Xanaxed buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
I have been diving with a buddy who started Xanax (who isnt on these drugs, to me it seems like they give these things out like candy). He generally has a responsible level of buddy & situational awareness. But when he is on his Xanax he seems to not take things as seriously as I think he should. I'm not going into the details about what he did or didnt do, but I'm wondering if other buddies have experienced this with divers and how these things might, or might not, be slightly impairing thier judgement. Thank you.

I spent 12 years in the medical field... I've seen what these drugs do to cognitive function. It is my opinion that unless a drug has been cleared by dive physicians, then they should not be used. I am a firm believer that mind-altering medication should not be used when life-or-death decisions must be made.... to clarify, Xanax is an anti-anxiety medication (similar to Valium). If you have problems where you are having high anxiety, then you aren't mentally prepared for a dive. If you take Xanax, then you might not take notice of the normal anxiety that we (humans) use every day to tip us off to things that might be wrong. Your buddy isn't taking things seriously because the medication makes him very relaxed and calm. He probably feels like nothing is ever wrong when he's on it.... YOU however, should feel like something is VERY wrong if you are diving with someone who won't notice when you're in peril.... or the subtle changes which a good buddy would notice to prevent tragedy.

Xanax and Alcohol have somewhat similar phamacological effects (when compared to antipsychotics or stimulants or dissociative anaesthetics or whatnot...) -- it would not be surprising if one of the side effects of Xanax in some people would be impaired judgement. If you're seeing this behavior in a dive buddy, I'd think you have cause to be concerned...

Here's an excerpt from drugs.com

What should I avoid while taking Xanax?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Xanax will cause drowsiness and may cause dizziness. If you experience drowsiness or dizziness, avoid these activities.
• Avoid alcohol while taking Xanax. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness caused by Xanax.
• Xanax may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, seizure medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any other medicine without first talking to your doctor.

Just what I suspected.
Wonder how many divers take this stuff.
Thank you.

FFMDiver,
If your buddy just recently started the medication I would wait 4 to 6 weeks and see how he is then. Just make some casual observation when your around him. If he seems slightly impaired then ropbably best to not dive with him. If he has been on the medication for several weeks already and he has the issues you are concerned about then its probaly best not to dive with him.

A better DAN article directly related to Xanax:

http://diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=38

It outlines the fact the person taking some of these anti-depressants may not generate the the needed cardio response when a physically challenging situation arises. That means they wouldn't be able to respond when needed the most. This would be a contraindication to diving in my opinion.

I agree with DaytonaDave and the others on this one. Anxiety (or Panic Disorder) is a condition that could interfere with one's judgement in a stressful situation underwater and, in my opinion, is an absolute contraindication to diving. If ever asked, I doubt I'd ever medically clear a patient for diving if he/she had anxiety that was severe enough to require Xanax.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom