X-Shorts with Pockets: Good or Bad?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Hey Chris
I just got a pair of these myself, though I have not dove with them. Got them for similar reasons you seem to be thinking about. I have 3 sets of suits that I use almost equally and it is much more economically viable to get the one pair of shorts if they could fit all three. I think the key is in choosing the right size. If you can try them on, I am sure that would help, I was not able to.

Here is another running thread on the shorts, one or two peple in that thread own the shorts as well...
http://scubaboard.com/t60174.html

JAG
Hey Jag,

Thanks for the link to that thread. It was helpful. I'll be interested in knowing what you think once you've had a chance to dive with them.

Christian

Who cares about looks when it comes to functionality?!?!

I've heard a few people mention how bad they look. I just can't see it. I guess that doesn't say much for the rest of my wardrobe.

I guess they could make a version of the shorts in some pukey neon color or something!! Keep the sharks away...

JAG

Hmmm...so we have some "fashion" critics? I have some pictures of myself diving in these (taken by AG) on my photo page www.homepage.mac.com/echorowe under the New Years heading, if you want to see what they look like over a 5mm wetsuit. Really once you have a backplate on I don't think anyone even notices...but I do prefer to just have pockets sewn onto my drysuit. The sizes run a bit large and most guys seem to wear M or L....there is some more info on them as well at www.divextras.com. I have since customized mine with a little patch on the pocket just to liven them up a bit.....

E

headhunter:
Hey Jag,

Thanks for the link to that thread. It was helpful. I'll be interested in knowing what you think once you've had a chance to dive with them.

Christian

Actually,
I had so much outlay this month with the Eclipse setup and other gear (shorts included) that there's no budget left for anything to put in the pockets!

Maybe next month...

JAG

headhunter:
David, If you were going to purchase a new dry suit, would you consider using these X-Shorts instead of gluing pockets to the new suit?

I ask because I will be waiting until after taking a DIR-F class to purchase a dry suit, but will probably replace my old wetsuit with another wetsuit in the meanwhile. I thought that these pockets might just be an easy solution for both suits.

Christian, no, I would go with the glued-on pockets on my drysuit personally... for one, as UP says, the shorts can act like "butt gaiters" and can keep air from moving through your suit (to some extent, anyway). And for two, my wife calls me the "buttless wonder" :D and I don't like having the shorts falling down while I'm walking around on the surface... I think you'll find glued-on pockets a better choice, even if you have a butt... but that's JMO...

-d

David Evans:
Christian, no, I would go with the glued-on pockets on my drysuit personally... for one, as UP says, the shorts can act like "butt gaiters" and can keep air from moving through your suit (to some extent, anyway). And for two, my wife calls me the "buttless wonder" :D and I don't like having the shorts falling down while I'm walking around on the surface... I think you'll find glued-on pockets a better choice, even if you have a butt... but that's JMO...

-d
David.

Ah! I get it.

I've never used a dry suit, but anticipate getting one in the future as I progress into longer and deeper dives where thermal protection becomes more important.

I hadn't thought about the "butt gaiter" effect, but it makes sense. I guess you could get them a bit larger to lessen that effect. It does seem that glued on pockets for your own dry suit would be preferrable though.

It sounds like these shorts would be best used in a travel situation with rental suits.

I may want to try them with a wetsuit and see how I like them since it doesn't sound like anyone has any objections to their use. In fact, they sound like a good idea when travelling anyway. And apparently, they are recommended by some DIR instructors.

Thanks for the reply.

Christian

jagfish:
Wow LM
Those sure are some great shots. I'd say you look in pretty good form, shorts included. Obvioulsy an accomplished diver.

JAG
Thanks for the compliment ; )

On a side note, this is just a sampling of some great shots from that trip, and there are some AMAZING pictures on Andrew's website at www.5thd-x.com under both Liquid Pix and also in the photo gallery (Education link)...if you are interested.

Personally the shorts have worked beautifully and are really nice for wetsuits especially if you have different thicknesses, rental, etc. I dove them once over my shell suit and was fine, but more akward looking on the surface. I prefer the sewn/glued on approach for my drysuit, but still plan on using my X-shorts for wetsuit diving.

TaTa,
E

littlemermaid:
Thanks for the compliment ; )

On a side note, this is just a sampling of some great shots from that trip, and there are some AMAZING pictures on Andrew's website at www.5thd-x.com under both Liquid Pix and also in the photo gallery (Education link)...if you are interested.

Personally the shorts have worked beautifully and are really nice for wetsuits especially if you have different thicknesses, rental, etc. I dove them once over my shell suit and was fine, but more akward looking on the surface. I prefer the sewn/glued on approach for my drysuit, but still plan on using my X-shorts for wetsuit diving.

TaTa,
E
Hey E!

Those were some cool pics!

I couldn't tell you were wearing anything but a wetsuit in those pics. I'm sure that will make Ken feel better about getting a pair to take to Florida. Can't make a fashion faux-pas when he's representing SoCal! :wink:

So far, they sound like a good investment, since I've really only heard positive comments from people who have used them.

Thanks for the feedback.

Christian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom