Yearly computer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use and like Oceanic's (I have a VEO 2.0 and a PP 2.1) but do not have them 'serviced'. When it flashes bat (like it did in Cozumel between the caleta and punta sur last month) I take a spare battery out of my 'save a dive' kit and replace it, rather quickly during the pre-dive brief.

I have nothing against Oceanic as a company, but if the computer is $680, and has a $160 fee to keep the warranty up for another year, then you're in for over $800 for a computer that isn't built to the same quality standards, doesn't have as many features, doesn't hold value, and because of that, it's not worth the amount of money they charge for it.

I posted another AUP computer, and would recommend a few of their watch models as well, they have very nice ones, but to have a computer that bulky just to have AI on a console style computer to me is a waste of money. Wrist computers are better, that's just a fact of life. Sure if you want AI you have the risk of sync loss, but if I were buying AI, I'd go to something like that before I got a console that enormous.

If I were in his shoes, and wanted AI, I would buy something like the Oceanic Atom without the transmitter, make sure you like the computer, dive with an SPG for a while, and if he feels like he really needs/wants AI for whatever reason, then grab a transmitter. Those little watch style computers are awesome little things, my beef is against big honking consoles because they tend not to last. The reviews on that specific computer are somewhat flaky, doesn't come with the USB cable, which is a $50 upgrade charge, or $90 separately, and is just extremely limiting.

AI Options

Hollis TXI $880, includes transmitter and USB cable, can be used as a dive computer if he travels and doesn't bring his regulator set, will be able to use for any more advanced diving he ends up doing, has multiple transmitter options if that means anything

Oceanic Atom 3.1 $900 with transmitter and USB cable. Same thing as above

Suunto Cobra3- $900, a bit bigger than normal SPG's, but includes digital compass

Mares Puck Air- $600 with USB cable, similar to above

Non AI
Shearwater Petrel-$820, now includes digital compass, bluetooth syncing to iPhones for dive logging, has recreational nitrox mode.

Nitek Q-$500, rechargeable battery, uses standard USB cables, digital compass

I know this is an older thread but I change the battery myself. Four small philips screws, a bit of silicone to grease the o-ring and Bob's your Uncle. I keep a spare CR2 battery and o-ring in my kit.

Back
Top Bottom