wrist!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deepy

Reaction score
I have just purchased my first computer. It is a Vyper too. I decided to buy a wrist-computer, because so I can have on my console the "old" mechanical instrument, and on my left wrist a second watch. That is why I would not recommend an air-intergrated computer to buy. I do not want to let only the computer compute for me, and I do not trust electronic instruments as much, as mechanical instruments...

And there is always what I have heard about wrist mounting....

Though it's possible to "lose" your console for a bit (have to fish around to recover it), you always know where your hand/wrist is.

Originally posted by TexasMike
And there is always what I have heard about wrist mounting....

Though it's possible to "lose" your console for a bit (have to fish around to recover it), you always know where your hand/wrist is.

That is very true...as long as you don't always leave your computer laying on the coffee table when you leave the house:rolleyes: hehe

I now have a console!

I dunno......

I have dived with a console and without; I'm beginning to favor without. Why? Because I rarely remember (need?) the compass, I know approximately my air consumption and do not need to check it as often as my depth and time (but check it often if the conditions warrant), and I prefer having my Vyper on my wrist (easier access to data on descent and ascent, etc). Most of the diving I do is in spots I have dived before and I know the bottom contour and layout (ie no need for a compass) and depths of the objective for that particular spot. There really isn't any three day planning needed for the type of diving I'm doing at this time in my career and that's ok by me.

So, I vote wrist placement.

On the note of mechanical versus electroninc: well, I've been diving with computers for about 10 years and have never had a failure, other than the occassional failure to turn it on at the surface. The computer has always been reliable in what I need it to do.

Cheers :)

I've been using the Vyper for quite a while, and I'm so comfortable with it I rarely bother using my console anymore (only for navigation and chking air consumption nearing end of dive). However, there have been occasions when i brought my Vyper up on shore to log my dive - yes, i m a compulsive logger and I make it a point to log all the details immediately after each dive to get down the best feelings and details - and when going in for the next dive, I would forget to bring my Vyper down.

Felt really lost without it, and that's when i had to fall back on my console for backup. Whilst electronics has proved to be reliable so far, there's always a first time and anything can happen. I believe a mechanical backup is still important, even though i rely totally in my Vyper.

Thanks for your views!

I value the opinions expressed on this board and appreciate your assistance in assembling my first set of gear.

Best regards; jbm

The only thing i'm not sure about it this,

I like to bug hunt, will a wrist mounted computer get in my way?

:boozer:

I like to bug hunt, will a wrist mounted computer get in my way?
Bad Fish we are not talkig about a PC here divecomputers are quite small these days :jester:

Michael

Bad Fish we are not talkig about a PC here divecomputers are quite small these days

Yes i am aware of that. have you ever gone bug hunting?
Some times you are required to reach into small cracks and hole to get to the bug.

:whack:

So, i'll post it again, has anyone run into problems with the
wrist mounted computer getting in the way?

I use both… An Oceanic Data Max Pro Plus air intergraded console dive computer and a wrist mounted Oceanic XTC-100 as my back up. Works for me.

Dive Safe……………………Arduous

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom