Yamashiro wreck dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman:
to 180m? uh... that'll be many years from now if ever...:wink:

Bruce, congrats to the team. Too bad you had problems with the hammerhead...

Eh?

I was miles away. I have witnesses!

andibk:
The Yamashiro project was a big success. The dive team had spent three days on the wreck. First day the currents where so strong we could not even hook onto the wreck. Second day we could not hook onto the wreck so we decided to send down a heavy anchor with alot of rope and a bunch of floats. I had problems with the special electronics unit I had and used the standard electronics but only decided to do a depth of 125 meters. Pim the other bottom diver had equipment problems on the surface and had to abort. Cedric was able to reach the top of the wreck at 180 meters. The bottom of the wreck was at roughly 200 meters. Decompression lasted around 6 hours. We went back on day three to find are descent line missing. We put together another shot line only to have it snap when we tried to bring it up and make some adjustments.

andibk
success despite the equip problems and snapped ropes? wow, you guys have major cohones for sure!

congrats on the dive!

Jag

pakman:
BTW, Cedric has a nice recount of the dive on his webpage...

http://www.cedricverdier.com/diary.html

Didn't I mention the currents would be treacherous....? Didn't I say the surface currents would run counter to the sub-surface current...? Didn't I say you'd need to duct -tape your mask to your mask....?

Anyway, at least they all made it back safely....:coffee:

TWOMIXDIVER
Yes you hit the nail right on the head. The worst part for me was I had to swim to far to get to the down line. By the time I reached the downline I was totally out of breath. As you know rebreathers only give a ample amount of air. By the time I could some what start the descent slowly. I only remember it being fairly strong underwater was around 125 meters. At 125 meters I just went through a thermocline and then remember raping my arms and legs around the line so I did not get blown off the line. Getting blown off the line is one thing I did not want to happen. strong currents going out to sea I would have wound up in who knows where. With this experience the next dives should go a bit better. I have already been giving thought on how I would want to do it better and what equipment I will use instead. The Inspiration is good only if you modify it but the MEG is a much better RB. I would definetly like to carry larger on board gas tanks. The smaller 2-3 liters tanks just do not get it on really long dives. Even with the shorter 3 hour run time I had and the low pressure 02 fills I only ended up with around 5 bar of 02 in the tank. I did have a larger 5 liter tank I clipped onto my side I could have used but next time I will use a 5-7 liter on board tank on a MEG and leave spare safety 02 and 0c bailout on the descent/ascent line.

andibk

Good experiences next time you will getting better.
What is you bailout mix for the dives?
Diluent trimix %?
andibk:
TWOMIXDIVER
Yes you hit the nail right on the head. The worst part for me was I had to swim to far to get to the down line. By the time I reached the downline I was totally out of breath. As you know rebreathers only give a ample amount of air. By the time I could some what start the descent slowly. I only remember it being fairly strong underwater was around 125 meters. At 125 meters I just went through a thermocline and then remember raping my arms and legs around the line so I did not get blown off the line. Getting blown off the line is one thing I did not want to happen. strong currents going out to sea I would have wound up in who knows where. With this experience the next dives should go a bit better. I have already been giving thought on how I would want to do it better and what equipment I will use instead.
The Inspiration is good only if you modify it but the MEG is a much better RB.
You can modify the big tanks
I would definetly like to carry larger on board gas tanks. The smaller 2-3 liters tanks just do not get it on really long dives. Even with the shorter 3 hour run time I had and the low pressure 02 fills I only ended up with around 5 bar of 02 in the tank. I did have a larger 5 liter tank I clipped onto my side I could have used but next time I will use a 5-7 liter on board tank on a MEG and leave spare safety 02 and 0c bailout on the descent/ascent line.

andibk

I think the next trip should be either on April or May.

andibk:
TWOMIXDIVER
Yes you hit the nail right on the head. The worst part for me was I had to swim to far to get to the down line. By the time I reached the downline I was totally out of breath. As you know rebreathers only give a ample amount of air. By the time I could some what start the descent slowly. I only remember it being fairly strong underwater was around 125 meters. At 125 meters I just went through a thermocline and then remember raping my arms and legs around the line so I did not get blown off the line. Getting blown off the line is one thing I did not want to happen. strong currents going out to sea I would have wound up in who knows where. With this experience the next dives should go a bit better. I have already been giving thought on how I would want to do it better and what equipment I will use instead. The Inspiration is good only if you modify it but the MEG is a much better RB. I would definetly like to carry larger on board gas tanks. The smaller 2-3 liters tanks just do not get it on really long dives. Even with the shorter 3 hour run time I had and the low pressure 02 fills I only ended up with around 5 bar of 02 in the tank. I did have a larger 5 liter tank I clipped onto my side I could have used but next time I will use a 5-7 liter on board tank on a MEG and leave spare safety 02 and 0c bailout on the descent/ascent line.

andibk

You are right again, I am considering giving her another try sometime around March or April. Bottom mix was a 5/75 we carried on us plus a 9/61 (or something like that). I also carried a 5 liter 02 tanks (which I can hopefully get away without having to carry next tim). On the line we had tanks staged from 60 meters all the way to the surface. I can not remember the mixes off the top of my head but will try and post that info when I get back home. We had to have enough tanks on the line in case of a total RB failure. We did not want to take any more chances then we had to especially when the nearest chamber is in Cebu.

andibk

Sound good!
Please send me email, can I can join you guys :D
Jason
andibk:
You are right again, I am considering giving her another try sometime around March or April. Bottom mix was a 5/75 we carried on us plus a 9/61 (or something like that). I also carried a 5 liter 02 tanks (which I can hopefully get away without having to carry next tim). On the line we had tanks staged from 60 meters all the way to the surface. I can not remember the mixes off the top of my head but will try and post that info when I get back home. We had to have enough tanks on the line in case of a total RB failure. We did not want to take any more chances then we had to especially when the nearest chamber is in Cebu.

andibk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom