Y-Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ktomlinson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just starting to look at diving with a Y or H valve and am curious why Y valves are hard to find? I have found plenty of H valves, but all references to Y valves are at least 3-5 years old. Do we know something about Y valves now that we didnt know 3-5 years ago (failures?) ?

Only one mfg Y valves is Beauchat and I think they stopped making them. Especially for the english standards. You might find them for metric.

There is a good, short thread on Y and H valves here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/239164-h-valve-vs-y-valve.html

I was interested in getting a Y-valve as I thought (mistakenly) that it was an adapter that I could put onto an existing tank w/valve - a sort of adapter. I was wrong - the Y-valve replaces the normal valve - you have to remove the old valve and put the new one in. That pretty much sunk the deal for me since I rent tanks and I was not going to buy three Y-valves to put onto three rental tanks for three dives. I opted instead for a pony bottle (19 cu ft). I believe that nowadays most people opt for doubles or a pony or very good buddy discipline and combinations thereof.

I've got a bunch of the Beuchat ones (6) that fit US tanks. They were rather expensive, in the neighborhood of $ 250 each, and that was several years ago. They're very nice valves and I think they're a much better design than an H-valve (which look dorky to me). I don't know if Beuchat still makes them, Beuchat was never a big player here in the US, and given the tiny slice of the US market, combined with the worldwide recession, I can easily imagine why they may no longer manufacture an 'imperial' (US) version.

The beauchat y-valves are the only modern y-valve I could find (but even then the threads were 4 years old). I found an old scubapro y-valve on eBay, but it had the old style metal knobs, and it was just yoke. I can find plenty of h-valves, but I am just curious why y-valves fell out of favor or if the h-valve is a superior valve in some way that I am missing.

The kool kids all went to doubles. The newest batch of koolest kids are doing side-mount.

It's only a matter of sales volume. The Beuchat valve is far superior to any H valve on the market. The demand for it was too small for the manufacturer to keep them in stock. I use one on a 130 because it saves me from changing my double reg config when I dive single tank, plus I like the nice redundancy.

The kool kids all went to doubles. The newest batch of koolest kids are doing side-mount.

Pretty much.

Y valves don't offer much over a single tank. If you "really" need redundancy you need doubles or sidemount. Sidemount being the new "independents". If you "sorta" need redundancy most people opt for a pony.

The Beuchat Y valves are quite a bit nicer than H valves which have funky outlets and knob orientations. The Beuchat Ys were always really expensive though and I suspect their market collapsed on price-point. For instance you can easily buy a manifold (all 3 valves) for the price of one Beuchat Y valve.

OP, I personally prefer a Y-valve to an H-valve. We were required to use one during my Cavern and Basic Cave course in the late 80's, which was my introduction to them. I used an H-valve a couple of times a few years after that when rec diving in the Great Lakes, but preferred the Y-valve almost always because of its simplicity, the way it positions my 1st stages, and the position of the valve knobs. (I've attached a recent photo on one of my recent SB posts. Take a look.)

When drysuit diving with a single tank in cold water, the Y-valve provides a bit of buoyancy redundancy: BC is inflated from one post, while drysuit is inflated from the other--a good thing, if one post needs to be shut down during a dive.

I purchased a couple of Sherwood Y-valves from Northeast Scuba Supply a couple of years ago at a closeout price. You might check with them.

Couple of things, though: My Sherwood Y-valves are yoke valves. They won't fit my PST HP cylinders. And if they are used on narrow cylinders (e.g., Steel 72) and you need to use a yoke adaptor on your first stages, the first stages might be uncomfortably close to the back of your head. (I can't comfortably use my Poseidon regs with my Y-valve on my steel 72, for example.)

A friend of mine did Isle Royale rec dives using a Y-valve mounted on one of his older PST 104's, which seemed a really neat package. I did Whitefish Point (MI) rec dives using a Y-valve mounted on an OMS 108/112, and really loved this package.

Hope this helps.

rx7diver, I think I would prefer a Y over a H-valve, although I have never used either one. The y valves just look like they would hold up better, and I think that I would prefer the symmetry the y valve offers. I just took cavern and plan on doing more cavern diving in the future, and though not required, redundant regulators would be preferable. I was able to find some y-valves (on eBay, and had an offer from a regular SB poster to sell me some) but all were yoke, and I am holding out for DIN. If I get any I am going to need 4 or them, so I am pretty sure that unless Beuchat starts making them again, or someone getting rid of theirs messages me here, that the chances of me getting them are slim.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom