Xanaxed buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanax is often used for depression. Depending on how long your friend has been taking it and if he is taking it correctly. It takes a few weeks for the body to adjust on it. I have been diving with people who are on it. We waited till they were stable then hit the water. no different then diving with someone who has stable bipolar.

Good luck

adrisen:
Xanax is often used for depression. Depending on how long your friend has been taking it and if he is taking it correctly. It takes a few weeks for the body to adjust on it. I have been diving with people who are on it. We waited till they were stable then hit the water. no different then diving with someone who has stable bipolar.

Good luck

There's no mention of the body physically adapting, the adaptation you speak of is mental.
In addition however, it's noted that if they had to suddenly swim hard (exert themselves), their heart rate may not increase as expected which means they'll have very little stamina when needed the most. While nothing goes wrong on 98.5% of the dives we all do, when you need them the most, they might not be capable of helping you.

Xanax use while diving is unsafe.

Xanax is the most addictive and problematic of the benzodiazepine class. I rarely prescibe it. I agree that the use of xanax is an absolute contraindication for diving. The cognitive effects are intensified at depth. Also, due to the short halflife of the drug, people who use it for extended periods of time are predisposed to withdrawal seizures. The worst case of withdrawal I have ever seen was due to xanax and other benzodiazepines.

From http://www.scuba-doc.com/psych.htm :

Benzodiazepines
Medications in this group used to treat anxiety include: Alprazolam/Xanax, Chlordiazepoxide/Librium, Clonazepam/Klonopin, Clorazepate/Tranxene, Diazepam/Valium, Halazepam/Paxipam, Lorazepam/Ativan, Oxazepam/Serax, Prazepam/Centrax.
Side Effects Adverse to diving include
· Drowsiness: This is a common side effect. Make sure you know how you react to this medicine before driving or using dangerous machinery.
· Dizziness: Be careful about standing up quickly, going up and down stairs, and driving.
· Difficulty learning: This is an unusual side effect and tends to go away quickly with continued use.

Not sure I'd be diving with him unless he's been on it for a long time already.

Back
Top Bottom