X-Shorts with Pockets: Good or Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hijumpr:
I didn't want to glue pockets on both my 5mm and 3mm wetsuits, but still needed pockets after DIR-F. Used them through Rec-Triox (needed them for when they asked for my mask...). I really like them, and don't think they are bad looking, although we did get strange looks from the DM in Coz. I suggest getting them, they carry alot of needed gear. They have upper grommets like my DS, so you can tie a bungee from grommet to grommet and click off your double ender equipped stuff.

As for the DS, get them glued on. It looks and functions better.

Tyson
Tyson,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll wait for a day or two to see if I get any cautions about the shorts, but otherwise, I'll probably order them at the beginning of next week.

Christian

One last thought, Christian (to echo Echo, as it were...)

The x-shorts are not sized correctly. I would normally wear an XL in just about everything - I have a 36 inch waist, and am a big guy at 6'3" and 215 pounds. But I could get two of me in the XL x-shorts at the same time... really.

I bought the Large size, but wish I had bought the medium. I could wear the larges over my drysuit if I needed to, and the mediums would fit me a lot better with my wetsuit(s).

I'd also advise that you replace the cotton drawstring with some bungee, FWIW, but other than that I have been very happy with them.

-d

Sizing...
My waist is abotu 33 to 34, which is in the upper range of the Medium. I got the large and they fit my 6.5mm wetsuit, and are a little snug on my trilam with 200 undies. So for me, I might have gone for the XL.

I do have pretty full legs and butt, though...

JAG

I have worn my x-Shorts on about 7 dives now and really like them. The shorts are well built, there is velcro on the sides of each pocket to allow you to resize the pocket to either a slim line (for wetnotes etc) or to create a larger pocket f(for spare mask, smb, spool etc.) OK, their not the best looking things out there but I have had a number of people at dive sites express interest in them

I have been using the x shorts for about 6 months. they are nice but one issue I've had is the stitching pulled out where the bungee loop pulls over (when you remove stuff) the answer to this problem is just be careful when you are pulling out your bungee loop and dont let it hang down against the stitching

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Does anyone know if there is a local dive shop in the Los Angeles area that carries x-shorts?

If not, I just need to decide who to buy them online from.

Christian

headhunter:
Thanks to everyone for your responses.

Does anyone know if there is a local dive shop in the Los Angeles area that carries x-shorts?

If not, I just need to decide who to buy them online from.

Christian
I think you and me will be the only guys in So Cal with these black pocket diapers.

Ditto getting pockets added to your primary exposure / dry suit. I'll be using the BPD for my upcoming skin suit warm water weenie diving.

K

Mo2vation:
I think you and me will be the only guys in So Cal with these black pocket diapers.

Ditto getting pockets added to your primary exposure / dry suit. I'll be using the BPD for my upcoming skin suit warm water weenie diving.

K
The way I look at it, we'll be starting a fashion trend in the area. I figure if we wear them on Melrose, people will start asking where they can get theirs!

I have some friends in a thrash punk band that recently opened for System of a Down at the Greek. Maybe that would be a good way to introduce them outside the diving community. Then people would just think that we were angst ridden teenagers out for a dive and wouldn't pay much attention. :wink:

Ken, have you figured out where you're going to get yours?

Christian

Ive had the FifthD pockets on shorts for about 6 months now. I love them, and they are practical as hell since I dont have to buy multiple set for diffrent wetsuits.

If you have a black suit you cant even tell.

OK... I just ordered a pair of X-Shorts from http://www.fifthd.com/ where I paid no tax, but paid shipping. So that comes out the same as if I had bought them locally.

Now it's your turn Ken. Step up to the plate and make the BPD a fashion trend in SoCal. :wink:

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom