Y-Valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rx7diver, I think I would prefer a Y over a H-valve, although I have never used either one. The y valves just look like they would hold up better, and I think that I would prefer the symmetry the y valve offers. I just took cavern and plan on doing more cavern diving in the future, and though not required, redundant regulators would be preferable. I was able to find some y-valves (on eBay, and had an offer from a regular SB poster to sell me some) but all were yoke, and I am holding out for DIN. If I get any I am going to need 4 or them, so I am pretty sure that unless Beuchat starts making them again, or someone getting rid of theirs messages me here, that the chances of me getting them are slim.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Beuchat Y-valves have redundant (2) dip tubes. Suck up rust, a piece of blue tape or other debris in the dip tube of an H-valve, and you are SOL with both regs.

And if I'm not mistaken, the Beuchat Y-valves have redundant (2) dip tubes. Suck up rust, a piece of blue tape or other debris in the dip tube of an H-valve, and you are SOL with both regs.

You are right, two dip tubes. Although this is an added safety feature the important point is that the Y valve comes as one unit, machined in one piece. H valves are made of a few separate parts that can come apart at the worst of times.

In this post: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dir/239164-h-valve-vs-y-valve.html one poster claimed that Beuchat Y-valves had one dip tube while another claimed that they made one model with two dip tubes.

As the picture shows The Beuchat has two dip tubes and also independent air paths, two complete valves in one.

Yup. Wish I could get my hands on a couple.

OP, I personally prefer a Y-valve to an H-valve. ...

A friend of mine did Isle Royale rec dives using a Y-valve mounted on one of his older PST 104's, which seemed a really neat package. I did Whitefish Point (MI) rec dives using a Y-valve mounted on an OMS 108/112, and really loved this package.

I should have emphasized that these were buddy dives within rec limits (non-deco, non-overhead, shallower than 130 ffw). As others have pointed out, the Y-valve (or H-valve) does NOT provide one with an independent gas supply. An independent gas supply is "absolutely necessary" for more advanced dives. You probably realized all this already.

BTW, my Sherwood Y-valves have a single snorkel.

And the photos I referred to can be seen here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...126-freedom-plate-first-dive.html#post5447545

rx7diver, I think I would prefer a Y over a H-valve, although I have never used either one. The y valves just look like they would hold up better, and I think that I would prefer the symmetry the y valve offers. I just took cavern and plan on doing more cavern diving in the future, and though not required, redundant regulators would be preferable. I was able to find some y-valves (on eBay, and had an offer from a regular SB poster to sell me some) but all were yoke, and I am holding out for DIN. If I get any I am going to need 4 or them, so I am pretty sure that unless Beuchat starts making them again, or someone getting rid of theirs messages me here, that the chances of me getting them are slim.

search for Aqualung TAG valve. A non symmetric Y valve. I just bought 2 of them.
But fit only for metric tanks

I was looking into Y valves a year or so back so I could use my Double Hose Reg on one post and a newer regulator on the other for octo and BC air. After considering the prices for Y and H valves I bought a Pony and use a J valve on the back gas. I only use the Pony when diving deep or when my instructor buddy has a class around. I wasn't looking for an independent gas supply, it just worked out that way.

It would have looked better with the Y valve 'cause I like diving unusual gear.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom