Yangtze River Dolphin extinct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I saw the same one. All kinds of rare critters out there in there little micro environments adapted to live just there and no where else. Maybe some toxic eating blind platapus looking thing will evolve to take there place?

Wildcard:
As is touting a letter to GWB about Darfur under a anti whaling adgenda.

I think the opportunity to express one's opinion is in as much danger as fresh water dolphins across the globe. I am informed enough to know rhetorical sleight of hand when I see it and this thread has been a victim. There is no need to resort to either personal attack or over generalizations to make your points, if you want to argue facts then argue facts. Do not denigrate people you don't agree with.

What makes me sad, is that you are unwilling to censor your own baiting and political agenda, even when you sensor others. And then you have the unmitigated gall to use the fact that someone else made a statement that you judged as "anti GWB" as a justification for foisting your own politics on the rest of us.

Another example of your double standard would be using your broad acusation of a "lie" regarding the legality of whaling as a justification for rejecting out of hand all groups that support respect for animals and enivironments while you spout off about anti GWB sentiment as a justification for your censorship. I guess by your standards I should reject anything to do with the american government, given that amazing lack of truthfulness regarding the presence or threat of WMD in Iraq.

You pretend to be a master rhetorician and totally informed font of knowledge when you really rely on tactics similar to those of the schoolyard bully.

A well informed bully. BTW, Your mixing others comments with mine. If some one wants support for something, you don't start by adding trailers for hidden adgendas which is what the original poster did then accused me of having my own adgenda. "The dolphins are gone, more critters will go if we dont clean up the world. And the pope must die! ".... This is the point Im making.

chasanova:
Another example of your double standard would be using your broad acusation of a "lie" regarding the legality of whaling as a justification for rejecting out of hand all groups that support respect for animals and enivironments while you spout off about anti GWB sentiment as a justification for your censorship.

I think you may be confused. It is I, not Wildcard, who brought up the lies with regard to the legality of whaling, and you don't need to put the word lie in quotes. I believe I stated the case pretty thoroughly. You can say that whaling is wrong, that it is inhumane, that it is not sustainable, and I would have not argument. However, to state that it is illegal is, to me, akin to PETA telling me that murder is illegal, and swatting a mosquito is murder, therefore swatting a mosquito is illegal. I know, the examples are a world apart, but where exactly on this slippery slope do you want to dig in and hold your ground?

I am emphatic about the lies these organizations tell because when they get caught, they do more harm to the cause than good. People who see these statemens for the lies they are actually become desensitized to the cause, and ultimately, fewer and fewer people give a damn about whales or sharks or fuzzy little limurs on Madigasgar or any other creature that might warrant saving.

Lies are very effective at gaining support for a cause...until you get caught. Then the whole thing collapses. Sorry if that is a bitter pill to swallow, but tell me I'm wrong and why.

Wildcard:
A well informed bully. BTW, Your mixing others comments with mine. If some one wants support for something, you don't start by adding trailers for hidden adgendas which is what the original poster did then accused me of having my own adgenda. "The dolphins are gone, more critters will go if we dont clean up the world. And the pope must die! ".... This is the point Im making.

I apologize for the mis attriubution, I munged these together probably upon reading the below two items.
None-the-less, I am disappointed by the fact that the original comment was censored and I therefore didn't have the chance to:
Wildcard:
look into it first, most are not what they seem on the surface.
since I didn't get to see the claims.

Since I didn't see it I can only surmise that a connection was being drawn between human inflicted ecological extinction and political genocide, which is not all that much of a strecth since both are ultimately economic warfare. but I will never know since the post was censored.

Wildcard:
This is exactly the hysterical uninformed type of person that allows a bunch of eco wackos to avoid work and spend there days gainful unemployed doing no good to anyone or anything crusing around on there tax exempt ships. They play on uninformed emotions of people that do not want to hear the truth or the real facts. When pointed out to them, they react just like this person.
Just for yor edification, the US has limited whaling as does Canada, russia, greenland and most every country attached to the Artic ocean.

Again to my point, if you want a cause, look into it first, most are not what they seem on the surface.

Wildcard:
http://www.nraila.org//Issues/Articles/Read.aspx?ID=156
OK, spun from the other side but the facts can be verified. Sorry folks. if you want to post your liberal feel good without knowing BS, maybe you should do a little research first cuz Im going to shoot you down every time without it. Mainstream?:kissbutt: (I love the new smilies!)
The problem with every one of these orginizations is there hidden adgendas. They use a fuzzy feel good cover to get funding then use it for something else entirely.

gangrel441:
I think you may be confused. It is I, not Wildcard, who brought up the lies with regard to the legality of whaling, and you don't need to put the word lie in quotes. I believe I stated the case pretty thoroughly. You can say that whaling is wrong, that it is inhumane, that it is not sustainable, and I would have not argument. However, to state that it is illegal is, to me, akin to PETA telling me that murder is illegal, and swatting a mosquito is murder, therefore swatting a mosquito is illegal. I know, the examples are a world apart, but where exactly on this slippery slope do you want to dig in and hold your ground?

I am emphatic about the lies these organizations tell because when they get caught, they do more harm to the cause than good. People who see these statemens for the lies they are actually become desensitized to the cause, and ultimately, fewer and fewer people give a damn about whales or sharks or fuzzy little limurs on Madigasgar or any other creature that might warrant saving.

Lies are very effective at gaining support for a cause...until you get caught. Then the whole thing collapses. Sorry if that is a bitter pill to swallow, but tell me I'm wrong and why.

to the point you have just made ,I do not think you are wrong, I do not much like rhetorical hyperbole and lies that condemn the source either. That is why I put "lie" in quotes, because it is a lie on the one hand and yet there is a lot of illegal poaching that occurs under the umbrella of such exception language.
Over-simplification in order to polarize is a big problem. It is a conondrum since "Joe Public" gets most of its MCNews from outlets that are corrupted by market forces. Quietly stating facts in the corner may win some friends, but if you are never heard you can't get far...
I don't have a solution, except to vote with my dollars whenever I know enough to do so.

chasanova:
to the point you have just made ,I do not think you are wrong, I do not much like rhetorical hyperbole and lies that condemn the source either. That is why I put "lie" in quotes, because it is a lie on the one hand and yet there is a lot of illegal poaching that occurs under the umbrella of such exception language.
Over-simplification in order to polarize is a big problem. It is a conondrum since "Joe Public" gets most of its MCNews from outlets that are corrupted by market forces. Quietly stating facts in the corner may win some friends, but if you are never heard you can't get far...
I don't have a solution, except to vote with my dollars whenever I know enough to do so.

I agree with you to an extent, but sometimes a whispered truth gets a lot more accomplished than a screamed lie. I think the only way this trend is going to ever get sorted out is by well-placed leaders by example. However, everytime Greenpeace or PETA screams, it becomes more and more likely that one of these types of leaders is going to get overlooked by the masses.

The real danger in lies is found within the risk of getting caught. The best prosecution witness in the world will be dismissed by the jury without question once he is caught in a lie. It is crucial that we play this game within the bounds of the truth.

If we as humans can't follow such examples and change our ways, we're all SOL. No skin off the planet's back. Maybe we take whales with us. But the primordial soup churns on. My bet is on the cockaroaches.

Extinction does not require any human effort, much to most peoples dismay. Ask the dinosaurs. Oh and by the way, global warming & cooling has been going on for millions of years in cycles...long before we could blame ourselves for it.

WesTexDiver:
Extinction does not require any human effort, much to most peoples dismay. Ask the dinosaurs. Oh and by the way, global warming & cooling has been going on for millions of years in cycles...long before we could blame ourselves for it.

Which has nothing to do with whether this instance (if there is one now) is our fault and, more importantly, something we want to have occur or want to try to control.

Back
Top Bottom