X Shorts or glue on pockets?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrsBBC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have any women here ever tried pocket shorts such as:

Scuba diving X-Shorts w/ cargo pockets for acc. XLarge | eBay

Highland by XS-Scuba 2mm Super Stretch Neoprene Pocket Shorts

I recently used the DiveRite thigh pocket, which clips onto the waist band. I found that it continually moved the pocket to the front of my thigh, even if I used a webbing keeper to prevent it from moving on my belt. I had other problems with the pocket too..

So, that brings me to whether or not to purchase 2 pockets at £90 ish each, plus the neoprene cement (allowing me to personally choose the pockets I require), or to purchase shorts with pockets affixed, and no choice of individual pockets at a considerably lower price.

I like the idea of being able to slip the shorts over whichever wetsuit I am using.
To sew pockets onto both my wetsuits would cost me a fortune. Aaand I still haven't affixed pockets to my drysuit.

Presumably these shorts are designed for men.
I am a size 14-16 and do not wish to wear shorts which fall down, or give me a horrendous camel toe.

Are these shorts comfortable and suitable for female divers, or should I get glueing?
and how effective are they over a membrane drysuit?

Thanks,
Nic

I'm going to be keeping an eye on this thread - thanks for starting it!

I've been wondering the same thing.

I'd have no problem gluing pockets on my wetsuit, except I have THREE wetsuits, and the really nice pockets are like $70 each. Erm... that's $420 in pockets. Even cheaper pockets would add up. Yeah, I could make some, but not sure I want to. Plus, in summer I don't wear any wetsuit.

So.... I looked at the X-shorts and the Highland brand that is similar - but only online and not in person. But, same as you, I discovered they only come in Men's sizes (annoying, and Men's pants do not fit me, and I also don't really like to buy from companies that don't make women's sizes, and Men's pants do not fit me....).

Right now I'm flip-flopping between gluing on bought pockets, but doing one suit at a time to minimize the financial pain; or making my own "X-shorts," probably using the pre-made pockets that I like the best (which I could then also wear when I dive in only a skin). I did dive with a pair of cargo shorts on over the skin last summer, and besides the pockets being way too small and not dive-gear-oriented, I could see that the concept could work.

So, it will be interesting to see what comes out of this thread :)

And if there are any women who find the X-shorts to be a good fit if they tend more to a "boyish" figure or to smaller-waist/larger hips (the latter making Men's pants not a good fit on me).

Blue Sparkle

I have the XS scuba highlander shorts - Love 'em!

That said, I also glued pockets on my 7mm. I bought the shorts to use with my White's Fusion drysuit. However, now that all is said and done, I think I will see about removing the pockets from my wetsuit - the XS scuba highlander pockets are bigger, better, and I can leave things in them and just move them from dive to dive.

The pockets make donning the 7mm more difficult, as I leave my 7mm inside out and instead 'roll' the suit up my legs and body. The pockets-part of the suit is a little more difficult to roll up as they are not as flexible.

Also, the XS Scuba Highlanders have D-rings on straps in the pocket. I clip 'stuff' to the straps, so when I have to yank out something like my spool or mask, nothing gets lost; I just have to stuff it all back in again.

I wear XS size, and these shorts are well-sized. The waist elastic is strong, but not uncomfortable, and it boasts a drawstring so no matter how much weight you put in, the shorts don't fall off.

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a pair of X shorts that I use when diving wet. It's probably the best pocket solution if you own multiple suits. They add a bit of bulk, but work fine.

I'm pretty sure TSandM uses or has used the X-shorts. If she doesn't weigh in here, you might shoot her a PM and ask her for a woman's POV.

Jax, is there a separate compartment for slates? the little hole in the corner of the slates always breaks, and then I can't attach them to the d ring.

KathyDee, what size/shape are you?
Do the shorts pull up high, or sit low on/below the hips?
Again, are there D rings or a section for dive slates?

Cheers for the replies, I have been playing with the idea of making my own shorts from cycling shorts, so that I know the shorts will stay in place all dive. Again, costly, and might not work as anticipated.

Nic

I use the OMS weight pouch and it fits on the webbing at the front of my BC where the BC clips together. It can be put horizontally or vertically. I have a weight integrated BC with pockets, so I don't need a whole lot more pocket space. When I've felt that I've wanted to carry more for particular dives, the weight pouch has been really useful.

I believe mine is the OMS BCA 269 Weight pouch, and you can see it and others here: OMS Backplate & Harness Accessories http://www.OMSdive.com

There is a similar one by Diverite called the clipper pocket (not sure about the size difference) and it and others can be found here: SCUBA Diving Equipment for Technical, Sidemount, Rebreather, Wreck and Cave Diving: Dive Rite, Inc - Product Catalog - Pockets

I put a thigh pocket on my thigh and I thought it looked ridiculous on me since I'm petite and it's on a wetsuit, so it didn't look quite right. The "weight pouch" is a little more discrete. It depends how much pocket space you need, I guess...

I use X-shorts with my Fusion, and used to use them with a wetsuit, when I dove wet. The lack of women's sizes isn't important, since they have a drawstring waist. You buy whatever size will go around your hips, and just pull the drawstring to keep them up. The drawstring on the current X-shorts is elastic, which is not good for keeping the shorts up well unless you have a very large difference between hips and waist, but you can replace it with a lacing-type string that you can tie, if you want. (I use a BP/W setup with a crotch strap, and as soon as I have that fastened, the shorts no longer go anywhere, so I haven't bothered.)

I started out using boy's cargo shorts, and they worked okay, but the pockets were pretty small.

The X-short pockets are simple bellows pockets. They do not have specific divisions for wetnotes or slates. I don't know of a pull-on short that does, but I suppose you could make your own shorts using Halcyon pockets, if you wanted that. They would end up costing more than the pre-made shorts.

One thing about the X-shorts -- the original ones would simply disintegrate after a while, so they didn't sell them for some time, and then came back with a better design. But the seams on those pockets eventually come apart, too; I've gotten very good at restitching them.

KathyDee, what size/shape are you?
Do the shorts pull up high, or sit low on/below the hips?
Again, are there D rings or a section for dive slates?

I'm a size small (5-6) and don't have an hour glass figure, but do have a narrow side profile to my waist. I seem to recall the drawstring cinches just above the hips. Since I haven't worn them in a while (the warm water gear is currently in storage) I can't be certain. But in over 100 dives I never had problems with how they fit or stayed on my hips.

There are no D rings in mine, but it's easy to tie a bungee loop in the pocket grommet and just use bolt clips to attach your accessories.

I use X-shorts with my Fusion, and used to use them with a wetsuit, when I dove wet. The lack of women's sizes isn't important, since they have a drawstring waist. You buy whatever size will go around your hips, and just pull the drawstring to keep them up. The drawstring on the current X-shorts is elastic, which is not good for keeping the shorts up well unless you have a very large difference between hips and waist, but you can replace it with a lacing-type string that you can tie, if you want. (I use a BP/W setup with a crotch strap, and as soon as I have that fastened, the shorts no longer go anywhere, so I haven't bothered.)
The XS Scuba Highland shorts have a non-stretching string.

I started out using boy's cargo shorts, and they worked okay, but the pockets were pretty small.

The X-short pockets are simple bellows pockets. They do not have specific divisions for wetnotes or slates. I don't know of a pull-on short that does, but I suppose you could make your own shorts using Halcyon pockets, if you wanted that. They would end up costing more than the pre-made shorts.

The pockets on the highlanders are also bellows, without separate area, but I just put a slate against the thigh - it slips in and out easily. The bellows also have velcro on the sides so they are not any more "out there" than they have to be.

One thing about the X-shorts -- the original ones would simply disintegrate after a while, so they didn't sell them for some time, and then came back with a better design. But the seams on those pockets eventually come apart, too; I've gotten very good at restitching them.

I haven't had mine long enough to write of reliability, but they seem exceptionally well made as are (IMO) all of XS Scuba stuff. I looked at the stitching and have no reservations recommending them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom