Yangtze River Dolphin extinct

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a marine setting:

"Off Copper Island, where the population was initially low, there were no animals left by 1754 . In 1768, explorer Martin Sauer entered in his journal an account of the death of the last known Steller's Sea Cow off Bering Island. So only 27 years after Steller first saw these sea cows, the Steller's Sea Cow became extinct. (Forsten & Youngman 1982)"

"None of them, in their plight, have I ever mourned, and yet all of them in memory and in shadows of death has mourned yet for me: they mourn yet for me. For in the wonders of life I was born, only to rejoice in a world of made of death: they mourn yet for me, they mourn yet for me."

ams511:
In a marine setting:

"Off Copper Island, where the population was initially low, there were no animals left by 1754 . In 1768, explorer Martin Sauer entered in his journal an account of the death of the last known Steller's Sea Cow off Bering Island. So only 27 years after Steller first saw these sea cows, the Steller's Sea Cow became extinct. (Forsten & Youngman 1982)"
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/09/060918-walking-shark.html
They come and they go, some call that evolution. It would be nice if they all could stay, I think.

H2Andy:
the problem is when a lot of them go at once thanks to us

that's not evolution, that's a man-made disaster

true...very true...and ultimately, will lead to man's demise. No matter what we do here, life will go on...we just won't necessarily be a part of it...

People act like we are not part of the environment. We are, a very distructive part but a part non the less. If dolphins figured out petrochemestry ( spelin geetin bad at this point of the night) would it not be part of the environment?

H2Andy:
the problem is when a lot of them go at once thanks to us

that's not evolution, that's a man-made disaster

Sure it is. Kill or be killed. Survival of the fittest. Besides, we are off to the moon and Mars and stars. Maybe we'll find Carl Sagan ....

Since everyone went off on a different tack...does this mean no one is interested in the vaquita?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom