X Shorts or glue on pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmm,

I think it is a tie between making my own shorts with either Halcyon or DeepSeaSupply
Maybe I should make my own shorts. Both of which are outrageously overpriced.I can buy much much cheaper pockets locally by beaver etc from £20 upward, so i might look into them. Ok so you can't put a price on safety and practicality...
There is no need for some manufacturers to charge as much as they do. It's 'designer' brands for scuba diving now.

Does the extra neoprene call for an extra pound of weight or does the extra layer make no difference?
Has anybody made their own pocket shorts?
Should I go with neoprene, running shorts. cycling shorts. Experimentation is going to be pricey. I am thinking thin neoprene for the added warmth the should be harder wearing.

Nic

Hmm,

I think it is a tie between making my own shorts with either Halcyon or DeepSeaSupply
Maybe I should make my own shorts. Both of which are outrageously overpriced.I can buy much much cheaper pockets locally by beaver etc from £20 upward, so i might look into them. Ok so you can't put a price on safety and practicality...
There is no need for some manufacturers to charge as much as they do. It's 'designer' brands for scuba diving now.

Does the extra neoprene call for an extra pound of weight or does the extra layer make no difference?
Has anybody made their own pocket shorts?
Should I go with neoprene, running shorts. cycling shorts. Experimentation is going to be pricey. I am thinking thin neoprene for the added warmth the should be harder wearing.

Nic

Not a woman, but making your own shorts is a great solution. That is what I did. I picked up a pair of 1 mil shorts from the LSS (local surf shop). I knew they fit correctly over my wetsuits.
I purchased pockets on sale for ~$24.00 and glued them on.

Tobin's pockets are eyebrow-raisingly expensive, but they are also different . . . being mounted on an oversized piece of neoprene means that the shear stress from opening and closing the pocket, or from putting things in it, aren't felt at the corners of the attachment to the underlying short or suit. That means you can glue them without as much likelihood of them slowly peeling off from the corners (which, in my experience, pockets which are just straight glued on will do). For this reason, I would also suggest that, no matter WHAT pockets you use, if you are DIYing some shorts, sew the pockets to the underlying material as well as gluing them. Of course, this means having the right machine and needles and thread to sew neoprene, and not just create a perforated strip to tear . . .

Those are the XS Scuba Highlanders of which I was writing. :)

Hi Jax. How much are they American? (probably in the tread somewhere, but it's Friday. :)) feeling lazy.

Tobin's pockets are eyebrow-raisingly expensive, but they are also different . . . being mounted on an oversized piece of neoprene means that the shear stress from opening and closing the pocket, or from putting things in it, aren't felt at the corners of the attachment to the underlying short or suit. That means you can glue them without as much likelihood of them slowly peeling off from the corners
Those pockets do look excellent for that reason. I also read somewhere else on the board about the ol' sewing trick.
I won;t be able to get hold of the XS Scuba Highlanders for a while but will post back here as soon as I can try them out.

Also;
I've tried several times to post about this, but my server won;t let me. If the info here is still current and people feel that it deserves its own thread then please start one.
The horrendous divegirl magazine is/was running a scuba gear survey for women to submit their opinions and reviews on scuba rig.
Dive Girl | The big kit survey

Nic

Back
Top Bottom