X-Shorts with Pockets: Good or Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wore mine for two weeks diving in Palau. In fact, they were the only thing I wore besides BP and wings (until I managed to fry my shoulders). Didn’t catch much flack for wearing them either. Can’t see wearing them over the drysuit though, having your shorts end up around your knees while diving a drysuit would be dangerous, humiliating and hilarious.

I definitely like the bungee tip.

Dave

ColdH2Odvr:
they were the only thing I wore besides BP and wings....having your shorts end up around your knees while diving a drysuit would be dangerous, humiliating and hilarious.

Better than having them end up at your knees while wearing nothing else!

JAG

Mo2vation:
The thigh pocket is the only one that is big enough to hold anything decent and still uses velcro. The rest are zippered, and zippers tend to jam when you need them most.

I've used the thigh pocket and it is a pain. It loops over your harness and then and elastic velcro band holds it to your thigh. It really is a PITA. I ended up slipping it onto my harness where the can light would go, but it's really too high for easy access there.

The only way to go is sewn/glued pockets or the X-Shorts.

littlemermaid:
The sizes run a bit large and most guys seem to wear M or L.
I was curious about this. So if I'm wearing jeans that are 32, but the actual waist measurement is closer to a 36, would a M be better than the L for use over a 3mm only? Sounds like it.

Hey
Have some of those shorts myself. Very satisfied so far. Here is a link that discusses sizing a bit:

http://scubaboard.com/t60174.html

JAG

RichLockyer:
I was curious about this. So if I'm wearing jeans that are 32, but the actual waist measurement is closer to a 36, would a M be better than the L for use over a 3mm only? Sounds like it.
Probably would go for the Medium, especially if just over a 3mm suit....but be sure and measure your thighs, too. We have been taking thigh measurements all week with our family in town to get a better idea....unfortunately everyone seems to be about 22-24 inches and would be a medium (genetics!).

TaTa,
E

littlemermaid:
idea....unfortunately everyone seems to be about 22-24 inches and would be a medium (genetics!).
Not sure where you're measuring, but while sitting, measuring at the upper portion of my thigh, I'm getting 21/22, so ya... a medium would probably do it.

headhunter:
Ken, are you sure you don't want to wear these down on Melrose? :wink:

Have already modeled them to the (dis)approval of my wife and a few of her silly friends. Chicks - whatever.

Here's a shot wearing the BPD over my 3mm warm water rig. FWIW, I ordered size Large. I'm 5'7", 173 with a 34" waist and manly theighs, and these are actually a little big on me.

Love the collapsable pockets - Wetnotes right, Back up/safety stuff left (TV antenna in the back....)

These will NOT be making an appearance on Melrose in the near future, thank you very much.

k

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom