Y valve vs H valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One can purchase an H valve setup from DGX for 3/4 NPS threaded tank necks. The valves are 200 bar DIN so they can be converted with a screw in adapter to use with yoke regulators as well:

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-premium-modular-valve-right-typical-side
dx-722411_1b.jpg

https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-premium-h-connector-fits-right-typical-side-modular-valve
dx-722421_1.jpg

-Z

I am familiar - I prefer the config on a twin or r even a y, the vertical nob on the extension is weird to reach.

You can always spin it around to face downward and mount the 1st stage from the other side. In fact Beuchat's current Y valve is designed like that with the 1st stages mounted in opposition.

-Z

You can always spin it around to face downward and mount the 1st stage from the other side. In fact Beuchat's current Y valve is designed like that with the 1st stages mounted in opposition.

-Z

trying to picture that. I guess that would make the handle slightly easier to acccess.

I was also just considering inverting the tank for easier access. --i have two bad shoulders.

View attachment 678973
trying to picture that. I guess that would make the handle slightly easier to acccess.

I was also just considering inverting the tank for easier access. --i have two bad shoulders.

With 2 bad shoulders, to realistically access your valves without issue, you might consider one of the following:
1. side mount
2. wear your tank inverted
3. plan to slide one arm out of your bcd/harness and pull your rig around towards your front when addressing an issue that requires valve manipulation.

All the options at your disposal, including valve types, have their pros and cons.

If you decide to go with an inverted tank, there are halo brackets so the tank can stood inverted on surface when doffing/donning your gear:

VALVE PROTECTORS
mages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ76r1CIiOGnJE5aWD_jM0Ygkhc9JK-fe-nCJapp9b_588ctHAdATbxjF-Rw65KpWKQ9hA&usqp=CAU.jpg

-Z

View attachment 678973

With 2 bad shoulders, to realistically access your valves without issue, you might consider one of the following:
1. side mount
2. wear your tank inverted
3. plan to slide one arm out of your bcd/harness and pull your rig around towards your front when addressing an issue that requires valve manipulation.

All the options at your disposal, including valve types, have their pros and cons.

If you decide to go with an inverted tank, there are halo brackets so the tank can stood inverted on surface when doffing/donning your gear:

VALVE PROTECTORS
View attachment 678978

-Z

Good info! I was thinking of doing a side mount with a high-pressure hose between them and an isolator valve. I don't want to have to worry about going back and forth. But honestly, I feel back gas is more streamlined. I can get to valves currently but think inverted will be easier and that is the route I am thinking about most.

Good info! I was thinking of doing a side mount with a high-pressure hose between them and an isolator valve. I don't want to have to worry about going back and forth. But honestly, I feel back gas is more streamlined. I can get to valves currently but think inverted will be easier and that is the route I am thinking about most.

@medic505 ,

Not too long ago some people would do "side mount" using a single cylinder. People used to call this "monkey diving" (for some reason or other).

I personally know one person who was diving an old-school plastic backpack that "broke" at depth while early into a recreational Caribbean dive. He continued, and completed, the dive holding his cylinder (old school PST 72, IIRC) under one arm.

rx7diver

@medic505 ,

Not too long ago some people would do "side mount" using a single cylinder. People used to call this "monkey diving" (for some reason or other).

I personally know one person who was diving an old-school plastic backpack that "broke" at depth while early into a recreational Caribbean dive. He continued, and completed, the dive holding his cylinder (old school PST 72, IIRC) under one arm.

rx7diver
LOL when I got certified one of the dives I did was search and recovery. Our instructor forgot the lift bag, so he just gave us his BC and finished the dive holding his tank under his arm.

I think that if ever I got to the point where there was no possible way I could reach valves on a back-mounted cylinder, I would simply "belly mount" the cylinder--you know, diagonal-ish, across the front of my torso. Narrow (e.g., 5.5", 6", or 6.5" OD) cylinder. Maybe, rigged with double-D-ring quick-releases top and bottom (so that it could be quickly jettisoned). Has the additional benefit of very short hoses!

Careful to keep my teeth when I giant-stride or back-roll in.

(For thick wetsuits, I'll be glad I've held on to my Scubapro Stab Jacket BCD!)

I know, I know. Some of us here are thinking: No agency teaches that!

ETA: Others are thinking: New C-Card!

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom