term goals

if you're staying with Divers Supply, as they aren't a Shearwater dealer

http://www.divers-supply.com/scuba/computers/dive-rite-nitek-q-oc-nitrox-2-gas.html
they should price match the guys selling them for $499, not quite as nice as the Petrel, the buttons and screen aren't quite as good, but supporting a small Florida company, and it's a nice computer

Couple other watch styles that are nice for travel diving and what not since you can wear them for the whole trip as a watch and not worry about it getting lost/stolen and you have the dive profiles with you to download at lunch or whatever

Please explain why it is such a colossal waste of money. Be specific regarding the computer.

Unless of course you just see it necessary to push a Shearwater.

If he already owns the computer why do you find it necessary to tell him he bought junk? Unless of course you have a specific reason that the computer will not preform specific tasks he has purchased it for. In that case, what problems are there with the Oceanic computer other than your personal disdain for it?

I have personally changed the batteries in my Oceanic computers with no problem. I have taken them in to have the battery changed and that comes with a dip in the tank for a simulated dive. I think they charged me $20. For my recreational use my Oceanic computers have preformed flawlessly. I have had but one problem and that was of my own doing when the glass came out of my Datamask.

Unless Oceanic has changed their policy I don't believe the charge of $160 is in place.

Service for that is probably to calibrate the pressure sensor since it is a QR fitting. Frankly that computer is a colossal waste of money, but if you've already purchased it, it is a bit too late.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom